You are here

Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby garrettendi » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:34 am

That's not stupid at all! The money you save could be invested elsewhere, like a new synth or guitar! :thumbup:
User avatar
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:00 am
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:41 am

garrettendi wrote:That's not stupid at all! The money you save could be invested elsewhere, like a new synth or guitar! :thumbup:

Yes, something that actually makes noise!
If I got a UAD or an RME or whatever, I'd be sitting there thinking "hmm? It's got two inputs like the Behringer, and it's got two outputs like the Behringer, and like the Behringer you can monitor your sound and adjust levels etc, and, unlike the Berlinger, I haven't got Midi, what a swizz, and I paid fifteen times more for it.

:D
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2062
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby The Elf » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:49 am

A penny too far, I'd say. Those MIDI ports will be there when you need 'em. If you *do* need them and they're not there...
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13062
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:07 am

The Elf wrote:A penny too far, I'd say. Those MIDI ports will be there when you need 'em. If you *do* need them and they're not there...

You're right Elf, the trouble with USB controller keyboards without Midi sockets is that if you've got external sound modules you have to go through your DAW if you want to play them, that's always a pain.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2062
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:23 pm

I bought a Behringer UC204, so job done.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2062
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby garrettendi » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:41 am

The 204 or the 204HD? Hope you enjoy!
User avatar
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:00 am
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby ef37a » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:23 am

Arpangel wrote:I bought a Behringer UC204, so job done.

Shame but then I hope it works well for you.
BTW, since SOS have never reviewed the whale **** Behrry boxes I would really like to know how they fair regarding latency with software sounds? AFAIK they don't have their own ASIO drivers.

Regarding padded down mic amps as line input? This excercises many people on forums. Their concerns tend to be...

1) The mic pre will add its own 'colour' to the sound. BS IMHO. Most mic amps are just a couple of discrete transistors and one or two OP amp sections, nothing there to modify the sound (and the Great SOS Mic Amp Shoot Out largely confirms that most mic pres do NOT have 'a sound')

2) The line input so derived will be noisier than a dedicated stage. No reason why this should be so if the job is done right and in anycase, the standard balanced line ins on the vast majority of AI and mixers are not THAT low noise anyway.

Enjoy.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10878
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:30 am

ef37a wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I bought a Behringer UC204, so job done.

Shame but then I hope it works well for you.
BTW, since SOS have never reviewed the whale **** Behrry boxes I would really like to know how they fair regarding latency with software sounds? AFAIK they don't have their own ASIO drivers.

Regarding padded down mic amps as line input? This excercises many people on forums. Their concerns tend to be...

1) The mic pre will add its own 'colour' to the sound. BS IMHO. Most mic amps are just a couple of discrete transistors and one or two OP amp sections, nothing there to modify the sound (and the Great SOS Mic Amp Shoot Out largely confirms that most mic pres do NOT have 'a sound')

2) The line input so derived will be noisier than a dedicated stage. No reason why this should be so if the job is done right and in anycase, the standard balanced line ins on the vast majority of AI and mixers are not THAT low noise anyway.

Enjoy.

Dave.

It should be fine, it's a UC204HD.
I'm never going to use the mic inputs, the line inputs will be fed from a small Mackie mixer that will be used for direct monitoring from a couple of hardware synths, so latency isn't going to be a problem, apart from that it'll be used to edit in Reaper, and play back music from YouTube in the house.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2062
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby ef37a » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:41 am

Arpangel wrote:
ef37a wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I bought a Behringer UC204, so job done.

Shame but then I hope it works well for you.
BTW, since SOS have never reviewed the whale **** Behrry boxes I would really like to know how they fair regarding latency with software sounds? AFAIK they don't have their own ASIO drivers.

Regarding padded down mic amps as line input? This excercises many people on forums. Their concerns tend to be...

1) The mic pre will add its own 'colour' to the sound. BS IMHO. Most mic amps are just a couple of discrete transistors and one or two OP amp sections, nothing there to modify the sound (and the Great SOS Mic Amp Shoot Out largely confirms that most mic pres do NOT have 'a sound')

2) The line input so derived will be noisier than a dedicated stage. No reason why this should be so if the job is done right and in anycase, the standard balanced line ins on the vast majority of AI and mixers are not THAT low noise anyway.

Enjoy.

Dave.

