You are here

Cheap harmonizer plugins

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Cheap harmonizer plugins

Postby garrettendi » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:20 pm

So in the next round of Black Friday deals I'm looking to snag a harmonizer for hopefully less than £50.

The two I have my eyes on are Melda's MHarmonizerMB and Eventide's Quadravox. I'll be downloading demos but I was wondering what you guys would recommend?

MHarmonizerMB has more features, and a lot more voices (I believe it's 140) but it isn't designed specifically with guitar in mind, and the pitches do not stay within a scale, so I believe an interval of a 5th would be on each note I play, meaning if I were to stay in C-Major eventually the plugin would introduce a note not in the key?

I can't find much info as to whether this same problem exists in Quadravox (I don't think it does), but it only has 4 voices, and is a lot less versatile. On the flip side, it probably doesn't have that issue with staying in key, and is designed a bit more with guitars in mind.

Another factor is I know and trust Melda, having used many of their products before so there is an element of "go with that you know", but on the other hand Eventide have been experts at this since the 80's, so it's certainly a brand I can trust to deliver the goods.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

EDIT: Update on this: I've confirmed Quadravox is diatonic, so it looks like this is a much better deal. Thoughts still requested kind fellows!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: Cheap harmonizer plugins

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:45 pm

Quadravox is free at the moment, so go snag it up...

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 17&t=68549
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby garrettendi » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:50 pm

Is that shop actually ok? I have reservations giving my name and details to it
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby garrettendi » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:54 pm

I see other forumites have done it so I guess it's fine!

Hopefully will still be free when I get home.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:05 pm

garrettendi wrote:So in the next round of Black Friday deals I'm looking to snag a harmonizer for hopefully less than £50.

The two I have my eyes on are Melda's MHarmonizerMB and Eventide's Quadravox. I'll be downloading demos but I was wondering what you guys would recommend?

I have both, and have been pleased with my results using Melda's MHarmonizerMB, although I haven't ended up using it a lot as yet.

I only downloaded Quadravox a few days ago (yes, from that site mentioned in the other thread, and it's fine, although some people don't like the fact that Eventide use iLok for software protection - I used my hardware iLok dongle, but you can tie the protection to your computer instead if you don't want to use a dongle).

I'm already finding Quadravox more immediate to use (as you'd expect, as its options are significantly more limited), but I'm particularly taken by its option to delay each of the four 'voices', so you can stagger them like arpeggios or tuned delays - I'm loving this on synth drums for instance!

Since Quadravox can be obtained free at the moment, I'd go for that, but having just fired both up and compared them I still wouldn't personally be without MHarmonizerMB for its more musical scale-like offerings.

As always, your mileage may vary ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby garrettendi » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:35 pm

Unfortunately I didn't catch Quadravox on the site in time :(

But it looks like all signs point to using that... Roll on Black Friday sales!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:38 pm

garrettendi wrote:Unfortunately I didn't catch Quadravox on the site in time :(

But it looks like all signs point to using that... Roll on Black Friday sales!

I'd have a look at some demos on YouTube. Maybe I expected too much from harmonizers but they have to be considered more as effect than a substitute for the voice. That being said used sparingly and experimenting with settings can produce convincing results.

Yes the Quadravox is free at the moment but you have to set up an account and as it seems have an iLok account.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)