You are here

How can I train my ears to detect analogue warmth?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: How can I train my ears to detect analogue warmth?

Postby CS70 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:27 pm

Indeed, pretty impressive that you are going at it! Keep on keepin' on!

Btw, I just A/B-d Console5 (which is quite the mouse clicking with 30+ channel/buses) and I still have absolutely no idea what it does, but without it the mix sounds much less organic.

I would not be able to describe how, but Hugh's "3D" suggestion is good - indeed without it things feel "flatter" or more "digital" (in the sense of less natural). I think I could remix without and get to something just as organic, but time's up and I think I'll leave it in. :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:13 pm

CS70 wrote:Btw, I just A/B-d Console5 (which is quite the mouse clicking with 30+ channel/buses) and I still have absolutely no idea what it does, but without it the mix sounds much less organic.

Glad you can hear the improvements CS70!

The official Airwindows explanation is that each channel gets a small amount of distortion added via the Console5Channel plug-ins, and then when they all get mixed together the single Console5Buss plug-in 'subtracts' the same amount of distortion from the combined mix.

The result is that the stronger channel signals get returned almost perfectly to how they sounded previously, while lower level signals end up with a little more distortion remaining than they started with, effectively adding some extra detail - the 3D element and added 'space' around each sound that's so often talked about.

That's certainly what it sounds like to me!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:04 pm

I can get exactly the same effect from Waves Kramer Tape. Everything suddenly seems to have a little bit more space around it. Very hard to describe but once you've heard it it's very addictive. The demo on the AIrwindows site shows this effect very clearly.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Previous