You are here

Focusrite ISA430?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Focusrite ISA430?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:28 pm

I've obviously not seen your particular preamps, but I've seen several constructional designs he had published over the years and we discussed his 'Itza' designs on occasion. As I recall there was nothing unusual or exotic about them, so they should be fairly straightforward to fault-find.

What problems are you experiencing with them exactly?
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Focusrite ISA430?

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:30 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I've obviously not seen your particular preamps, but I've seen several constructional designs he had published over the years and we discussed his 'Itza' designs on occasion. As I recall there was nothing unusual or exotic about them, so they should be fairly straightforward to fault-find.

What problems are you experiencing with them exactly?

Thanks Hugh, I think it may be a PSU problem, sometimes they are just dead, and won't power up. Do you remember "The Box" by Tape Talk? a stereo field and phase meter? It has one of those attached to it and it gives strange readings sometimes, when everything should be OK I just get one red line straight up the middle, which means a mono signal, but sometimes it's fine, it's intermittent.
When SOS did an obituary on Mike, it featured a couple of surround processors that he built, his son gave these to me after he died. One has eight of his mic pre's in it, but as usual, nothing is labled! and it's a complex bit of kit, so I can't work out how to just use the preamps, also I don't have a PSU for it.
May be, at some point, we might meet up Hugh, and I'll show you these things, in the meantime, I'm going to open up the mic pre, and have a gentle poke around, I know Mike did say to me once that he had to re-seat the boards occasionally, so this may be the problem.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Previous