You are here

Run out of IEC leads.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Run out of IEC leads.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:51 am

I can't believe it, I've actually run out! my box is empty, for the first time ever.
And I'm only just discovering how difficult they are to buy over the counter, almost impossible if you live in the sticks.
I need just one lead, for my left monitor, I went to the local Screwfix yesterday after trying various places with no success, and they had to order it in for today! at an extortionate cost of £6.99! :shock:
I used to get handfuls of these from skips at the back of offices in London, but not where I am now.
I'm waiting for when I'm in London and I can pop round to Cricklewood Electronics who sell them for a more reasonable three quid each.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Run out of IEC leads.

Postby ef37a » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:23 am

Ha! The network gear firm I worked for did a 'special' power supply for a customer and one supply in the chassis needed an IEC plug to FA to go into a choc-block distro.
Because it was a rush job (always 'king were!) they just bought in a shedload of IEC to 13A plug cables and we chopped them.

Then the customer went cold on the idea and they were left with several boxes of leads. A year or so later a 'new broom' stores manager skipped the Jewsen lot! I of course liberated quite a few but am now down to my last couple.

Maplin of course carried them but you paid for the convenience.
Do you not have any 'Rock Bottom' type stores around?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:44 am

Last studio re-jig 2 years ago I threw away at least 50 IEC leads, and still had them coming out of my ears. Two weeks ago I was scratching round for one. Quite clearly there's something metaphysical going on!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby John Willett » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:47 am

I get mine from Canford Audio - and get the ones that lock into the socket so they can't be pulled out without releasing the lock. :thumbup:

See here

John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:07 am

I gave up on the original locking IEC design because the release button wasn't at all obvious and 'helpers' used to pull ever harder in trying to remove the connectors, risking serious damage!

The current design is a lot better with its big red handle... but still most people have no idea about the release mechanism, so damage is still a real possibility.

If I was using gear in situations where vibration was an issue and plugs might accidentally become disconnected I'd certainly use the locking IECs... but I don't, so I don't. The standard IEC has proven to be perfectly secure enough for me in normal applications.

I think IEC cables multiply in the dark when no one is looking... and then when a critical mass is reached they all migrate to someone else's collection!

It wasn't long ago that I struggled to find an IEC cable in the studio, but I recently had a 'stock check' of my cable collections as part of the necessary tidy up for the studio rebuild and discovered dozens of IEC cables lurking in the shadows... so I've added them to the large box full already stored in the 'man cave'. I'm expecting them all to have disappeared again before the new year! :lol:

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:15 am

Yes, it's very feast or famine with the numbers. Almost a tidal effect. I think they take it in turns with USB leads.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:18 am

Arpangel wrote:... they had to order it in for today! at an extortionate cost of £6.99!
Ah, yes, the old 'consumer shopping' experience. I popped up to a certain computing-related retailer nearby for a 'convenient' 2m ethernet cable recently and opted out of the £15 or so they were asking for it. Then got half a dozen of them from Amazon for about £4 for the lot.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I think IEC cables multiply in the dark when no one is looking... and then when a critical mass is reached they all migrate to someone else's collection!

Judging by the bulging plastic container tucked under my table I think someone else's may have migrated to mine at the moment :lol:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:21 am

I tried all the pound shops, no luck, B&Q no luck, even a couple of local electrical wholesalers, no luck.
If I got desperate I used to go to Studio Spares on the North Circular when I lived in London, but now they've gone, that was a surprise, they're in Watford or somewhere equally foreign now. London rates probably, and an inaccessible location, if you didn't live near.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:21 am

St Albans.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:24 am

Wonks wrote:St Albans.

It's on-line I guess, but postage makes small things expensive.
Cricklewood Electronics is good, but I'm waiting for the sad day when I turn up there and it's shut down, the days of DIY component shops seem to be dwindling.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:24 am

Arpangel wrote:I need just one lead, for my left monitor, I went to the local Screwfix yesterday after trying various places with no success, and they had to order it in for today! at an extortionate cost of £6.99! :shock:

Not bad, at £9,993 cheaper than this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nedis-CEGB1003 ... 823&sr=8-1

:headbang:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:26 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:There's always this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nedis-CEGB1003 ... 823&sr=8-1

Very reasonable, I just ordered ten....

:D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:30 am

Amazon prime same day delivery does it for me (as long as you order before 12.30, otherwise it's next day). Yes, you may pay a bit extra for a lead, but how much time and travel money do you save, especially if you have to make a dedicated journey?

I have a Screwfix depot about 3 miles away from me, but they aren't any cheaper than Amazon. Plus on Amazon, you can get almost any length lead you want.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby FrankF » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:53 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I need just one lead, for my left monitor, I went to the local Screwfix yesterday after trying various places with no success, and they had to order it in for today! at an extortionate cost of £6.99! :shock:

Not bad, at £9,993 cheaper than this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nedis-CEGB1003 ... 823&sr=8-1

Yes, but is it directional?
FrankF
Regular

Postby DGL. » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:20 pm

You were had :D , £3.92 at Toolstation, although might need ordering in. Plus only £4 for an actual kettle lead!
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:20 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Arpangel wrote:... they had to order it in for today! at an extortionate cost of £6.99!
Ah, yes, the old 'consumer shopping' experience. I popped up to a certain computing-related retailer nearby for a 'convenient' 2m ethernet cable recently and opted out of the £15 or so they were asking for it. Then got half a dozen of them from Amazon for about £4 for the lot.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I think IEC cables multiply in the dark when no one is looking... and then when a critical mass is reached they all migrate to someone else's collection!

Judging by the bulging plastic container tucked under my table I think someone else's may have migrated to mine at the moment :lol:

But beware of uber cheap ethernet cables Eddy. The manager of Cables at the network gear factory used to bemoan the cheap imports cutting into sales because they did not come anwhere near CAT5e/6 specification. I dare say they work fine for router purposes but 128 channels over Dante?

I bought a very long cheapy some years ago and could not get 'bugger to work for even low grade data, then found one pair was O/C!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:33 pm

ef37a wrote:
But beware of uber cheap ethernet cables Eddy. The manager of Cables at the network gear factory used to bemoan the cheap imports cutting into sales because they did not come anwhere near CAT5e/6 specification. I dare say they work fine for router purposes but 128 channels over Dante?

I'm surprised you mentioned Dante, Dave, as it doesn't support MIDI! :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Wonks wrote:
ef37a wrote:

I'm surprised you mentioned Dante, Dave, as it doesn't support MIDI! :D

Does it not?! Well, stuff that then. Surely plans are afoot to encompass MIDI 2.0?

Jusfort: You can run 'MIDI over Ethernet'? I actually got it working with a time limited freebie some years ago. Could that share the same cable as Dante?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ken long » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:47 pm

ef37a wrote:skipped the Jewsen lot!

What does this mean?
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby Luke W » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:49 pm

Think yourself lucky, everywhere I turn there's another bloody IEC looking back at me.
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Next