You are here

Accordion and synth, microphones?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Accordion and synth, microphones?

Postby MOF » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:52 pm

I think you need to get modelled nuns, concertinas, marimbas, accordions etc loaded onto your laptops, set your DAW to record your performance and use the mic’s to record audience reaction, then add a bit of modelled reverb in post production. Simples. :lol:
P.S. use the synth as one of your controller keyboards to trigger a virtual synth.
MOF
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:38 pm

MOF wrote:I think you need to get modelled nuns, concertinas, marimbas, accordions etc loaded onto your laptops, set your DAW to record your performance and use the mic’s to record audience reaction, then add a bit of modelled reverb in post production. Simples. :lol:
P.S. use the synth as one of your controller keyboards to trigger a virtual synth.

Joking aside, this recording lark is actually a bit of a pain all round. I just don't enjoy it anymore. I actually dread it, setting up, fiddling around with levels etc, it actually gives me diarrhoea.
If I could pay someone to do this I would, it's strange how as time has gone on, to quote a well known lyric "the thrill is gone"
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MOF » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:29 pm

"the thrill is gone"
I don’t do ‘live’ I’m into the songwriting/home studio setup.
Having said that, what do you do the live performances for and what are your, and your audience’s, expectations?
Maybe they would be just as happy seeing you play keyboards live to a sequenced backing, easier to mix and monitor and record their applause.
MOF
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:48 pm

MOF wrote:
"the thrill is gone"
I don’t do ‘live’ I’m into the songwriting/home studio setup.
Having said that, what do you do the live performances for and what are your, and your audience’s, expectations?
Maybe they would be just as happy seeing you play keyboards live to a sequenced backing, easier to mix and monitor and record their applause.

They're not live performances, they are recording sessions at home, live, to stereo, of free-improv.
I had a band, but that was some time ago, generally, I just don't enjoy this as much as I used to.
I do enjoy making my own solo CD's, a friend has some of them on his website, and getting feedback ftom others makes it worthwhile.
It's like a lot of things, it's difficult to get motivated if there isn't an end result or an appreciation of some kind, otherwise it's like, why bother? like writing a book no one is ever going to read.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Red Bladder » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:57 pm

Arpangel wrote: "the thrill is gone"

But the pain lingers on!

Arpangel wrote: it actually gives me diarrhoea.

That explains why our new Great Dane had diarrhoea in the hallway - and I thought he'd raided the larder and eaten two pounds of filter coffee, a pound-and-a-half of rice, a box of eggs, some cling-film and a roll of lavatory paper.

Now you tell me he's been moonlighting in the studio!

This throws a whole new light on mixing country-and-western music!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MOF » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:17 pm

They're not live performances, they are recording sessions at home, live, to stereo, of free-improv.
I had a band, but that was some time ago, generally, I just don't enjoy this as much as I used to.
I do enjoy making my own solo CD's, a friend has some of them on his website, and getting feedback ftom others makes it worthwhile.
It's like a lot of things, it's difficult to get motivated if there isn't an end result or an appreciation of some kind, otherwise it's like, why bother? like writing a book no one is ever going to read.
I’ve re read your original post, the mention of monitors elsewhere made me think it was a gig.
As has been said in one of the replies, using monitors won’t help with colouration in the mic’s, have you thought about working on headphones?
From the sound of it you would be better off doing just your solo work and/or getting a group together with more structured material and getting a better vibe and sense of what works and what doesn’t from audience reactions.
Free improv’ can work if you’re trying to distill the best bits and treat it as a composition session but (without hearing those sessions) I can imagine a lot of it will be just noodling.
MOF
Regular

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:06 pm

Bob Bickerton wrote:It was a joke........ but having said that, whilst the 57 is a competent microphone, I nearly always select an M201 in preference.

Bob

Knowing your knowledge and respect for things trad I had assumed that. Agreed about the m201 which will be my tool of choice on bodhran this weekend, clipped to the rim with a big plastic clamp.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Apple Watch - the slowest of all the nature programmes.

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:12 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:...two pounds of filter coffee, a pound-and-a-half of rice, a box of eggs, some cling-film and a roll of lavatory paper.

Sounds like the makings of some mid/high absorption panels.

Good boy!
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Apple Watch - the slowest of all the nature programmes.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:56 pm

MOF wrote:
I’ve re read your original post, the mention of monitors elsewhere made me think it was a gig.
As has been said in one of the replies, using monitors won’t help with colouration in the mic’s, have you thought about working on headphones?
From the sound of it you would be better off doing just your solo work and/or getting a group together with more structured material and getting a better vibe and sense of what works and what doesn’t from audience reactions.
Free improv’ can work if you’re trying to distill the best bits and treat it as a composition session but (without hearing those sessions) I can imagine a lot of it will be just noodling.

One of my all time heroes, Daniel Lanois, sort of got me interested in the one room studio, but TBQH, I f*****g hate it. Proves that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another, whoever you are.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous