You are here

Home Studio vs Professional Studio

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Home Studio vs Professional Studio

Postby MOF » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:28 pm

I know we're all different, but for me, there is no difference at all, between studio or live performances, I'm still giving a performance, the audience is just different, or just me!

A mate of mine, who enjoys going to gigs, says that later live performances are often better than the original record because the band have improved on it over time.
Now that could just be the live atmosphere that’s psychologically affecting his judgement or there might be something in it.
It might be worth delaying going into a studio with new tracks so that it’s second nature to play them and hone them first.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:00 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Home Studio vs Professional Studio

Postby CS70 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:40 pm

MOF wrote:
I know we're all different, but for me, there is no difference at all, between studio or live performances, I'm still giving a performance, the audience is just different, or just me!

A mate of mine, who enjoys going to gigs, says that later live performances are often better than the original record because the band have improved on it over time.
Now that could just be the live atmosphere that’s psychologically affecting his judgement or there might be something in it.
It might be worth delaying going into a studio with new tracks so that it’s second nature to play them and hone them first.

You hit a quite complex point. Most of my band's song change very much when played live - some because the original recordings have no drums or bass, others because I've had different melodic guitar parts on the way me and the backing sing it has changed over time, or we have added different harmonies and melodies. So in a way it's a good idea to wait.

In another way, however, it's hard to keep the raw excitement and novelty of the first few times you play a song after making it. With a band, there's that magic moment when, after messing about a fair amount of time, finally everyone "gets" their role and finally the song clicks.. that is imho the absolutely ideal moment to record it, even if if it's not perfect and certainly a performance is more polished after the 100th time you play it.
User avatar
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5277
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: Home Studio vs Professional Studio

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:03 am

On a slightly unrelated yet related note, I beleve Angel studios is closing soon which is a real shame. Maybe a tribute piece is an idea for an SOS article? It has been a great studio.
Guest

Re: Home Studio vs Professional Studio

Postby John Willett » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:48 pm

MOF wrote:A mate of mine, who enjoys going to gigs, says that later live performances are often better than the original record because the band have improved on it over time.
Now that could just be the live atmosphere that’s psychologically affecting his judgement or there might be something in it.
It might be worth delaying going into a studio with new tracks so that it’s second nature to play them and hone them first.

More likely because the band did not give a "performance" in the recording - spending the time on getting it to sound "right" that they missed the most important bit - the performance.

A musician will put his/her heart and soul into performing on stage - they need to do the same in the studio to get a really great recording that the listener will want to hear again and again. :thumbup:
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7089
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Re: Home Studio vs Professional Studio

Postby Arpangel » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:44 am

John Willett wrote:
MOF wrote:A mate of mine, who enjoys going to gigs, says that later live performances are often better than the original record because the band have improved on it over time.
Now that could just be the live atmosphere that’s psychologically affecting his judgement or there might be something in it.
It might be worth delaying going into a studio with new tracks so that it’s second nature to play them and hone them first.

More likely because the band did not give a "performance" in the recording - spending the time on getting it to sound "right" that they missed the most important bit - the performance.

A musician will put his/her heart and soul into performing on stage - they need to do the same in the studio to get a really great recording that the listener will want to hear again and again. :thumbup:

That's interesting, when I'm playing at a gig I'm not really there in my head, I'm sort of going through the motions.
But when I'm in "a studio" or recording at home, I'm right there, emotionally 150%
I think some people have different priorities, recordings, or performance.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3776
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Re: Home Studio vs Professional Studio

Postby CS70 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:14 am

Arpangel wrote:That's interesting, when I'm playing at a gig I'm not really there in my head, I'm sort of going through the motions.
But when I'm in "a studio" or recording at home, I'm right there, emotionally 150%
I think some people have different priorities, recordings, or performance.

Yeah in a way, I like the studio better as well. Live it's always a bit of a compromise, you cannot bring half a dozen guitars and four or five amps to get each song just right (not to mention a truckload of instrumentalists that have collaborated on one song), so you make do with what is sensible or are forced to cut some pieces altogether. There's always that nagging feeling that things are not just entirely right. In a way the most satisfactory songs to play live are the more straightforward ones.

On the other side, it's awesome to play to a crowd who's responding to what you do..
User avatar
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5277
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: Home Studio vs Professional Studio

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:33 am

I find it much harder to give a full on performance in studio or rehearsal room. Live a good audience give you a huge boost.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12209
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Home Studio vs Professional Studio

Postby CS70 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:44 am

Sam Spoons wrote:I find it much harder to give a full on performance in studio or rehearsal room. Live a good audience give you a huge boost.

Yeah I guess most do.

When I'm recording client singers, the thing I have to work the most on is to get them to let go and sing loud and freely without feeling awkward or self conscious.
Singing loud and to your heart's content to a more or less empty room isn't something that comes natural to most of us - I definitely had to learn it.
User avatar
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5277
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: Home Studio vs Professional Studio

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:58 am

Yup, bang on the money CS
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12209
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Home Studio vs Professional Studio

Postby blinddrew » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:29 pm

Yep, it's one of the things i'm looking forward to being able to do once my shed is finished. :)
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10172
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Home Studio vs Professional Studio

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:19 am

CS70 wrote:Singing loud and to your heart's content to a more or less empty room isn't something that comes natural to most of us - I definitely had to learn it.

I'm an expert at it, as most of my gigs are done in more or less empty rooms....

:D
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3776
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Re: Home Studio vs Professional Studio

Postby John Willett » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Arpangel wrote:
CS70 wrote:Singing loud and to your heart's content to a more or less empty room isn't something that comes natural to most of us - I definitely had to learn it.

I'm an expert at it, as most of my gigs are done in more or less empty rooms....

:D

:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7089
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Re: Home Studio vs Professional Studio

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:20 pm

Arpangel wrote:
CS70 wrote:Singing loud and to your heart's content to a more or less empty room isn't something that comes natural to most of us - I definitely had to learn it.

I'm an expert at it, as most of my gigs are done in more or less empty rooms....

Are you sure you're playing in an audi-torium and not a sani-torium Tony? :shock: :crazy: :o


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 15609
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Home Studio vs Professional Studio

Postby John Willett » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:09 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
CS70 wrote:Singing loud and to your heart's content to a more or less empty room isn't something that comes natural to most of us - I definitely had to learn it.

I'm an expert at it, as most of my gigs are done in more or less empty rooms....

Are you sure you're playing in an audi-torium and not a sani-torium Tony? :shock: :crazy: :o


Martin

:bouncy:
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7089
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Re: Home Studio vs Professional Studio

Postby Ma-Music » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:04 am

Professional studio's are great, but I agree that it is easy to get intimated and not use them to the full potential. A lot of that has to do with you may be using gear that you are not familiar with.

It's tough to match the sound quality that many studio's provide (i.e.: sound proof rooms and rooms made specifically for audio recording). But if you can, I think it's best to have a home studio that you can be yourself in, and master your equipment!
Ma-Music
New here
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:56 am
Location: Seattle

PreviousNext