You are here

BOSS RC 505~ Headphones are synced, but line out to speaker has delay...HELP!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

BOSS RC 505~ Headphones are synced, but line out to speaker has delay...HELP!

Postby Shoghi » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:18 pm

I can't figure out why the monitor headphones out the Boss are perfectly synced but the line out ( from the boss) is slightly off. I'm using ableton and the boss, but its still not synced when I'm only using the boss alone. Heeeellp!
Shoghi
New here

Re: BOSS RC 505~ Headphones are synced, but line out to speaker has delay...HELP!

Postby The Elf » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:37 pm

You need to tell us more. How do you have this all connected, and what part is Ableton Live playing in this?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: BOSS RC 505~ Headphones are synced, but line out to speaker has delay...HELP!

Postby Shoghi » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:34 pm

I have the BOss usb connected into my laptop, ableton is being used as the sound output ( thought the boss rc 505 in the ableton settings) Ableton has the drum kits and sounds for the alesis keyboard I have. Then the keyboard is plugged into ( midi) into the boss . I have a line out ( red/white) to headphone jack converter going to a speaker ( the one in question that has a delay). I can post a picture of the ableton settings and cords later 8) Thanks for the quick response!
Shoghi
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:53 am

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're doing, but it sounds like the delay you're complaining about is simply die to the fact that one signal (headphones) is direct from the Boss, and the other from the computer, which is after A-D conversion to feed the USB input as well as the inherent processing latency of the Ableton and the D-A conversion of its output back to the speaker.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:50 am

Hugh beat me to it.

Yep, sounds like you're suffering the latency of running your audio through Ableton Live. It would be a good idea to avoid monitoring through the computer - use a small mixer, maybe?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Shoghi » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:34 pm

Ah~! Thank you yes that is most likely it, I did the tweak settings in ableton to attempt to get the latency down to almost nothing, but my laptop is f*** OLD( I love you, dear lappy) But she's old. Thank you so much I'll pick one up. Is there a certain brand thats not SUPER pricey people recommend? I pretty much have Marc Rebillet's setup 8)
Shoghi
New here

Postby The Elf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:30 pm

It doesn't sound as if you need anything too fancy. Mackie, Yamaha and Alesis have small mixers that might appeal. I'm not much of a fan of the cheap Behringer mixers, but something of that kind might suffice in this instance. It's all down to what features you feel may be useful to you, whether you may want to consider room for future requirements and, of course, budget.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:33 pm

Berry's digital mixers are generally pretty good for the money, I have an XR12 which gets the job done rather well (and an X32 Rack and Compact which are excellent beyond their price).

Not much experience of there budget analogue desks, though, their older stuff was not well regarded but more recent offerings seem to get more love on here.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:26 am

Yeah, I'm not sure the XR range are ideal in these circumstances, but I share your enthusiasm for them. Their more 'conventional' mixers are of more questionable quality IME.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:53 pm

I can recommend the Soundcraft Notepad series in the small mixer series.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:02 am

I've had a few Behringer xenyx mixers and never had any issues with any of them. I wouldn't go for anything older than that though.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:14 am

blinddrew wrote:I've had a few Behringer xenyx mixers and never had any issues with any of them. I wouldn't go for anything older than that though.
As an aside, their very early ones are straight copies of Mackie mixers, so can be quite decent; if sometimes suffering from poorer quality components. I used an old first-edition Beri 1204 Mackie rip-off a week ago and it was very quiet and had a decent sound. But I have had a couple of pre-xenyx Beri mixers and they weren't good and were quickly returned.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:02 pm

Yeah, sound's ok, consistency of build quality... maybe not.
But anyway, anything modern from them I'd be comfortable giving a go.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Shoghi » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:48 am

https://youtu.be/CGpzp5nfCKw

Here is the seeming simplicity of whats going on. Headphones monitoring out and line out ( red white to headphone line ) also. The line out, no matter what, is always a bit off from the headphones. This happens even when I don't have any keyboard or midi anything/ableton plugged in.
Shoghi
New here

Postby The Elf » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:19 pm

I've just run a test with my own RC-505 and it works fine - no delay between headphones and line out. I wonder if you're hearing what you think you're hearing, or are you actually monitoring from something that's running through your laptop?

I would strip out all of those cables (especially USB and MIDI), connect only the audio in/out and record a few notes into the RC-505 and see what happens.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby uuhh » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:59 pm

that doesn't sound right at all, and i can confirm that headphone out and lineout should be in sync when working correctly.

however, if you have the most recent firmware, the monitor setting could set that off. note that this is a phrase memory setting, not a system-wide setting. press 'memory' then 'right arrow' 7 or 8 times and you should get something like "Master:PhonesOut". if it's set to 'Main' i believe headphone and lineout should be identical. if on the other hand it's set to 'Monitor' then i believe headphones get the plain signal with no effects applied. so if you have effects applied to your loops (e.g. a delay) then that might only effect the lineout, not headphone, causing sync issues.

if you could give specific repeatable steps you are taking to cause the error (i.e. how you are generating sounds (and are you recording them on the looper, or is just the live throughput?) and how you are then comparing heaphone and lineout, i.e. is it the live signal monitored directly by your speakers that's out of sync?) that would be helpful.
uuhh