You are here

Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Page 2 of 3

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:34 am
by garrettendi
That's not stupid at all! The money you save could be invested elsewhere, like a new synth or guitar! :thumbup:

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:41 am
by Arpangel
garrettendi wrote:That's not stupid at all! The money you save could be invested elsewhere, like a new synth or guitar! :thumbup:

Yes, something that actually makes noise!
If I got a UAD or an RME or whatever, I'd be sitting there thinking "hmm? It's got two inputs like the Behringer, and it's got two outputs like the Behringer, and like the Behringer you can monitor your sound and adjust levels etc, and, unlike the Berlinger, I haven't got Midi, what a swizz, and I paid fifteen times more for it.

:D

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:49 am
by The Elf
A penny too far, I'd say. Those MIDI ports will be there when you need 'em. If you *do* need them and they're not there...

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:07 am
by Arpangel
The Elf wrote:A penny too far, I'd say. Those MIDI ports will be there when you need 'em. If you *do* need them and they're not there...

You're right Elf, the trouble with USB controller keyboards without Midi sockets is that if you've got external sound modules you have to go through your DAW if you want to play them, that's always a pain.

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:23 pm
by Arpangel
I bought a Behringer UC204, so job done.

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:41 am
by garrettendi
The 204 or the 204HD? Hope you enjoy!

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:23 am
by ef37a
Arpangel wrote:I bought a Behringer UC204, so job done.

Shame but then I hope it works well for you.
BTW, since SOS have never reviewed the whale **** Behrry boxes I would really like to know how they fair regarding latency with software sounds? AFAIK they don't have their own ASIO drivers.

Regarding padded down mic amps as line input? This excercises many people on forums. Their concerns tend to be...

1) The mic pre will add its own 'colour' to the sound. BS IMHO. Most mic amps are just a couple of discrete transistors and one or two OP amp sections, nothing there to modify the sound (and the Great SOS Mic Amp Shoot Out largely confirms that most mic pres do NOT have 'a sound')

2) The line input so derived will be noisier than a dedicated stage. No reason why this should be so if the job is done right and in anycase, the standard balanced line ins on the vast majority of AI and mixers are not THAT low noise anyway.

Enjoy.

Dave.

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:30 am
by Arpangel
ef37a wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I bought a Behringer UC204, so job done.

Shame but then I hope it works well for you.
BTW, since SOS have never reviewed the whale **** Behrry boxes I would really like to know how they fair regarding latency with software sounds? AFAIK they don't have their own ASIO drivers.

Regarding padded down mic amps as line input? This excercises many people on forums. Their concerns tend to be...

1) The mic pre will add its own 'colour' to the sound. BS IMHO. Most mic amps are just a couple of discrete transistors and one or two OP amp sections, nothing there to modify the sound (and the Great SOS Mic Amp Shoot Out largely confirms that most mic pres do NOT have 'a sound')

2) The line input so derived will be noisier than a dedicated stage. No reason why this should be so if the job is done right and in anycase, the standard balanced line ins on the vast majority of AI and mixers are not THAT low noise anyway.

Enjoy.

Dave.

It should be fine, it's a UC204HD.
I'm never going to use the mic inputs, the line inputs will be fed from a small Mackie mixer that will be used for direct monitoring from a couple of hardware synths, so latency isn't going to be a problem, apart from that it'll be used to edit in Reaper, and play back music from YouTube in the house.

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:41 am
by ef37a
Arpangel wrote:
ef37a wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I bought a Behringer UC204, so job done.

Shame but then I hope it works well for you.
BTW, since SOS have never reviewed the whale **** Behrry boxes I would really like to know how they fair regarding latency with software sounds? AFAIK they don't have their own ASIO drivers.

Regarding padded down mic amps as line input? This excercises many people on forums. Their concerns tend to be...

1) The mic pre will add its own 'colour' to the sound. BS IMHO. Most mic amps are just a couple of discrete transistors and one or two OP amp sections, nothing there to modify the sound (and the Great SOS Mic Amp Shoot Out largely confirms that most mic pres do NOT have 'a sound')

2) The line input so derived will be noisier than a dedicated stage. No reason why this should be so if the job is done right and in anycase, the standard balanced line ins on the vast majority of AI and mixers are not THAT low noise anyway.

Enjoy.

Dave.

