You are here

HIGH PITCH NOISE

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

HIGH PITCH NOISE

Postby Sirch24 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:10 am

Hello...I recently have been having trouble recording. I keep getting a high pitch humming noise. I've tried changing mics...I use a newer phantom power to connect usb to my mac. I never had an issue before. I tried changing all the cords and a new phantom power but no change. I have a sample of that it sounds like. Please help
Sirch24

Re: HIGH PITCH NOISE

Postby Tim Gillett » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:51 am

Sirch24 wrote:... I have a sample of that it sounds like....
Great, let's hear it.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:16 am

Sirch24 wrote:Hello...I recently have been having trouble recording. I keep getting a high pitch humming noise. I've tried changing mics...I use a newer phantom power to connect usb to my mac. I never had an issue before. I tried changing all the cords and a new phantom power but no change. I have a sample of that it sounds like. Please help

What do you mean by "a newer phantom power" ? Are you using the USB output from a mixer? if you are some of the cheaper ones have issues over USB, like a whine, or a hum, as Tim says, we need a sample.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:32 am

I think the OP means a Neewer phantom power unit. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-1-Chann ... 9087&psc=1
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:47 am

It's pretty unlikely to be a phantom power issue, and much more likely to be a ground-loop problem, probably between the monitor speakers and interface....

To diagnose we'll need to know precise details of all the equipment in the set up and how it is connected together -- and how it is all powered from the mains.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:50 am

I think you're probably right Wonks but what USB interface are you using @Sirch24?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........