You are here

Home Studio vs Professional Studio

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Home Studio vs Professional Studio

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:47 pm

Playing live and studio recording are two distinct disciplines with different objectives and feedback loops. Sure a "song" is a common element, but draw the Venn diagram in your mind as there are a great many important distinctions.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:56 pm

Much as I like twiddling knobs and tweaking waveforms, recording the band as singer, songwriter, equipment provider, engineer, mixer, producer, biscuit provider and all the rest was a pretty stressful experience and the room didn't sound great.
So whilst I'm happy recording my solo stuff at home, if we had the cash I'd definitely prefer to record the band stuff in a proper studio. Somewhere with a big enough live room that we could all be in the same place and properly 'perform' the song.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:00 am

Arpangel wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:I wonder if it's more to do with the performance, new bands are often intimidated and a little reserved in the studio? I know I was when a mate with a decent small pro studio offered to record a demo of my covers band. He did get a decent enough performance out of us but it wasn't as exciting as us playing to an audience.

I think this is terrible actually, if a new band feels intimidated in any recording situation or studio it's not their fault, it's the studio.
It's up to the studio, engineers etc to make them feel as relaxed and creative as possible, if this isn't that case then they're in the wrong place.

No it's not, it's just that inexperienced bands are bound to be tense in a new situation (i.e. the studio). A good studio will certainly do their best to get a good performance but, as Watchmaker says :-.

Watchmaker wrote:Playing live and studio recording are two distinct disciplines with different objectives and feedback loops. Sure a "song" is a common element, but draw the Venn diagram in your mind as there are a great many important distinctions.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:17 am

Sam Spoons wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:I wonder if it's more to do with the performance, new bands are often intimidated and a little reserved in the studio? I know I was when a mate with a decent small pro studio offered to record a demo of my covers band. He did get a decent enough performance out of us but it wasn't as exciting as us playing to an audience.

I think this is terrible actually, if a new band feels intimidated in any recording situation or studio it's not their fault, it's the studio.
It's up to the studio, engineers etc to make them feel as relaxed and creative as possible, if this isn't that case then they're in the wrong place.

No it's not, it's just that inexperienced bands are bound to be tense in a new situation (i.e. the studio). A good studio will certainly do their best to get a good performance but, as Watchmaker says :-.

Watchmaker wrote:Playing live and studio recording are two distinct disciplines with different objectives and feedback loops. Sure a "song" is a common element, but draw the Venn diagram in your mind as there are a great many important distinctions.

I know we're all different, but for me, there is no difference at all, between studio or live performances, I'm still giving a performance, the audience is just different, or just me!
I know there are works that are created in the studio, and the feedback processes are crucial to those things, in that environment, but surely, you must know what you want to a certain extent, as a band, I guess that's why some bands choose certain studios, in preference to others.
I still stand by the traditional commercial studio set up, it's a great leveler, and it gives you the opportunity to get useful feedback, but there is a school of thought that thinks exactly the opposite is true, and critical isolation and home studios can yield far more original results.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:21 am

Arpangel wrote:I think this is terrible actually, if a new band feels intimidated in any recording situation or studio it's not their fault, it's the studio.

I know I'm small fry in this business but a lot of the people I record it's their first time in a studio and they're intimidated before they even ring the doorbell. So a big chunk of the set up is about putting them at their ease and in particular convincing them that mistakes aren't important because they're easy to handle. The more you reduce the fear of mistakes the less mistakes happen and the better the overall recording. This is more about the attitude of the engineer, though, rather than home v. pro studio. The only pro studio I've recorded in the engineer (Doug Bailey of Wild Goose) was very good at this and had a strong influence on the way I try to do things now.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby blinddrew » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:30 am

Yep, I've never recorded someone else in a studio, but I have recorded lots of videos and a few podcasts and getting the guests comfortable is a skill. I'm almost certainly way better at that than I am at recording!
So I'd argue that it's a little bit of everything really. People will be nervous when they arrive, a good engineer will help alleviate that and help get the best out of them. But they'll probably still be nervous, partly about being in a new, alien and expensive environment, and partly just the usual nerves of a performance.

I reckon...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:02 am

blinddrew wrote:Much as I like twiddling knobs and tweaking waveforms, recording the band as singer, songwriter, equipment provider, engineer, mixer, producer, biscuit provider and all the rest was a pretty stressful experience and the room didn't sound great.
So whilst I'm happy recording my solo stuff at home, if we had the cash I'd definitely prefer to record the band stuff in a proper studio. Somewhere with a big enough live room that we could all be in the same place and properly 'perform' the song.

I'd definitely echo this. If a band that I'm playing in wants to record then I want someone else to do the engineering so that I can concentrate on the playing. I've tried doing everything and I find that there's just too much pressure to both perform and get the sound right so the end product is compromised. I'm usually happy to take over the engineering duties once I've finished playing though.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Arpangel » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:55 am

I think the problem can be, with a lot of people, I've come across it quite a bit, is giving technical guidance, to enable "their" ideas, without making someone feel like you're producing, or taking over.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby JackS » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks everyone for the responses, very much appreciated!
JackS

Previous