You are here

Audio Test Kitchen. Cool!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Audio Test Kitchen. Cool!

Postby DC-Choppah » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:24 am

https://www.audiotestkitchen.com/

What do you hear?

There are a couple of mics that I never heard of that sound nice to me. Thanks for this.

But I have to admit that in this context the mics do sound quite similar to one another except for the high end color mostly. And a few at the bottom end.

Pretty cool though. Lots of fun.

What I am not sure I understand is: what does it mean to audition a mic for a full mix? I mean was it used on every source? I kind of envision a stereo pair of mics in front of the studio monitors picking up the sound of the whole mix?
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Re: Audio Test Kitchen. Cool!

Postby Ian Hlatky » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:37 pm

Hi DC Choppah,

Thanks. To answer your question, the "Stacked Effect" comprises a mix where every source in that mix was captured using the currently-selected microphone. The goal, if not obvious, is to magnify the personality of the mic and the differences among them. Also, in many project/home studio set-ups, it is not uncommon for a mic to be used on many sources for a given song, so understand the cumulative effect is important. If you are struggling to distinguish the differences between some of the mics, make sure you're in your normal studio environment, try the Stacked Effect, and use the frequency response curves to help focus your ears (I find the latter especially helpful when my ears are not 'warmed up'). Thanks!

Best,

Ian
Ian Hlatky

Re: Audio Test Kitchen. Cool!

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:47 pm

Hi Ian, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

And thanks also for that most informative first post :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker