You are here

Home Studio vs Professional Studio

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Home Studio vs Professional Studio

Postby MOF » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:28 pm

I know we're all different, but for me, there is no difference at all, between studio or live performances, I'm still giving a performance, the audience is just different, or just me!

A mate of mine, who enjoys going to gigs, says that later live performances are often better than the original record because the band have improved on it over time.
Now that could just be the live atmosphere that’s psychologically affecting his judgement or there might be something in it.
It might be worth delaying going into a studio with new tracks so that it’s second nature to play them and hone them first.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:40 pm

MOF wrote:
I know we're all different, but for me, there is no difference at all, between studio or live performances, I'm still giving a performance, the audience is just different, or just me!

A mate of mine, who enjoys going to gigs, says that later live performances are often better than the original record because the band have improved on it over time.
Now that could just be the live atmosphere that’s psychologically affecting his judgement or there might be something in it.
It might be worth delaying going into a studio with new tracks so that it’s second nature to play them and hone them first.

You hit a quite complex point. Most of my band's song change very much when played live - some because the original recordings have no drums or bass, others because I've had different melodic guitar parts on the way me and the backing sing it has changed over time, or we have added different harmonies and melodies. So in a way it's a good idea to wait.

In another way, however, it's hard to keep the raw excitement and novelty of the first few times you play a song after making it. With a band, there's that magic moment when, after messing about a fair amount of time, finally everyone "gets" their role and finally the song clicks.. that is imho the absolutely ideal moment to record it, even if if it's not perfect and certainly a performance is more polished after the 100th time you play it.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:03 am

On a slightly unrelated yet related note, I beleve Angel studios is closing soon which is a real shame. Maybe a tribute piece is an idea for an SOS article? It has been a great studio.

Postby John Willett » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:48 pm

MOF wrote:A mate of mine, who enjoys going to gigs, says that later live performances are often better than the original record because the band have improved on it over time.

More likely because the band did not give a "performance" in the recording - spending the time on getting it to sound "right" that they missed the most important bit - the performance.

A musician will put his/her heart and soul into performing on stage - they need to do the same in the studio to get a really great recording that the listener will want to hear again and again. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Arpangel » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:44 am

John Willett wrote:
MOF wrote:A mate of mine, who enjoys going to gigs, says that later live performances are often better than the original record because the band have improved on it over time.

More likely because the band did not give a "performance" in the recording - spending the time on getting it to sound "right" that they missed the most important bit - the performance.

A musician will put his/her heart and soul into performing on stage - they need to do the same in the studio to get a really great recording that the listener will want to hear again and again. :thumbup:

That's interesting, when I'm playing at a gig I'm not really there in my head, I'm sort of going through the motions.
But when I'm in "a studio" or recording at home, I'm right there, emotionally 150%
I think some people have different priorities, recordings, or performance.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:14 am

Arpangel wrote:That's interesting, when I'm playing at a gig I'm not really there in my head, I'm sort of going through the motions.
But when I'm in "a studio" or recording at home, I'm right there, emotionally 150%
I think some people have different priorities, recordings, or performance.

Yeah in a way, I like the studio better as well. Live it's always a bit of a compromise, you cannot bring half a dozen guitars and four or five amps to get each song just right (not to mention a truckload of instrumentalists that have collaborated on one song), so you make do with what is sensible or are forced to cut some pieces altogether. There's always that nagging feeling that things are not just entirely right. In a way the most satisfactory songs to play live are the more straightforward ones.

On the other side, it's awesome to play to a crowd who's responding to what you do..
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:33 am

I find it much harder to give a full on performance in studio or rehearsal room. Live a good audience give you a huge boost.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:44 am

Sam Spoons wrote:I find it much harder to give a full on performance in studio or rehearsal room. Live a good audience give you a huge boost.

Yeah I guess most do.

When I'm recording client singers, the thing I have to work the most on is to get them to let go and sing loud and freely without feeling awkward or self conscious.
Singing loud and to your heart's content to a more or less empty room isn't something that comes natural to most of us - I definitely had to learn it.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:58 am

Yup, bang on the money CS
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:29 pm

Yep, it's one of the things i'm looking forward to being able to do once my shed is finished. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:19 am

CS70 wrote:Singing loud and to your heart's content to a more or less empty room isn't something that comes natural to most of us - I definitely had to learn it.

