You are here

I ask your advice

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: I ask your advice

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Been using the Verona 480 mixing desk this week. All good news. I took the panels off, cleaned them, and hoovered out what little dust etc was in there, and it all functions as it's supposed to. I got confused with the stereo section I confess, mainly because I didn't realise it was a stereo section. Confusing description on the back input ports etc. Getting used to mutes and solos not affecting the master speakers - just the headphones. Something to do with it being a front of house console where you wouldn't want the audience to suddenly hear nothing except what you just solo'd. Great learning experience for me using (for me anyway) a large format console. If I'm really honest, the sound is very good, but not better than my 01V96 - but that may be due to a variety of reasons such as the room, the monitor speakers, the source of the audio (adat from computer to RADAR then audio to desk) I will soon make a series of recordings direct to RADAR from decent microphones, spoken word, acoustic guitar, the I'll be able to compare the two desks more accurately. The Verona is one button per job, and huge compared with the 01V96, which makes me feel good, and that's just as important to me as the sound :) I feel like a real recordist :)
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:08 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:I feel like a real recordist :)

That's good - real recordists never die, they just fade away.

I think my coat is on that hook in the corner :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:17 am

Marvelous! I just discovered a recessed button called "Solo in Place" which when pressed using a toothpick or pen means all the solo buttons work on the main speakers, not just in the headphones. Means you can mix unfettered using the monitors rather than the phones. I'm loving this! :D
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Previous