You are here

Multi-language manuals

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Multi-language manuals

Postby N i g e l » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:43 pm

Thats why people take public transport when they go clubbing !

;)
N i g e l
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:48 pm

N i g e l wrote:
Folderol wrote:For the ultimate in stupid manual layout, get one for a Skoda :protest:

Mercedes manual:
Never leave a pet unattended in the vehicle. Due to the seals on doors and windows the animal might suffocate.

Skoda manual:
Never leave a pet unattended in the vehicle. Due to the seals on doors and windows the animal might escape.

:) the old ones are the best

My multi language manuals are in the empty carboard box in the loft.
I find it much easier to use the pdf manual version - makes searching for specifics easier too.

I have instructions printed in bright red on the inside of my cars sun visor, when I pull it down it says "WARNING! DO NOT DRIVE CAR ON LONG GRASS OR COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL"

:-|
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:59 pm

N i g e l wrote:I find it much easier to use the pdf manual version - makes searching for specifics easier too.
It's the PDFs I'm talking about! At least with paper I could scribble over the stuff I didn't need and mark the stuff I did need - I even used to tape up the foreign pages! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby MOF » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:12 pm

I find it much easier to use the pdf manual version - makes searching for specifics easier too.

I prefer paper to PDF because I can easily go from one page to another when it’s two separate, but related, topics e.g. “see page 123” when you’re on page 5.
MOF
Regular

Postby John Willett » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:59 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I know, we've got one of those stupid Hive things, that's nearly ended up through the window many times.

Strange! We have one too. Seems like total simplicity to me... but I've been using timer-thermostats for decades anyway. All the Hive added (for me) was essentially the remote control option... but I'm yet to find a real use for that other than sometimes using it to check the temperature when I'm too lazy to get out of my chair!

H

Hive is excellent.

I have lights programmed so it seems we are in when se are out - heating can be switched off if we are out and then turned on an hour before we get home so the house is nice and warm.

Couldn't be without it. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby N i g e l » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:24 pm

MOF wrote:I prefer paper to PDF because I can easily go from one page to another when it’s two separate, but related, topics e.g. “see page 123” when you’re on page 5.

PDFs are very much a mixed bunch. Some are top notch, fully thubmnailed & indexed, with clickable text links, others are just like photocopies [and not just the ones from the 80's]
Most PDFs ive used are portrait and my screens are mainly landscape. :headbang:

I sometimes print out some of the essential info (like the more obscure power up button presses) and stick it somewhere handy.

The Elf wrote:At least with paper I could scribble over the stuff I didn't need

You might be able to customise your manuals using a free PDF editor, either downloaded or on "the cloud".
Deletions and mark ups sound like they should be basic functions.

Arpangel wrote:I have instructions printed in bright red on the inside of my cars sun visor, when I pull it down it says "WARNING! DO NOT DRIVE CAR ON LONG GRASS OR COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL"

Sensible advise !
N i g e l
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:16 pm

N i g e l wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I have instructions printed in bright red on the inside of my cars sun visor, when I pull it down it says "WARNING! DO NOT DRIVE CAR ON LONG GRASS OR COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL"

Sensible advise !

I have driven over long grass and been OK, but as for other combustible surfaces, I don't know. Obviously, what I need is a combustible surface sensor installed.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:40 am

I went to a hill-climb near here a few years back where the public were directed to park in a harvested wheat field, and as I walked through to the circuit I became aware of a commotion around a couple of cars where the catalytic converter of one had set the stubble alight...

It really can and does happen! Especially in Australia and California, probably...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:36 am

You aren’t concerned about your Hive being hacked?

The other week I walked by a large number of people were standing on the street milling about in front of an office tower. Somebody hacked the elevator system and they had to evacuate.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dynamic Mike » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:53 am

Arpangel wrote:
N i g e l wrote:

Sensible advise !

I have driven over long grass and been OK, but as for other combustible surfaces, I don't know. Obviously, what I need is a combustible surface sensor installed.

Many years ago I was directed to park in long grass to watch BTCC at Truxton after a very long (and fast) drive. My catalytic converter overheated & Mercedes wanted £2k for a new one. The car wasn't worth much more so I traded it in for another at Fords of Winsford (they don't test drive part ex's). Never parked in long grass since.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:23 am

ManFromGlass wrote:You aren’t concerned about your Hive being hacked?

The other week I walked by a large number of people were standing on the street milling about in front of an office tower. Somebody hacked the elevator system and they had to evacuate.

This is the problem with all this s**t technology.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:41 am

It's more a problem with sh*t humans who feel a need to disrupt everything. If everyone was decent, then we wouldn't need virus checkers and firewalls. Or armies. Humans need a firmware update.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:49 am

Wonks wrote:Humans need a firmware update.

Yes, it's ctl-alt-del also known as the "big red button"
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:18 am

Arpangel wrote:

Is it? Or is it that humans will always seek to compromise technology for gain, prejudice, or simple devilment. People used to sneak into the Sheffield grinding shops and 'hack' slices through the drive belts to harm the non-union workers...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:22 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

Is it? Or is it that humans will always seek to compromise technology for gain, prejudice, or simple devilment. People used to sneak into the Sheffield grinding shops and 'hack' slices through the drive belts to harm the non-union workers...

That's exactly the problem Elf, I just don't know why, knowing all the weak points, we still insist on putting all of our eggs in this one fragile basket called computers.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:33 am

Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

That's exactly the problem Elf, I just don't know why, knowing all the weak points, we still insist on putting all of our eggs in this one fragile basket called computers.
Or the internal combustion engine, or the printing press, or... it's not computers that are the problem.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:32 pm

So that's why I couldn't understand how to get the flippery omh inductor to talk to the flump d'esser in Win10 - I have been reading the Finnish bit of the manual DUH!

All technical manuals might as well be written in double-Dutch as far as I'm concerned
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby garrettendi » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:39 pm

I have quite the collection of user manuals on my Dropbox. If I'm interested in buying something, I get the manual and read it first. If I have a VST simulation of a real physical product, I'll also download the real product's manual and read that too.

I actually enjoy reading manuals more than magazines or books!

I erm... even have manuals of things I haven't bought or are not interested in anymore. Or things I gave away/sold years ago.

:beamup:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:41 pm

The Internet of Things is a security sh!tshow manifesting in three fairly simple symptoms:
1) device lifetime is so short for many of these things that by the time the flaw / exploit has been discovered the manufacturer has moved onto the next model. So it's not a problem for them.
2) most users will never even realise that their device has been exploited. And are always chasing the next new thing. So it's not a problem for them.
3) you, personally, are very unlikely to be the victim of a DDOS attack. So it's not a problem for you.
This means there's no market solution because it's an externalised problem. It's nobody's problem so no-one is paying to fix it.

These are just symptoms of course, the real problem is that people are too lazy to secure their devices. And that's a problem as old as time (in one form or another).
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:42 pm

garrettendi wrote:I have quite the collection of user manuals on my Dropbox. If I'm interested in buying something, I get the manual and read it first. If I have a VST simulation of a real physical product, I'll also download the real product's manual and read that too.

I actually enjoy reading manuals more than magazines or books!

I erm... even have manuals of things I haven't bought or are not interested in anymore. Or things I gave away/sold years ago.

:beamup:
You sir, are an example to us all! :D :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

PreviousNext