You are here

Tracking Room - Carpet or Wood?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Tracking Room - Carpet or Wood?

Postby JRocker » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:17 pm

Hi,

I am setting up a proper tracking studio in my home, (including a makeshift vocal booth ie: a corner of the room dedicated to recording vocals only) where I will record only acoustic and electric guitars and vocals. I have all the acoustic foam and reflection filters sorted, but the floor is carpeted and there's a window (looking outside) as well (when i record I usually pop up a acoustic foam to cover the window to prevent any reflection spill). I've heard people say that floors should always be wooden for recording, yet I've recorded with carpet rooms before and achieved great tones, due to the fact I do take care with mic positioning etc. Whats the view on carpet versus wooden floors? I know for mixing, it would be different as it would not give much of an accurate representation of a mix, but for tracking I find it is a different matter.
JRocker
Poster

Re: Tracking Room - Carpet or Wood?

Postby Wonks » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:17 pm

Some instruments, like acoustic guitars, benefit from a reflective floor. The easiest way to do it is to have a fairly large sheet of hardboard or MDF that you can lay down when you need it. Then you can have the benefits of both worlds.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Mixedup » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:00 pm

Depends on the room... including how high and how reflective the ceiling. I tend to prefer a more reflective floor and absorbent ceiling... but as has been said, you can put board down when required... Another good option is a rug instead of a carpet -- that way you can roll it back!
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:15 pm

I would go for a nice wooden floor and add a nice rug when needed. It will be much nicer from a hygienic point of view.
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby JRocker » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:50 pm

Would adding the rug on top of the carpet do the job?
JRocker
Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:37 pm

A sickle leaf, vine scroll Kerman would be ideal... :thumbup:
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:41 am

My preference is for a wooden floor and if you have a large, heavy, removable rug you can have the best of both worlds...

But equally, you can use a sheet of MDF on a carpeted floor to provide a similar level of versatility.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:55 am

Until you try and roll up the sheet of MDF that is! :D
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby JRocker » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:43 am

I have usually gone for a dry carpeted room for vocals and a more live, wet room with space for guitars in my approach to recording.
JRocker
Poster