You are here

Troubleshooting Noise/Interference

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Troubleshooting Noise/Interference

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:01 pm

ef37a wrote:You could also throw a Martindale socket tester into the mix, whole lot should set you back no more than 30quid.

The standard tester is a life saver, for sure, but I prefer this slightly more expensive version as it gives a really useful indication of the actual safety ground impedance, rather than just whether or not there's a connection.

https://cpc.farnell.com/martindale-electric/ez150/earth-loop-socket-tester-no-trip/dp/IN04254?st=mains%20socket%20tester

Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby cyrano.mac » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:36 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I can assure you that I take mains safety extremely seriously -- both personally and in my role as Technical Editor of SOS -- and I certainly wouldn't suggest any practice that represented any potential risk. Bonding the audio reference ground of a double-insulated device to mains earth carries no risk whatsoever with normal working equipment, and nor does increase risks or affect the functionality of any conventional safety devices under fault conditions.

Well, then the question is simple, isn't it?

Is there a direct connection in that ground plug device?
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:43 pm

Already answered.

A direct connection to earth in a class II device for functional purposes -- as in the case being discussed earlier -- is permitted in IEC 61140. The relevant paragraph is here:

7.3.2.2 Class II EQUIPMENT may be provided with means for connection to EARTH for functional (as distinct from protective) purposes only where such a need is recognized in the relevant IECstandard. Such means shall be insulated from live parts by DOUBLE or REINFORCED INSULATION.

http://80.229.80.165/tech_info/standards_conformance/standard_pdfs/BSEN61140_protection%20against%20shock.pdf
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous