You are here

Can you take flight case on a plane? as checked-in bag

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Can you take flight case on a plane? as checked-in bag

Postby rokyronnie » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:18 am

Hi guys,

So, my question is: can you take a flight case (containing a keyboard stand, midi controllers, some cables and other small devices) that falls within maximum kg limit (32kg in my case) and size, with low cost company? (I'm talking about wizz-air)

They say that I can take a check-in bag, (up to 32kg) that is actually even bigger in size than my actual case, with the ticket, without any extra cost, so that would be amazing.

Problem is, that I'm not sure if a check-in bag it's the same thing for them with a flight case (even though it falls within the maximum weight and size) or they will have something to say about it.

Hope somebody can help me.
rokyronnie
Regular

Re: Can you take flight case on a plane? as checked-in bag

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:56 am

In my experience most airlines will allow you to take so called 'oversize' luggage if you arrange it in advance but frankly I would be wary of putting a flightcase with equipment in the hold as it's likely to get treated roughly.

Ideally I'd pay for an extra seat for it and take it with you in the cabin but given the nature of a flightcase they may not allow that for safety reasons. I would contact the airline and talk to them to find out what options you have.

In any event, if you do fly it, make sure you get insurance.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby John Willett » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:01 pm

rokyronnie wrote:Hi guys,

So, my question is: can you take a flight case (containing a keyboard stand, midi controllers, some cables and other small devices) that falls within maximum kg limit (32kg in my case) and size, with low cost company? (I'm talking about wizz-air)

They say that I can take a check-in bag, (up to 32kg) that is actually even bigger in size than my actual case, with the ticket, without any extra cost, so that would be amazing.

Problem is, that I'm not sure if a check-in bag it's the same thing for them with a flight case (even though it falls within the maximum weight and size) or they will have something to say about it.

Hope somebody can help me.

If the case is within the size and weight limit, I don't see a problem.

No airline states what sort of bag it is and a cardbox box is acceptable as hold luggage.

I would just make sure it is well secured and properly insured.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby rokyronnie » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:03 pm

The flight case is really strong and all the things that are inside are safe in position, so nothing is moving anywhere.

But I will try to call and ask them about this situation.
rokyronnie
Regular

Postby recordplay » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:44 pm

Each airline is different (Check their terms and conditions) but for example for a flight case bigger than carry on luggage size - I took a 12U modular system on both ryan air and easyjet - Booked a seat for them (it was called mr modular synthesiser and used my passport number)

I wouldn't recommend the hold, it was much better having my equipment next to me. Although it was a ball ache getting through security both times but I got there any the end and all went ok. If you do go for the hold you will have to pay any excess usually over around 20-25KG

Just go in with the view that a cellist might need to do the same but apply your situation with that solution in mind
recordplay
Regular
Pinkpenny Records | Twitter