You are here

1st EQ recommendation

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: 1st EQ recommendation

Postby jodaki » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:42 am

James Perrett wrote: I took the bottom off and traced the circuit through.

In my world (software) we call that reverse engineering. Very similar exercise I imagine - except (and this is a big contrast between software and hardware) that doing that with commercial software is either sadly illegal in most cases, or impractical (by design).
jodaki
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:00 am

Ah... the 741. Classic... When I was at uni I could draw its complete schematic and describe the function of every transistor in the thing... :geek:

The first IC-based mixer I built used 741s. It actually worked tolerably well for my early amateur requirements, with an acceptable noise floor for analogue tape-based applications. And it's restricted gain-bandwidth was probably helpful in keeping out nasty RF interference!

PW's schematic of the mixer channel is a bit odd to follow with the -ve power rail at the top, but it's an interesting and unusual EQ design all right. Like to see some plots from that.

And placing the channel fader in the output driver's negative feedback loop is rather unusual too. Clearly MM weren't afraid of some bold engineering designs! :-)
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:22 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:...it's an interesting and unusual EQ design all right. Like to see some plots from that.

Once I've got the house move out of the way I'll see what I can do.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:34 pm

:thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:40 am

A friend gave me my MM 16-2, it had a bag of concrete dropped on it. I cleaned it, replaced all the wiring and sockets, repaired the VU meters, and all was fine.
The track "Who's Gettin it" was recorded entirely using the MM.

https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/track/whos-gettin-it
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Previous