You are here

Using external phantom power supply with Zoom EXH-6

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Using external phantom power supply with Zoom EXH-6

Postby paulfromcamden » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:52 pm

I have a Zoom H6 with the EXH-6 module that provides two additional XLR mic inputs. I'd like to be able to use condenser mics with these inputs but they don't provide phantom power.

Is there any reason why a pair of external phantom power units wouldn't work? And are there any drawbacks to the cheapo Chinese £10 phantom units sometimes branded as Neewer?

Thanks
paulfromcamden
New here

Re: Using external phantom power supply with Zoom EXH-6

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:13 pm

There's no problem, in principle, in using external phantom power units with the Zoom. And there are dual channel models in additional to single channel ones, which might be more convenient in your application. There are also both battery and mains-powered versions... (and some will do both).

I'm afraid I have no experience of the Neewer models. Phantom power isn't exactly difficult to do, and it is a common-mode design which means that even if the power supply is noisy, the noise shouldn't get into the mic signal... but that's reliant on having very closely matched feed resistors. If the source resistors aren't accurately matched (and we're talking 0.5% or better, here) then the power supply noise wont appears as a common-mode signal, and some hum or buzz will be added to the mic signals. The cheaper the unit, the less likely that the manufacturer will have bothered to check the resistor matching.

So, there's cheap and there's cheap... The least-costly model I've tried and would recommend is the ART Phantom II Pro (about £60 if you shop around) which can be battery or mains powered, and has two channels in the one box... which would seem more appropriate for your application.

https://artproaudio.com/product/phantom-ii-pro-dual-ch-phantom-power-supply/

Personally, I use a very high quality Canford Audio phantom power unit when I need to (mostly for testing review gear), but that's around £200...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Kwackman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:36 pm

I bought a cheap one, can't remember the name, and was disappointed with a low level hum on it's audio output.
I then spent a bit more and got an Art one, I only needed a single channel so not the same as the one Hugh has shown, but it was hum free.
For me it was another "buy cheap, buy twice" lesson learnt!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby paulfromcamden » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:45 pm

Thank! Sounds like a go-er then but may need to invest more than a tenner :thumbup:
paulfromcamden
New here

Postby mrpiano83 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:04 am

I've used my Art this and haven't had a problem. It should work for your setup.
mrpiano83
New here

Postby ef37a » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:06 am

I bought a dual output, dual voltage supply a couple of years ago and it had very poor current delivery, couple of mA per XLR at best. Cost about £20 iirc.
Then replaced it with a single output, supply, just 48V and that was fine.

I would therefore strongly suggest that whatever you get you check it on load immediately and if it does not come up to standard, get a refund.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster