You are here

Reaper meters

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Reaper meters

Postby garrettendi » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:30 pm

Hi guys! I’ve tried the Reaper manual and I’m not finding anything!

I have the Solaris_LCS theme and for each track there are two moving bar graph thingies which I believe are the meters? I though they are left and right but they are each showing different levels even with the pan on centre. Are they input and output levels for each track?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: Reaper meters

Postby blinddrew » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:41 pm

Couple of screenshots might help here! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby garrettendi » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:45 pm

Sorry I’m not on a PC so wasn’t sure I could do it!

Can you see this?

garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Ramirez » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:33 pm

Reaper’s tracks can have multiple channels - I gather that’s what you’re seeing. I.e. if you set a track to receive a sidechain input on channel 3/4, the meters can be set up (perhaps defaults) to show this signal alongside the ‘main’ channel 1/2 audio that the track carries.

The master meter is showing peak and RMS - you can adjust this by right clicking on the meter.

I’m assuming here that the left side of your second track is showing the levels of the
tracks routed, and the right side showing the summed output of the track.

EDIT just realised you mentioned ‘all track’. They should be left and right as you suggest. Have tou perhaps got a stereo source on the tracks? The hats track, for example, could have a stereo track with the hi-hats on the left?
Panning this track centrally would keep the stereo information in the source, so the hats would still appear left and the meters would follow this.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby garrettendi » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:35 pm

That makes sense. What about the high hat?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Ramirez » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:43 pm

garrettendi wrote:That makes sense. What about the high hat?

I've just edited my post to include a suggestion on that.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster

Postby garrettendi » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:51 pm

Aha well I have to listen in mono so I wasn’t sure but thought it was a mono source in MDrummer.

So my l+r guess first was right!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Ramirez » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:23 pm

garrettendi wrote:Aha well I have to listen in mono so I wasn’t sure but thought it was a mono source in MDrummer.

So my l+r guess first was right!

Are the hats already panned in MDrummer? If so, and the send to your hi-hat track is post fader/post send, then it will appear off-centre on that channel's meter.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster