You are here

It's a minefield ! - New MAC question ???

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

It's a minefield ! - New MAC question ???

Postby Matthew Seed » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:45 pm

Hi guys

I am running Logic Pro and using mainly UAD plugins.

I have a very old imac and i am looking to upgrade to something that doesn't run soooooo slow !!

My first thought was a Mac Pro as I have two large monitors already. But those new Mac pros are quite pricey.

Ive never owned a Mac Mini, what is the score with them, are they a good bet ?

If i was to go for a Mac Mini whats the most important spec to get right. Is it RAM, the Processor, the cores etc etc. I am not that techy when it comes too computers I'm not sure which would benefit me the most.

My plan would be to still use UAD for 90% of my plugins.
I will run 2 large monitors from it if thats possible ?
I do use Vienna Symphony so have some massive library files for this, that i guess I could host on an external drive?

Thank you for any advice.
Matthew
Matthew Seed
Regular

Re: It's a minefield ! - New MAC question ???

Postby IAA » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:55 pm

I’m not sure I’m the best to advise on the hardware options, I run a 2015 i7 Mac and it’s plenty powerful. I would say though, Catalina and the latest logic are not yet, it seems, perfect partners :headbang: so I’d factor that into your equation.

It’s crazy that the hardware, OS and software developer hasn’t quite demonstrated the added advantage that ought to be....on this release anyway. I’m staying on Mojave and 10.4.4 till I have to try the white water that updates seem to present. I’m sure it never used to be like this, back in the day.... :roll:
IAA
Regular

Postby G-Doubleyou » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:17 pm

I have 6-core 3.2 GHz i7 Mini, you can upgrade the RAM later, get the largest SSD you can afford ( I got the 512Gb, 16 GB RAM )

You may need an eGPU to run two monitors successfully, reports are that some high resolutions, and dual monitors use the internal RAM.

So far mine easily handles the load of quad i7 Mini, no sweat.

I've only head the fans when running benchmark tests.

:thumbup:
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster
G-Dub Studio G-fx 2011 15inch 2.0GHz quad-core i7 Macbook Pro, LPX 10.3.2
2.3 GHz quad-core i7 Mini

Postby Matthew Seed » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:26 pm

Thanks guys for your input.

G-Doubleyou You say get the biggest SSD i can afford, why is that ? Is it better to have an internal SSD than run a separate hard drive on thunderbolt for all storage etc.

You have a 6 core 3.2GHZ. I notice there is a 4 core version to with a higher GHZ.

what difference does the Cores and the GHZ of the processor ? What do each of them relate to please ?

Thanks
Matthew
Matthew Seed
Regular

Postby MOF » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:30 am

I bought an iMac (standard) just before the Pro version came out, I have 32GB of RAM and 6 i7 processors and 1/2 TB SSD plus the UAD Apollo duo and an 8 core satellite. I have an entry level VSL orchestral package and run quite a few modelled and sample instruments.
I’ve not had any problems at all, I upgraded from a 2009 iMac for the same reason as you.
It was a build to order and was delayed because of shortages (it was a new model in 2018@) of 1TB SSDs, with hindsight I wish they’d asked me if I’d prefer the larger size.
I use USB 3 drives for storage and samples and the SSD for system and active projects. I might put the samples on an external 2TB SSD at some point, just to get rid of the remaining (quiet) platter noise. If you get more internal space that might be better but it does hike the cost up quite a bit, ditto with RAM, it looks like there’s a removable plate to add your own RAM. RAM is the important thing to keep speed up I would say, more than CPU.
If your monitors are Thunderbolt types then you should be able to use them or if not get an active hub with the relevant connectors.
MOF
Regular

Postby John Willett » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:26 pm

IAA wrote: I’m staying on Mojave and 10.4.4

Mojave is 10.14 and the latest Mojave is 10.14.6 :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:12 am

I think the 10.4.4 is a reference to Logic Pro.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby MOF » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:36 am

I have 32GB of RAM and 6 i7 processors
I should have said 8 cores of i7 processors. I’m still on High Sierra OS.
MOF
Regular

Postby IAA » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:58 am

I think the 10.4.4 is a reference to Logic Pro.

It was, Logic is a little bit hit and miss above 10.4.4 I’ve found. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250871822 etc etc
IAA
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:36 am

I'm on 10.4.7 and have had no issues personally, not that that means all that much but 10.4.4 contained a serious bug affecting polywav files (it wouldn't read them properly) so if your interests lie in that direction (e.g. ambisonics) then you'll need to move to 10.4.5 at least.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby G-Doubleyou » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:13 pm

Matthew Seed wrote:Thanks guys for your input.

G-Doubleyou You say get the biggest SSD i can afford, why is that ? Is it better to have an internal SSD than run a separate hard drive on thunderbolt for all storage etc.

You have a 6 core 3.2GHZ. I notice there is a 4 core version to with a higher GHZ.

what difference does the Cores and the GHZ of the processor ? What do each of them relate to please ?

Thanks
Matthew

SSD will depend on the amount of apps, sample libraries, files you have on your system drive.

For me I've always had 1TB system drives, so I had make adjustments dealing with 512GB.

More work done per cycle, more headroom.

Performance may be close with newer CPUs check the Geekbench benchmarks for more details.

https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks

When using Logic you will have six virtual cores. Logic will display 12 cores.
Logic is optimized for multiple cores.

Also note that an i7 will be stronger than an i5.

:thumbup:
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster
G-Dub Studio G-fx 2011 15inch 2.0GHz quad-core i7 Macbook Pro, LPX 10.3.2
2.3 GHz quad-core i7 Mini

Postby paul tha other » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:36 pm

i mightve been dreaming but im sure i read that the new mac mini's can be joined together in some way..ie 4 mac mini's joined together so it can share the resources across the 4 computers ...so if each mac has 2 core processors you would have a 8 core thing..
paul tha other
Frequent Poster
http://www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop