You are here

RME Digiface USB Failed

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

RME Digiface USB Failed

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:54 pm

Had it two years now I think. Very little use, moved my setup around the room a bit and the Digiface doesn't work. Can't blame Catalina, or MBP 2019, because I use it on the iMac running High Sierra. I disconnected it, and boy was it toasty warm. Tried it on the MBP with Catalina and saw an error report not hitherto seen along the lines of - "USB devices disabled until the item using too much power is removed"

It's annoying but not really a problem, because I can use the X32 Card to ship optical signals out. Out of warranty I would guess, which saves the bother of shipping it back to the UK. They're not very expensive, but still, 2 years of very light use is a bit disappointing for a leading product. Ho hum! not really a problem as I say.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: RME Digiface USB Failed

Postby Ramirez » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:11 pm

Wow, an RME failure seems to be a rare thing indeed!
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:36 pm

Contact RME. I'm sure a card swap could be arranged.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:44 am

Ramirez wrote:Wow, an RME failure seems to be a rare thing indeed!

Yes, I thought there was a law against that.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:17 pm

Yes I seem to be a tad unlucky with gear. I bought lots of battery back up power surge things after a disaster with a thunderstorm a while back and they have proved priceless (got the suggestion from Dr Hugh as I recall). This is just one of those things, I will buy another one with no hesitation when I can source one in Bangkok. Emails are sent already. It is so useful for me. Exactly what I need.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Mixedup » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Don't suppose you bought it direct from Synthax (RME's UK distributor)? They offer a 5-year warranty on RME products...

If not, I reckon it's worth contacting the seller and/or RME too anyway.

EDIT - sorry, just seen your location... on the other side of the world! :headbang:
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:07 pm

I bought it from a store in Newcastle upon Tyne last time I was in the UK about 2 years ago. They have gone bust since. (internet shopping casualty)

But good news - I contacted support at RME and they invited me to send the unit in for repair! Very decent of them since it must be out of warranty.

So I'll parcel it off as soon as I can find out where to send it.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:36 am

:) RME say contact your local dealer. Local dealer is in Bangkok. Local dealer ignores emails and messages. Phone local dealer. Local dealer does not speak English and hangs up on hearing English. Locate unauthorised dealer who speaks English. Buy another RME Digiface from unauthorised dealer. Throw away failed RME Digiface. Start looking at alternative manufacturers for when new one fails. Failure is not that uncommon according to RME support blogs. End of story. :)
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:54 pm

Did you register the unit with Synthax (the RME UK distributor) when you bought it? If you did then you should contact them about a repair under the 5 year warranty. It might be worth contacting them anyway.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby John Willett » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:28 pm

James Perrett wrote:Did you register the unit with Synthax (the RME UK distributor) when you bought it? If you did then you should contact them about a repair under the 5 year warranty. It might be worth contacting them anyway.

Synthax UK are very good. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Humble Bee » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:46 pm

Throw away RME Digiface...

:o
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:49 am

James Perrett wrote:Did you register the unit with Synthax (the RME UK distributor) when you bought it? If you did then you should contact them about a repair under the 5 year warranty. It might be worth contacting them anyway.

I bought a new one. The original was bought in a UK shop now closed. I flew back home the next day. However, as you say it might be worth contacting them anyway - what can I lose? and I might gain a repair which would give me a spare unit.

The episode has made me look at alternatives. Since I got the Midas Verona I'm having great fun in the analogue domain, and certainly the MOTU Ai and Ao look interesting, but I've only just realised there are a slew of interfaces I should look at. Every cloud has a silver lining as everyone except Glenn Gould says. (He said behind every silver lining there lurks a cloud)
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:23 am

I think this thread goes to show that consumer laws are due a serious shakeup?

In UK at least (and EU?) it IS the case that the retailer has the responsiblity for product service, whatever that might entail.
That was fine in the days of Hoover vacs (Hoover carried spares for at least 10yrs) and 'big' CRT tellies but for highly complex modern electronics you cannot expect even quite a large electrical shop to have such highly qualified staff, if only because so much gear is now SO reliable they would have little to do much of the time.

Yes, silver lining seems to be showing in this case but we have to stop landfilling so much electronic tat and the good stuff!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster