You are here

Help identifying mic

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Help identifying mic

Postby transversal » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:07 am

hey yall, does anyone know what the lead vocal mic used in these videos is? it's not familiar to me and i haven't found it in any online stores. the way the videos are shot + the image quality also won't let me spot any brand names or markers on the mic itself. if anyone knows the maker and model, let me know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxyaxnorUlM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CdFtk8Fk2A

there also seems to be a wireless version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrMe9q3cOVU
transversal

Re: Help identifying mic

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:48 am

The one in the first video looks like an AKG C5900

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:04 pm

The middle one is definitely one of the AKG Tri Power mics but I wouldn't like to say which one. I know a singer who used to use one but now prefers an Audix OM5 as the AKG is one of those mics that only works well on certain voices.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:42 pm

IIRC there were only two Tri-Power mics, the D3600 and C5900. I have both (though both and no longer working) and the head/grill is different, the one with the square windows is the C5900, the D3600 has slots.

I preferred the C5900 to the D3600 (just another SM58 style dynamic), but as you say it was not anything special by modern standards. In fact I seem to remember it shared it's capsule with the C1000 :crazy:

edit :- there were 7 dynamics but all had the slotted grill, I can't find any other capacitor versions apart from the C5900 pictured above.

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/all-round-sound/2952
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:59 pm

The radio mic version the C5900M, had a very different look to it indeed.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:31 pm

Indeed

as did, what I assume is, the 'mk2' version C5900M?

But I'm not sure the wireless mic in the third vid is a C5900 though I think it probably is (at the very bottom of the page) :- http://www.soundlease.com/radio.htm

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby transversal » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:44 pm

you're right, that's the mic! i'm assuming it wasn't a very popular model - maybe that's why it was discontinued? it's not a model i see very often
transversal

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:48 pm

Manufacturers are always updating their lines. It gives the marketing people something to do. They have a reputation for being quite easy to break if dropped, certainly not as robust as an SM58!
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:35 pm

That may well be true, given that both mine are broken. They looked solid enough but internal the capacitor had a fair bit of fragile plastic. Not AKG's finest hour I'm afraid.

If the OP is looking for something with similar characteristics then the SE-H1 will get him in the ballpark* for SM58 money, or take a look at live vocal capacitors from Sennheiser and Neumann.

* I have five and really like them.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:11 pm

sE no longer make the H1. In fact they don't make any handheld condensers at all at the moment.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:54 am

True (Neumann KMS104 it is then :D ) but there are a few still around the retail marketplace.

WRT the Tri-Power AKGs, it was not such a daft concept as it might at first appear if only because putting a mic down on a table, only to catch a glimpse of it out of the corner of your eye, rolling towards the edge and, subsequently falling, grill first, to the floor is one of those "oh sh1t" moments we've all experienced.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:50 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:if only because putting a mic down on a table, only to catch a glimpse of it out of the corner of your eye, rolling towards the edge and, subsequently falling, grill first, to the floor is one of those "oh sh1t" moments we've all experienced.......
Occasionally amplified by sticking your foot out to try and break the fall but getting that wrong too and booting the damn thing across the room... :headbang: :oops:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:09 pm

or a mic stand or boom arm failing and watching as it takes the mic with it in slow motion to the floor - just out of reach!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)