You are here

What alternatives to Audient iD14 (decent preamps) with MIDI do you know?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

What alternatives to Audient iD14 (decent preamps) with MIDI do you know?

Postby garrywindshield » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:11 pm

So, I've finally chosen a microphone (Shure KSM32) and an interface, but I it doesn't have a MIDI input (I'm playing piano).

Do you know any other interfaces in this price range that have preamps of the same quality?
If not, what can I do to have Audient iD14 and my MIDI working? Using it through USB directly causes too much latency and my vocal booth is 5-7 meters away from my PC so it's not recommended.

I'd be very thankful for any thoughts.
garrywindshield
New here

Re: What alternatives to Audient iD14 (decent preamps) with MIDI do you know?

Postby James Perrett » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:46 pm

The mic preamps on the Audient are extremely good and I'd suggest keeping the iD14 and adding a USB MIDI interface. This will be exactly the same as using a combined audio/MIDI interface as the audio and MIDI side of things are kept fairly separate with separate drivers.

I've used an M-Audio 2x2 and a MOTU 2x2 MIDI interface equally successfully in conjunction with audio only interfaces. Both were bought secondhand from Ebay and used with 5m long USB cables.

Latency is usually down to the buffer settings on your audio interface driver but you should also make sure that you aren't using any processor hungry effects while recording as your recording software may increase the latency to handle the effects.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: What alternatives to Audient iD14 (decent preamps) with MIDI do you know?

Postby garrywindshield » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:49 pm

Thank you very much, James.

I also had this idea, but was unsure if it's a good option or will it all work that way.
Now I see many benefits to this decision.

So, I'll let my MIDI wait for a while.
garrywindshield
New here