You are here

Saffire Mix Control

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Saffire Mix Control

Postby pa28 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:25 pm

Not a major problem but a really annoying one. For a while now I have got used to firing up Cubase Pro 8.5, with a Saffire Pro 40 and Mix control v3.7. There is no sound when playing (although all meters are working showing its playing) except when changing ASIO buffer sizes from what is set to any other then back again and bingo, magic sounds again.

As said, does not stop work in any way but is a glitch I can't figure out why?
pa28
Regular
Capitalisation is the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse  & helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Re: Saffire Mix Control

Postby OneWorld » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:26 pm

pa28 wrote:Not a major problem but a really annoying one. For a while now I have got used to firing up Cubase Pro 8.5, with a Saffire Pro 40 and Mix control v3.7. There is no sound when playing (although all meters are working showing its playing) except when changing ASIO buffer sizes from what is set to any other then back again and bingo, magic sounds again.

As said, does not stop work in any way but is a glitch I can't figure out why?

All I can say is I feel your pain. It started with one of the incarnations of Win10. I use the LiquidMix 56 and had not problem with it whatsoever, then all of a suddent this glitch appeared.

That said, although I have Cubase 10, I kept a version of Cubase 6 on my PC and the problem does not appear when I use Cubase 6, so it is hard to tell which is the culprit.

I have recently installed Cakewalk Sonar X3, and want to move away from Cubase (Sonar X3 has a far better GUI) and I haven't noticed the problem with that thus far.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:52 pm

I just tried C10, C6 and SonarX3, none would play a sound until I'd changed the buffer setting
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:32 pm

OneWorld wrote:I have recently installed Cakewalk Sonar X3, and want to move away from Cubase (Sonar X3 has a far better GUI) and I haven't noticed the problem with that thus far.

Just btw, keep X3 installed (so you have the goodies that come with it) but then head up to BandLab and download the most recent Cakewalk software (you have to use their bandlab assistant and create an account, but it's well worth the effort): it's X3 with several years of development and bugfixing.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby pa28 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:30 pm

I have not got Win 10, still on Win 7 Pro, with no intention of "upgrading" until no option, At least I know its not something I have done/not done. So maybe a chat with Focusrite is an idea.
pa28
Regular
Capitalisation is the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse  & helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Postby OneWorld » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:15 am

pa28 wrote:I have not got Win 10, still on Win 7 Pro, with no intention of "upgrading" until no option, At least I know its not something I have done/not done. So maybe a chat with Focusrite is an idea.

Yep, let us know how you go on with Focusrite
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:17 am

CS70 wrote:
OneWorld wrote:I have recently installed Cakewalk Sonar X3, and want to move away from Cubase (Sonar X3 has a far better GUI) and I haven't noticed the problem with that thus far.

Just btw, keep X3 installed (so you have the goodies that come with it) but then head up to BandLab and download the most recent Cakewalk software (you have to use their bandlab assistant and create an account, but it's well worth the effort): it's X3 with several years of development and bugfixing.

Thanks for the heads up. I am amazed at the stuff that comes with it already so it's good to hear there's even more available
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby pa28 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:05 am

Now have a ticket from Focusrite support, so hope an answer is forthcoming.
pa28
Regular

Re: Saffire Mix Control (Response from Focusrite)

Postby pa28 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:23 pm

Had response from Focusrite,

Thanks for getting in contact.

This is a minor bug we are aware of with this version of Mix Control. The same fix can be achieved by toggling the sync source.

Unfortunately development support for the Mix Control software has since been dropped so this is not likely to be resolved in any updates. Thankfully this is a very simple fix & the issue isn't too destructive.

Best regards,

Jack Lane // Focusrite & Novation Technical Support Engineer

Ah well, thats that then, hope this helps someone else with this "problem"
pa28
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:23 pm

I am at the point of renewing hardware, I have an RME FF800 under the bench, but I choose to use my Liquid56 simply because of the ease of accessibility to sockets, level controls. But this reply from Focusrite helps me decide as to reply my equipment with Focusrite stuff or RME. I believe RME use their own design chips whereas Focusrite buys them in and as such RME has legendary user support, whereas Focusrite not quite so :-(

The odd thing about all this is that I never had the problem until a recent update of Win10
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:03 pm

Things change. It would be nice if some things didn't, but that's the way of the world and operating systems. The latest Yosemite update on Macs caused a huge amount of effort by audio software companies to get their products working on it.

But if one manufacturer decides to withdraw software support well before another manufacturer does for even older product, then I know whose products I'd be buying in the future.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853