You are here

Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby Arpangel » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:11 am

I was going to order one yesterday, but thought I'd better run it by the good folks at SOS first. I've set-up a little studio in another part of our house, and it's all there, I just need a cheap-ish two channel audio/midi interface to get stuff in and out of my PC, but I'm reading a lot about incompatibility issues with Windows 10.
I'm looking at the the Presonus Audio Box 96, and the Behringer Euphoria series.
Price wise, and facilities they look OK, has anyone had any issues regarding these and Win 10, or could you recommend anything else that seems to work with this OS?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby DGL. » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:13 am

My UMC204HD seems to work with win 10 just fine, main out's could be a little hotter though.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:40 am

My 'buy once use forever' is an NI Komplete Audio 6 (Mk1). secondhand they can be had for 100 quid or so - can't go wrong for that money.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:38 pm

The Elf wrote:My 'buy once use forever' is an NI Komplete Audio 6 (Mk1). secondhand they can be had for 100 quid or so - can't go wrong for that money.

Thanks Folks, I think I'm going for the Audio 6 on Elf's recommendation.
I have NI Komplete, is there anything about the Audio 6 that's relevant to that?
I'll check it out on the site.....

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:49 pm

Tone, have a look at the Foxusrite Scarletts.
Zukan

Postby Arpangel » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:29 pm

Zukan wrote:Tone, have a look at the Foxusrite Scarletts.

Thanks, yes, this isn't as easy as it seems, the NI 6 has got all I need, but the older ones are difficult to get now, and Win 10 support is unclear.
If this was my main computer I'd push the boat out, but I really don't want to spend a lot on this.
The Motu M4 looks good, but isn't available yet, the Focusrite Scarlett 188i looks OK, if I can stretch to £300, which is a bit more than I'd like to pay. It's tempting to push the budget as we all know, but all Inreally need is two audio I/O and Midi.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:35 pm

The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 has those for £140. It should be easy enough to pick up a used example for under £100.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Stratman57 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:29 pm

I can recommend the Zoom U44, does what you require plus can accept the H6 system mics and act as a standalone A/D converter.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:28 pm

Another happy Zoom U44 user here too but unfortunately it looks like they've just discontinued the U44 so you'll have to be quick as not many places seem to have stock at the moment. There is also the U24 which doesn't have the digital i/o but would be slightly cheaper if you can find it.

If you didn't need MIDI (or could live with a separate MIDI interface) an alternative approach might be to buy a portable recorder that can also work as an audio interface. That way you can just take the recorder out to record on location and then hook it up to the computer when you get back to base.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:31 am

Thanks, I've already got my Tascam DR100 so I don't need another handy recorder.
There are a couple of candidates, or more, that fit the bill, but I'm unsure if they'll work with W10. The Behringer Euphoria range at the bottom, but Win support could be dodgy, or the Presonus Audio Box 96.
I think I'll order one of these on sale or return, and see how it goes.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby garrettendi » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:45 am

My Behringer UMC204HD works fine with both Windows 7 and 10, no issues.

It is scraping the bottom of the barrel I suppose, but I am very happy with it.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:56 am

garrettendi wrote:My Behringer UMC204HD works fine with both Windows 7 and 10, no issues.

It is scraping the bottom of the barrel I suppose, but I am very happy with it.

The bottom of the barrel is perfectly adequate in these circumstances!
I'll investigate!
Is it 16 bit only though?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby garrettendi » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:01 am

I'm not at my studio right now so can't double check but Thomann says the max resolution is 24 bits if that's what you're asking. It also goes up to a sample rate of 192 kHz.

I can't remember off hand whether I usually record in 16 or 24 bits, but it sounds pretty tasty.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:07 am

They've done some solid work improving the Scarlett's over the generations, at the respective price points the gen 3's offer decent value.

The MOTU's are due next week I believe and the M4's are already sold out for us, they are going to be popular.

Lastly, to note, the gen 1 KA6's work fine on W10, although yes, they are getting hard to track down but built like tanks so Ebay might not be a bad idea.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Folderol » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:Lastly, to note, the gen 1 KA6's work fine on W10, although yes, they are getting hard to track down but built like tanks so Ebay might not be a bad idea.

{glances across at KA6 showing just a few scuff marks}
Yep. Still going strong here after having traveled half way round Europe over the last 5 years :bouncy:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby garrettendi » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:13 pm

Additionally I'd say one of the benefits the UMC204HD has over "better" brands for the same price second hand is the UMC has a pad button.

That pad button has saved my bacon so often to the point I leave it on as the default for channel 2.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:20 pm

garrettendi wrote:Additionally I'd say one of the benefits the UMC204HD has over "better" brands for the same price second hand is the UMC has a pad button.

That pad button has saved my bacon so often to the point I leave it on as the default for channel 2.

I notice the UMC204 has buttons for line, instrument and guitar, I get the impression that the mic amps are just padded down line inputs?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby garrettendi » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:24 pm

Arpangel wrote:I notice the UMC204 has buttons for line, instrument and guitar, I get the impression that the mic amps are just padded down line inputs?

I don't know the technical details but there is a button for Line/Instrument and a button for Pad... I find when recording guitar I switch it to Instrument and engage the Pad!

Without the pad it clips around about 9 o'clock on the gain/trim knob. With pad it clips around 11 or 12 o'clock. This is both for my Squier Classic Vibe 50s tele and my Harley Benton Fusion II guitars!

EDIT: It's been a while since I used a mic with the UMC204HD but I don't recall needing the Pad engaged with either my wife's spoken video streaming or my poor attempts at singing.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:36 pm

Arpangel wrote:I notice the UMC204 has buttons for line, instrument and guitar, I get the impression that the mic amps are just padded down line inputs?

It will be the other way round, the line inputs are padded down and fed into the mic preamp. There are almost no very low-cost AIs (<£130 region) where the line input has separate circuitry from the mic pre. You need to spend a fair bit more for that.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:28 am

I'm wondering about doing away with Midi, that opens up a few more choices, this is really bad, I'm becoming such a penny pincher, my partner said I'm "stoooopid" we could both be dead soon, just get the best one there is....

:(
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Next