You are here

I ask your advice

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

I ask your advice

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:22 am

I am looking at buying (second hand) an analogue mixing desk, to take the outputs from my iZ RADAR studio, and mix and sum them to my SSL Six for the compressor.

I see a Midas Venice F32 which I like, but since that model is getting a bit long in the tooth, I wondered if it remains pertinent today. The Firewire for example is getting toward obsolete but then I wouldn't plan to use it anyway.

Any thoughts would be gobbled up like Irish butter and marmalade on a Jacobs cream cracker.

:thumbup:
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: I ask your advice

Postby resistorman » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:00 am

The FireWire interface may bring a nice cost advantage to you since it’s considered obsolete and you don’t need it. Looks like a sweet console if you have the room...
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:29 am

There's a Verona 480 here too for the same price, but the flight case looks well battered, and the side panels have been royally scratched which doesn't say much for how well it was cared for. Might be in good working order though.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:12 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:I am looking at buying (second hand) an analogue mixing desk, to take the outputs from my iZ RADAR studio, and mix and sum them to my SSL Six for the compressor.

I see a Midas Venice F32 which I like, but since that model is getting a bit long in the tooth, I wondered if it remains pertinent today. The Firewire for example is getting toward obsolete but then I wouldn't plan to use it anyway.

Any thoughts would be gobbled up like Irish butter and marmalade on a Jacobs cream cracker.

:thumbup:

In my little experience - a few friends who got excitedly into analogue desks some time ago - the main challenge with desks is when they go wrong :)

Before buying a particular used make and model, I would make sure you know a technician or a shop nearby who can help fixing stuff and that the model is still supported (and for how long) by the manufacturer. Otherwise when something goes wrong, it's soon a large brick.

Coming to the Midas, I've seen them around as live consoles - for studio I'd love to have a meter bar. It's a lovely piece of kit, the only challenge I see is that - as above - if a strip goes you have to change eight.

As for firewire, you have a desktop PC it's still perfectly possible to find Firewire cards (and cheap!) and they do just a fine job today as they used to do before, so if anything's a plus.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby James Perrett » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:24 pm

In my experience the most important thing to check on a used analogue console is the state of the switches and pots. Are they crackly? If they are then it is going to be quite a big job to clean (or possibly replace) them all - and it will be even worse in a modern console where multiple channels share a single circuit board.

I know that some of the cheaper Midas consoles were built down to a price so it would be worth doing some research on them. Personally I would prefer something that is fully modular for ease of servicing although I understand that many of Allen and Heath's consoles are modular under the covers so might be worth looking at.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:06 pm

Thank you.

I'm going to see the Verona tomorrow, it's in central Bangkok which is two hours drive. It's a lot bigger than the Venice, but it will fit. I already have the X32 for any digital transfers which is why I'm not convinced about the Venice. So I'll check it over as best I can for noisy pots and faders, but I'll have to take things like auxiliary sends and returns on trust I suppose. I only want the thing as a summing mixer to finally get as analogue as I can with channel strips rather than plugins. I'm the only person I ever record, so it's not at all important, just fun really. Since I got the X32 I realise how out of date my digital mixers are :)
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:50 pm

I bought the Verona, but left the flight case behind - too heavy.

One scratchy pot detected, otherwise seems OK, there will doubtless be more, but I will give it a good clean. Condition was better than expected.

Thanks for the advice on checking switches pots and faders - I'd have left it if I'd found more.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:06 pm

Hi Howdy Doody Time!

Well that sounds like very encouraging news on your purchase - fingers crossed that you don't find anything else serious en route.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:48 am

This is it Martin! I'm delighted with it.

https://imgur.com/a/PloRgfd
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:04 am

Congrats on your purchase, this thread is a fine example, member requests help, gets it, and actually takes the advice, he then goes out to buy the gear and and is happy with it!
SOS at it's very best...

:D :thumbup:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:10 pm

That's looking good.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:28 pm

I would love the space for a desk like that, and would definitely go there if I did, especially as the price of decent high-channel interfaces/converters is realistic for the enthusiast these days!

Congratulations Howdy Doody Time :-)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:53 pm

Its a bit cramped in my room Eddy, but cosy. This is the other side of the same room

https://imgur.com/ej69yhe
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:55 pm

Is that an HPD15 I see in the background there? Fun, aren't they?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Zukan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:09 pm

Congrats!! Looks wonderful. Hobnobs missing off the shelf but it's ok we still love you.
Zukan

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:01 pm

Hobnobs are in the fridge. Ants love them too, but they cant get into the fridge, I think we have fourteen million different sorts of ants here, one exposed hobnob will bring them all in. :D The Handsonic? It is great fun. I beat the wossnames out of it regularly with drumsticks.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:52 am

Howdy Doody Time wrote:Hobnobs are in the fridge. Ants love them too, but they cant get into the fridge, I think we have fourteen million different sorts of ants here, one exposed hobnob will bring them all in. :D The Handsonic? It is great fun. I beat the wossnames out of it regularly with drumsticks.

Heh, it was funny to see that. Zukan and I were talking about the Handsonic at the weekend. I'd never heard of one, then he mentions it, then you post a picture that happens to have one in. Good luck with the ants, and may your Hob-Nobs remain unblemished, at least until you decide to blemish them yourself!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:48 am

Man needs to invest in some Tupperware!

A fridge is a sub-optimal Hobnob storage environment IME. Besides, Tupperware has ergonomic qualities well suited to the creative environment.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:15 am

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Man needs to invest in some Tupperware!

A fridge is a sub-optimal Hobnob storage environment IME. Besides, Tupperware has ergonomic qualities well suited to the creative environment.

Tupperware Pah! Asian ants have been documented engineering solutions to entry into tupperware vessels, They would get into the fridge too only they hate the cold.

:roll:
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:08 pm

I bow to your local knowledge sir!
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Next