It should be fine, it's a UC204HD.
I'm never going to use the mic inputs, the line inputs will be fed from a small Mackie mixer that will be used for direct monitoring from a couple of hardware synths, so latency isn't going to be a problem, apart from that it'll be used to edit in Reaper, and play back music from YouTube in the house.

Ah! You misunderstand me. I WANT to know about the latency and since SOS has not run a ruler over them so far I am asking where I can.
I would like you see to get my son a modest AI. I want cheap becuse he is a flakey, itinerate musician in northern France and fekkin' LOOSES things! But he has been spoiled you see running a keyboard controller into an M-A 2496 using Cubase Ess6 and that was only just acceptable to him for latency.

I could buy the KA6 Mkll but they have dropped the basic Cubase bundle, silly asses. Then it would be a loss if it went astray.

Dave.

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 am
by Arpangel
ef37a wrote:Ah! You misunderstand me. I WANT to know about the latency and since SOS has not run a ruler over them so far I am asking where I can.
I would like you see to get my son a modest AI. I want cheap becuse he is a flakey, itinerate musician in northern France and fekkin' LOOSES things! But he has been spoiled you see running a keyboard controller into an M-A 2496 using Cubase Ess6 and that was only just acceptable to him for latency.

I could buy the KA6 Mkll but they have dropped the basic Cubase bundle, silly asses. Then it would be a loss if it went astray.

Dave.

Don't worry Dave! I'll post a report as soon as it arrives, I'm away at the moment, but I'll be back at the weekend.
I can test it with soft synths if you like, I don't do much live overdubbing but I suppose I could do a loop-back test.

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:02 am
by garrettendi
ef37a wrote:AFAIK they don't have their own ASIO drivers.

I just want to chime in and say the UMC204HD along with the other "higher" models of UMC have their own ASIO drivers.

Do not use ASIO4ALL drivers as they won't work as well.

I believe the drivers are on the Berry website and cover XP to W10!

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:13 am
by Arpangel
garrettendi wrote:
ef37a wrote:AFAIK they don't have their own ASIO drivers.

I just want to chime in and say the UMC204HD along with the other "higher" models of UMC have their own ASIO drivers.

Do not use ASIO4ALL drivers as they won't work as well.

I believe the drivers are on the Berry website and cover XP to W10!

Exactly this, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it!

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:24 am
by garrettendi
Enjoy it Arpangel! It's a fine little box and has served me well. Hopefully if more of us buy them SOS will do a review! ;)

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:26 am
by ef37a
Ok chaps I get it...Forgive me DO!

Dave.

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:31 am
by garrettendi
Verily thou art forgiven son. Go in peace!

And thanks for suggesting hearing about latency etc, Dave. I'd love to see hard numbers! I tried to get them myself but couldn't work it out in Mixbus. I use Reaper now so maybe I could try again.

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:37 am
by Arpangel
garrettendi wrote:Enjoy it Arpangel! It's a fine little box and has served me well. Hopefully if more of us buy them SOS will do a review! ;)

I just couldn't find a reason not to buy it, it seems to tick all boxes, and seems well spoken of by lots of people from different backgrounds. It's not going to be used for anything major, but even so, I'm sure it could stand comparison with a lot of other stuff that's more expensive, it's just the fact it's got Behringer written on it that would put some people off.

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:45 am
by garrettendi
Arpangel wrote:it's just the fact it's got Behringer written on it that would put some people off.

Agreed, I've had a couple bits and pieces by Behringer so far. The Vintager GM110 guitar amp I had was fantastic, and I regret getting rid of it.

I really do think they have an undeserved bad rep.

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:52 am
by Arpangel
garrettendi wrote:I really do think they have an undeserved bad rep.

Yes they do, and it was deserved in the early years, but despite all of the ethical/moral reasons people have about the way they do business, I think we have to admit that they've become a very innovative company, and now, they have some good new products that are game changers. And the quality of there products is as good or better than anyone else's at a particular price point, so who on earth wouldn't at least consider their products? It makes no sense not to.
I have compressors, monitors, pedals, and now this interface, no problems from my previous purchases at all, and 100% reliable, despite not being looked after as much as they could be.

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:37 am
by The Elf
garrettendi wrote:I really do think they have an undeserved bad rep.
Not undeserved, but I do think that they are far better now and deserving of a cautiously open mind.

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:51 am
by Sam Spoons
Their DI boxes have been less than stellar IME.........