I'm an expert at it, as most of my gigs are done in more or less empty rooms....

:D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby John Willett » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Arpangel wrote:
CS70 wrote:Singing loud and to your heart's content to a more or less empty room isn't something that comes natural to most of us - I definitely had to learn it.

I'm an expert at it, as most of my gigs are done in more or less empty rooms....

:D

:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:20 pm

Arpangel wrote:

Are you sure you're playing in an audi-torium and not a sani-torium Tony? :shock: :crazy: :o

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby John Willett » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:09 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

Are you sure you're playing in an audi-torium and not a sani-torium Tony? :shock: :crazy: :o

Martin

:bouncy:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby Ma-Music » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:04 am

Professional studio's are great, but I agree that it is easy to get intimated and not use them to the full potential. A lot of that has to do with you may be using gear that you are not familiar with.

It's tough to match the sound quality that many studio's provide (i.e.: sound proof rooms and rooms made specifically for audio recording). But if you can, I think it's best to have a home studio that you can be yourself in, and master your equipment!
Ma-Music
New here

Postby Arpangel » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:54 am

CS70 wrote:Live it's always a bit of a compromise

That's very true, and it "makes me angry" to put it lightly.
Unless, you're a top name act, forget it, basically.
The PA? it's the best "we" could get...?
The location of the PA, monitors etc, always way down the list, the main bands drinks cabinet takes a higher priority.
Engineers that actually want to help you and haven't a large chip on their shoulder, or who are normally in the box office selling tickets but they'er doing the "sound" tonight for a mate.
Playing live is a really good way to give yourself some bad PR, unless you're on the ball, but then you're seen as another prima-donna, just for expecting things to be "OK"
The phrase "good enough for rock n roll" that's not even true anymore.
As for playing to small audiences, I played to one person once, there were five of us in my band, it was a winters night in a Tottenham church hall, we invited the guy back to my place to hear us, as it was warmer!
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:48 pm

My smallest audience (on a paid gig) was three, we only outnumbered them 'cos the bass players girlfriend was with us. :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:57 pm

As most fully professional musicians have studios at a professional standard and can record to the same standard of quality as many well-appointed commercial studios, I was going to say that there is no difference.

But then I went into the kitchen for a coffee and it struck me - the REAL difference!

Walk into any studio canteen, from Abbey Road to the lowliest rehearsal and demo room and open the cutlery drawers. There will be a massive surfeit of spoons!

Musos bring their own spoons. They forget plectrums, guitar strings, their fav. back-line is still at home, we have had violinists open their violin cases only to find that there's only the bow in there and as for the bloody sheet-musics - if they have any, it will be missing a vital page or two.

Of course, if they do have the musics, it will be without lyrics and there is a mad dash to remember and write down the words.

But for some reason, they always bring their own spoons - and then leave them behind!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby paul tha other » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:27 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:As most fully professional musicians have studios at a professional standard and can record to the same standard of quality as many well-appointed commercial studios, I was going to say that there is no difference.

But then I went into the kitchen for a coffee and it struck me - the REAL difference!

Walk into any studio canteen, from Abbey Road to the lowliest rehearsal and demo room and open the cutlery drawers. There will be a massive surfeit of spoons!

Musos bring their own spoons. They forget plectrums, guitar strings, their fav. back-line is still at home, we have had violinists open their violin cases only to find that there's only the bow in there and as for the bloody sheet-musics - if they have any, it will be missing a vital page or two.

Of course, if they do have the musics, it will be without lyrics and there is a mad dash to remember and write down the words.

But for some reason, they always bring their own spoons - and then leave them behind!

ha ha...you owe me a new monitor..i just sprayed it with a mouthfull of coffee :lol: :lol: ....we have a drawer at the studio with lots of spoons..where do they come from and why do they end up at recording studios??.. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
paul tha other
Frequent Poster
http://www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:17 pm

I can confirm that they're all coming from our office in Leeds. Our property people buy them by the hundred and they disappear in weeks.
We need some kind of repatriation scheme.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

PreviousNext