You are here

Cubase Recording

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Cubase Recording

Postby twotoedsloth » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:48 pm

Hello,

Is there a way to record the master bus output of Cubase while recording? I would like to give performers a rough mix right after their recording sessions. This was trivial in Vegas, but since we moved to the Mac platform, Cubase is DAW we are using.

Our hardware setup is a Focusrite Clarett 8pre and a Focusrite ISA 828 recording to an Imac Pro running Cubase.

Many thanks,

Peter
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Re: Cubase Recording

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:14 pm

Quick and dirty would be a loopback within your AI's mixer app?

Or just record the incoming audio so it's available to export? That way if you capture a moment of magic it's a double-win.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Kwackman » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:23 pm

What sort of file are you hoping to give them? MP3, Wav?
The Cubase export (turning real time option off) can create a file (of most types) pretty quickly after you have recorded the artists.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby ore_terra » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:42 am

You can always route everything to another bus rather than the Master. That way you could print it in the mix if you want so.

Anyway, I agree with the latest above: exporting does not take that much time in cubase.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:58 am

Export audio will work fine unless you have hardware midi instrument output in the mix, if that's the case I've had to set up an audio channel to capture the output as an audio file. I have tried various loopback/record the mater bus options but never got them to work
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Mixedup » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:04 am

You could insert a virtual tape recorder plugin on the master bus. That would write direct to a WAV on the hard drive. You should even be able to write direct to a USB pen drive in theory, though I've not tried it. There have been a few such plugins over the years (I used to use them for multitrack exports in the days before Cubase had a batch export facility!), but I think you'll find one in Melda's free bundle...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:42 am

Mixedup wrote:You could insert a virtual tape recorder plugin on the master bus. That would write direct to a WAV on the hard drive. You should even be able to write direct to a USB pen drive in theory, though I've not tried it. There have been a few such plugins over the years (I used to use them for multitrack exports in the days before Cubase had a batch export facility!), but I think you'll find one in Melda's free bundle...

Melda has the mrecorder which looks really useful.....but, you have to download a whole krock of gubbins, as is per usual these days :-( Back in the day you'd download the VST, drop the .dll into the VST folder and that was that
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Fishnish » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:08 pm

I agree, Export Mixdown is really quick, unless you're doing huge projects.
Fishnish
Regular

Postby Mixedup » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:35 pm

OneWorld wrote:
Mixedup wrote:You could insert a virtual tape recorder plugin on the master bus. That would write direct to a WAV on the hard drive. You should even be able to write direct to a USB pen drive in theory, though I've not tried it. There have been a few such plugins over the years (I used to use them for multitrack exports in the days before Cubase had a batch export facility!), but I think you'll find one in Melda's free bundle...

Melda has the mrecorder which looks really useful.....but, you have to download a whole krock of gubbins, as is per usual these days :-( Back in the day you'd download the VST, drop the .dll into the VST folder and that was that

Yeah. OTOH there's some useful other stuff amongst this particular set of gubbins, including stuff that isn't bundled in Cubase. And it's pretty unobtrusive... You could try hunting i the KVR database for a similar thing I suppose.

Or maybe look at Voicemeeter Banana... I think you csn route Cubase to that and record the result.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:32 pm

I am not sure you can, as Cubase subsumes all other devices unless you choose "Release in backgound" which then hands audio dutiers over to another audio software that works in isolation of Cubase. If it were a VST then yes it would capture a recording from Cubase playback, but thanks anyway and I'll checkl it out.

I have managed to do it with other setups but they don't capture the output from a hardware synth even though that output is shown in the stereo/master output of the Cubase Mixer.

I used to use an RME Fireface 800 and that did allow me to make a stereo file by simply patching the outs and ins, in the Total Control software. I now use a Focusrite Liquid 56 and thought I could do the same, but can't, again the issue is the outputs from hardware synths not being captured
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby twotoedsloth » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:04 am

Hello,

Thanks all of your for your responses and suggestions.

I was able to resolve this by using the loopback feature in the Focusrite application.

Sincerely sorry that I was away for a few days.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Peter
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:35 pm

twotoedsloth wrote:Hello,

Thanks all of your for your responses and suggestions.

I was able to resolve this by using the loopback feature in the Focusrite application.

