You are here

Home Studio vs Professional Studio

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Home Studio vs Professional Studio

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:46 pm

so jealous!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:28 am

ManFromGlass wrote:so jealous!

But it's a 1980's leather sofa, an outdated TV, and an X Box One, nothing is ever what it seems in our house.

:)
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:13 pm

That sounds like the chill or fun room bigger studios had for their clients. The equivalent of comfort food! Hell, I’d be happy with Pong.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:48 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:That sounds like the chill or fun room bigger studios had for their clients. The equivalent of comfort food! Hell, I’d be happy with Pong.

Comfort food? If I had a studio with a cafe I'd be serving Sheperds Pie on toast, peanut butter and marmalade sandwiches, Marmite and Tuna toasties, Spaghetti Bolognese on toasted hot cross buns, vegetarian options would be cauliflower cheese topped with spring onions and tomatoes, Macaroni cheese with a tomato and blue cheese topping.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:30 pm

Yum. So that covers breakfast. What would we have for lunch? :D
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:50 pm

Arpangel wrote:Spaghetti Bolognese on toasted hot cross buns

All that is holy on Earth crumbles at this sentence!

(yes, I'm italian: and spaghetti alla bolognese on a bun is the moral equivalent of having hobnobs with salami)

:bouncy:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Arpangel » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:29 pm

CS70 wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Spaghetti Bolognese on toasted hot cross buns

All that is holy on Earth crumbles at this sentence!

(yes, I'm italian: and spaghetti alla bolognese on a bun is the moral equivalent of having hobnobs with salami)

:bouncy:

It's lovely, sort of sweet and savoury.
A bit like making a curry sandwich out of a peshwari nan.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:12 pm

Hob Nobs with salami? You might be on to something .... erm......well.... I guess it depends on milk or dark chocolate.
:crazy:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:23 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Hob Nobs with salami? You might be on to something .... erm......well.... I guess it depends on milk or dark chocolate.

"Erm" is exactly the feeling that any Italian would get at the mere idea of spaghetti on a bun :bouncy:
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:15 pm

CS70 wrote:
ManFromGlass wrote:Hob Nobs with salami? You might be on to something .... erm......well.... I guess it depends on milk or dark chocolate.

"Erm" is exactly the feeling that any Italian would get at the mere idea of spaghetti on a bun :bouncy:

Italians, of course, put the bun on the spaghetti.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:57 am

No matter what food culture we're talking about anglicised versions that are "customised" to local tastes are always much better to me, but I take them one step further.
I've had some truly awful pasta and pizza in Italy, just like we get terrible fish and chips and awful roast dinners here. It's really difficult, unless you are a local to know where to go in the first place, but even then, what the locals like may be almost inedible to me.
I'd love to open a restaurant, my partner and I love cooking and we both have our specialities.
It always makes me really sad when I have a bad experience in a restaurant simply because you know that the owners are really taking the piss. It's not difficult to create great food, the formula is very simple, good basic simple recipes made with the freshest ingredients of the best quality you can get, but most of all, a short menu of a handful of dishes that you know you can cook well, no compromises.
I think some of my "eccentric" dishes would go down really well, I've done a bit of market research, and some people have told me that they've already tried my recipes and they aren't as rare as I think they are.
I'd like to offer good fresh no nonsense cafe food, served all day, at reasonable prices, it is possible and there is a terrible holen in the market, but it's extremely hard work, and we're both getting too old to stand in a kitchen and work 24/7.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:20 pm

Arpangel wrote:I've had some truly awful pasta and pizza in Italy

No surprise. Idiots are not the preserve of any given nationality, alas.

Jokes aside, it's just fine. Heck, I even almost miss the Norwegian "coffee" when I am in Milan. :D

As restaurants, my ideal would be a place on the beach, fresh food and cocktail parties at night. Live music.

And yeah running a (good) restaurant profitably it's extremely tough, way more than any music business. Not something I would contemplate doing lightly at all.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:30 pm

CS70 wrote:And yeah running a (good) restaurant profitably it's extremely tough, way more than any music business. Not something I would contemplate doing lightly at all.

You are 150% correct.
But that doesn't seem to stop people opening restaurants left right and centre, because they think they'll make a quick buck, six months later they're gone, boarded up, done a runner.
These places are probably started by gangsters, who know nothing about food or running a restaurant, they do it because they've seen a few others do it and are jumping on the band wagon.
These business "trends" happen all over, I can remember when recording studios were seen in this way.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:32 pm

Arpangel wrote:But that doesn't seem to stop people opening restaurants left right and centre, because they think they'll make a quick buck, six months later they're gone, boarded up, done a runner.
These places are probably started by gangsters, who know nothing about food or running a restaurant, they do it because they've seen a few others do it and are jumping on the band wagon.

Wasn't somebody saying "never attribute to malice..." :)
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:37 pm

CS70 wrote:
Arpangel wrote:But that doesn't seem to stop people opening restaurants left right and centre, because they think they'll make a quick buck, six months later they're gone, boarded up, done a runner.

Wasn't somebody saying "never attribute to malice..." :)

Yes! Maybe they didn't think it through......but if you're an entrepreneur with enough money to start a restaurant, then surely you'd have some sort of business acumen to start with, and it always makes me laugh when a street is full of chip shops, and another one opens next door! What????.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:10 pm

Over here it’s coffee shops. When Starbuks was branching into Canada they made a point of opening across the street from every Second Cup. Now you’ll find the independent-self-roasted hipster, I mean, snowflake, cafes. (I’m told they latest generation is called snowflakes because they are soooo precious)
Even though the markup on coffee is large, they couldn’t make a good cup if they tried. One of the Starbuks employees told me they slightly burn their coffee so that those who order the frilly coffee concoctions can still taste coffee flavour in with the dairy and chemical ingredients.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:32 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Over here it’s coffee shops. When Starbuks was branching into Canada they made a point of opening across the street from every Second Cup. Now you’ll find the independent-self-roasted hipster, I mean, snowflake, cafes. (I’m told they latest generation is called snowflakes because they are soooo precious)
Even though the markup on coffee is large, they couldn’t make a good cup if they tried. One of the Starbuks employees told me they slightly burn their coffee so that those who order the frilly coffee concoctions can still taste coffee flavour in with the dairy and chemical ingredients.

Again, like food, it's amazing how people can get coffee so wrong, it's not exactly rocket science to make a good cup of coffee!
Mic preamps, coffee, food, it's always the same, corner cutting, make it down to a price, not up to a standard.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:20 pm

I've just moved out of a town with a population of around 8000 people. The centre of the town is pretty small but it still boasts something like 15 places where you can buy coffee.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:18 pm

James Perrett wrote:I've just moved out of a town with a population of around 8000 people. The centre of the town is pretty small but it still boasts something like 15 places where you can buy coffee.

And they act like coffee is the saviour of the universe too, it's only a cup of coffee for gods sake!
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:54 pm

You didn’t know? There are four elephants keeping the universe up! They sleep in pairs and the two who are awake require incredible quantities of coffee to stay awake!

The moment there’s no coffee, the universe will be doomed. :bouncy:
CS70
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext