You are here

Beyer M833

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Beyer M833

Postby nwtlnts » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:23 pm

I just picked up a Beyerdynamic MC 833 online. Waiting for it to arrive.

Has anyone used one of these before? Was this mic intended for broadcast or studio use?

I had originally been looking at the Neumann SM69, but couldn't resist grabbing the Beyer, though I don't have much experience with Beyer condensers. My primary application would be tracking drums- likely setting it up either overhead, in front of the kit, or for ambience.

Would love to know more about this mic- the stereo options with this one seem unique, but there's just not much online about them for some reason. Any idea if this could be what I'm looking for?
nwtlnts

Re: Beyer M833

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:45 pm

I've seen and heard one in use once, on a radio drama production. It's a nice mic, and a relatively rare find.

It's basically an MS mic using three identical cardioid capsules. The two side capsules are combined in opposite polarities to create a pseudo fig-8 Side mic, which is then made available with the forward-facing cardioid Mid mic to provide a stereo MS output. There is no internal matrix, so you'll need to decode to left-right stereo externally.

Alternatively, the Mid capsule can be switched off, and the two side capsules used as an XY stereo pair with a knob to adjust their mutual angle (and thus stereo recording angle).

There's a small trap for the unwary in the output splitter cable. In XY mode, the left channel is from pins 2/3 and the right from 4/5 which is sensible... But in MS mode the left output channel becomes the Sides mic, and right becomes Mid, which is the opposite way around to most expectations!

It should serve well as a stereo room mic or drum overhead, although it doesn't have massive headroom, so it would be best if not used too close... which implies working in a nice sounding room.

I have an SM69FET which is a lovely stereo mic, but just as rare these days...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby nwtlnts » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:47 am

Hugh, thanks for this! I appreciate the tips on the splitter cable!

I would really love to grab an SM69 FET- I think that's the dream mic for how I'd be using it. That said, prices seem high right now, whereas this Beyer seems to have been a pretty good deal.

I've been using two 414s overhead, with an AEA R88 in front of the kit... I recorded a band a last month, and one of my 414s had died... I put the R88 overhead, and set up Beyer M130 + M160 in front (mid-side) and it was pretty fantastic. It took a minute to get everything centered, but what an awesome sound.

I'm going to guess this Beyer MC 833 is going to be quite a bit brighter than those mics- would you guess it'll be much brighter than my 414 B-ULS?

Finally, I've loved this site for years now, and I really appreciate all the work you continue to put into it. I can't tell you how much easier you made it to get started recording with useful information, plus all the great, thoughtful gear reviews. Cheers and thank you so much.
nwtlnts

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:57 am

Long time since I've heard one, but I don't recall thinking it was a particular bright mic. I'd say it's better described as slightly lean-sounding if anything -- the low end is detailed rather than weighty.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby nwtlnts » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:27 pm

Hugh, would you say the SM69 is fairly weighty sounding?
nwtlnts