It should be fine, it's a UC204HD.
I'm never going to use the mic inputs, the line inputs will be fed from a small Mackie mixer that will be used for direct monitoring from a couple of hardware synths, so latency isn't going to be a problem, apart from that it'll be used to edit in Reaper, and play back music from YouTube in the house.

Ah! You misunderstand me. I WANT to know about the latency and since SOS has not run a ruler over them so far I am asking where I can.
I would like you see to get my son a modest AI. I want cheap becuse he is a flakey, itinerate musician in northern France and fekkin' LOOSES things! But he has been spoiled you see running a keyboard controller into an M-A 2496 using Cubase Ess6 and that was only just acceptable to him for latency.

I could buy the KA6 Mkll but they have dropped the basic Cubase bundle, silly asses. Then it would be a loss if it went astray.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10878
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 am

ef37a wrote:Ah! You misunderstand me. I WANT to know about the latency and since SOS has not run a ruler over them so far I am asking where I can.
I would like you see to get my son a modest AI. I want cheap becuse he is a flakey, itinerate musician in northern France and fekkin' LOOSES things! But he has been spoiled you see running a keyboard controller into an M-A 2496 using Cubase Ess6 and that was only just acceptable to him for latency.

I could buy the KA6 Mkll but they have dropped the basic Cubase bundle, silly asses. Then it would be a loss if it went astray.

Dave.

Don't worry Dave! I'll post a report as soon as it arrives, I'm away at the moment, but I'll be back at the weekend.
I can test it with soft synths if you like, I don't do much live overdubbing but I suppose I could do a loop-back test.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2062
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby garrettendi » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:02 am

ef37a wrote:AFAIK they don't have their own ASIO drivers.

I just want to chime in and say the UMC204HD along with the other "higher" models of UMC have their own ASIO drivers.

Do not use ASIO4ALL drivers as they won't work as well.

I believe the drivers are on the Berry website and cover XP to W10!
User avatar
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:00 am
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:13 am

garrettendi wrote:
ef37a wrote:AFAIK they don't have their own ASIO drivers.

I just want to chime in and say the UMC204HD along with the other "higher" models of UMC have their own ASIO drivers.

Do not use ASIO4ALL drivers as they won't work as well.

I believe the drivers are on the Berry website and cover XP to W10!

Exactly this, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it!
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2062
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby garrettendi » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:24 am

Enjoy it Arpangel! It's a fine little box and has served me well. Hopefully if more of us buy them SOS will do a review! ;)
User avatar
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:00 am
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby ef37a » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:26 am

Ok chaps I get it...Forgive me DO!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10878
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby garrettendi » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:31 am

Verily thou art forgiven son. Go in peace!

And thanks for suggesting hearing about latency etc, Dave. I'd love to see hard numbers! I tried to get them myself but couldn't work it out in Mixbus. I use Reaper now so maybe I could try again.
User avatar
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:00 am
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:37 am

garrettendi wrote:Enjoy it Arpangel! It's a fine little box and has served me well. Hopefully if more of us buy them SOS will do a review! ;)

I just couldn't find a reason not to buy it, it seems to tick all boxes, and seems well spoken of by lots of people from different backgrounds. It's not going to be used for anything major, but even so, I'm sure it could stand comparison with a lot of other stuff that's more expensive, it's just the fact it's got Behringer written on it that would put some people off.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2062
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby garrettendi » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:45 am

Arpangel wrote:it's just the fact it's got Behringer written on it that would put some people off.

Agreed, I've had a couple bits and pieces by Behringer so far. The Vintager GM110 guitar amp I had was fantastic, and I regret getting rid of it.

I really do think they have an undeserved bad rep.
User avatar
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:00 am
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:52 am

garrettendi wrote:I really do think they have an undeserved bad rep.

Yes they do, and it was deserved in the early years, but despite all of the ethical/moral reasons people have about the way they do business, I think we have to admit that they've become a very innovative company, and now, they have some good new products that are game changers. And the quality of there products is as good or better than anyone else's at a particular price point, so who on earth wouldn't at least consider their products? It makes no sense not to.
I have compressors, monitors, pedals, and now this interface, no problems from my previous purchases at all, and 100% reliable, despite not being looked after as much as they could be.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2062
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:37 am

garrettendi wrote:I really do think they have an undeserved bad rep.
Not undeserved, but I do think that they are far better now and deserving of a cautiously open mind.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13062
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:51 am

Their DI boxes have been less than stellar IME.........
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10557
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BillB