Sincerely sorry that I was away for a few days.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Peter

Any chance of giving a step by step instruction on how to do it? There are a few tutorials on YouTube but they all deal recording the output of for example Windows Media Player into Cubase, whereas I want to record Cubase into Cubase
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Mixedup » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:25 am

There are various ways to record Cubase into Cubase. Eg, you can route everything to a Group bus before the master stereo bus, and use that Group as the input source to an audio track. As long as that audio track isn't routed to that Group (set it to no output) you can record the result.

The loopback method depends on having an interface that supports digital loopback, or on having spare I/O (digital or analogue) to create a physical loopback and routing software with your interface that allows you to create multiple mixes.

Eg. on my RME interface, I can have Cubase send its output to the interface's channels 1+2. Engage loopback on outputs 1+2 and the signal will also appear at inputs 1+2. Then in Cubase or whatever software, you select inputs 1+2 as the input source and record in the usual way. Again, you just have to be careful not to monitor/route this recording channel to the same outputs or you'll create a feedback loop.

The only problem with this way of working is if you want to be stop/starting Cubase while recording the result — you'll stop recording too. That's where you'd want to record the result into a separate application.

( used to use this method to record separate Cubase sound and narration mic onto different tracks in Camtasia, as detailed here... )

Voicemeeter Banana is also worth checking out...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:22 am

Mixedup wrote:There are various ways to record Cubase into Cubase. Eg, you can route everything to a Group bus before the master stereo bus, and use that Group as the input source to an audio track. As long as that audio track isn't routed to that Group (set it to no output) you can record the result.

The loopback method depends on having an interface that supports digital loopback, or on having spare I/O (digital or analogue) to create a physical loopback and routing software with your interface that allows you to create multiple mixes.

Eg. on my RME interface, I can have Cubase send its output to the interface's channels 1+2. Engage loopback on outputs 1+2 and the signal will also appear at inputs 1+2. Then in Cubase or whatever software, you select inputs 1+2 as the input source and record in the usual way. Again, you just have to be careful not to monitor/route this recording channel to the same outputs or you'll create a feedback loop.

The only problem with this way of working is if you want to be stop/starting Cubase while recording the result — you'll stop recording too. That's where you'd want to record the result into a separate application.

( used to use this method to record separate Cubase sound and narration mic onto different tracks in Camtasia, as detailed here... )

Voicemeeter Banana is also worth checking out...

I'll try that method.

Yes when I used an RME interrface it was easy. I now use Focusrite and their software has a loopback feature but the examples they give are for recording the output from one device (weg Windows Media Player) into the DAW

The Banana thingy is overkill for my needs.

If all else fails I'll get the RME froim under the bench, their Totalmix software is brill. In fact I am considering selling my FF800 and purchasing the UFX

If all else fails
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby twotoedsloth » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:52 pm

Hello,

Do you still need me to write up a short tutorial on using the loopback on a Focusrite Clarett? Or do you have it figured out now?

It really was quite simple, it was a week ago, and I don't have access to that computer right now, but I think I just used the Focusrite application, set the loopback to 17 and 18, and recorded those channels in Cubase. Important note: Do *NOT* monitor the 17 and 18 inputs, as you get really nasty feedback.

I can get to that room later this week or weekend if you need me to,

Best regards!
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:42 pm

Do you still need me to write up a short tutorial on using the loopback on a Focusrite Clarett? Or do you have it figured out now?

It really was quite simple, it was a week ago, and I don't have access to that computer right now, but I think I just used the Focusrite application, set the loopback to 17 and 18, and recorded those channels in Cubase. Important note: Do *NOT* monitor the 17 and 18 inputs, as you get really nasty feedback.

Best regards!

Thanks, it's ok, from that description you have written I sort of get the idea. I guess you are feeding the stereo/master out of Cubase to the loopback and then loopback(out) ===>inputs(ch17 + ch18)
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:51 pm

OneWorld wrote:

Best regards!

Thanks, it's ok, from that description you have written I sort of get the idea. I guess you are feeding the stereo/master out of Cubase to the loopback and then loopback(out) ===>inputs(ch17 + ch18)

It worked :-)

Don't know what I have done exactly, what I expected to work didn't, then I pressed another button and it's working. Need to take some screenshots!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)