You are here

Why is this?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Why is this?

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 am

Why is it not possible to insert a USB plug into its socket the right way up, at least half of the time, in the dark, or restricted view, according to statistics?
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: Why is this?

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:28 am

For the same reason toast falls butter side down
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:52 am

Because they exist in 4 dimensional space: https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2011-10-04
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:32 am

When I'm trying to plug in any cable that's in an awkward, difficult situation I ask myself one question: which way does the cable naturally make the plug want to settle, and which would be the simplest, easiest way for it to fit? And it's always exactly the opposite.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:45 am

This law also applies to HDMI cables.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby John Willett » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:51 am

Howdy Doody Time wrote:Why is it not possible to insert a USB plug into its socket the right way up, at least half of the time, in the dark, or restricted view, according to statistics?

Murphy's Law :mrgreen:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:37 am

The Elf wrote:When I'm trying to plug in any cable that's in an awkward, difficult situation I ask myself one question: which way does the cable naturally make the plug want to settle, and which would be the simplest, easiest way for it to fit? And it's always exactly the opposite.

Exactly - this is ALWAYS the case :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby BJG145 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:56 am

Howdy Doody Time wrote:Why is it not possible to insert a USB plug into its socket the right way up, at least half of the time, in the dark, or restricted view, according to statistics?

It's the worst connector ever invented. Whoever is responsible ought to have it inserted in the dark the wrong way up into themselves.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:10 pm

SCART leads have to be the worst.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:51 pm

Arpangel wrote:SCART leads have to be the worst.

Yes! Now, for the USB problem: We, son and I, had two desktop PCs side by side on a plinth some 100mm off the floor and of course the ports were at the back. I bought some 0.5mtr extension cables and using adhesive pads and cable ties ran two of the extensions along the top of the case to the front thus allowing AIs and sticks to be easily used.

I have done the same with my living room computer. The USB 3.0 port comes up on a 200mm 3.0 extension and the USB 2.0 on a powered hub. The front ports are USB 1.1 (yes! V old PC)

But, I now only have one PC in the 'studio' and so I have turned it around so that it is parallel to the wall and I can acess front and back with ease (saw this setup at my hospital)

Love 'em or hate 'em at least you canot get USBs in the wrong way! That caused some blue air for the Fussy wire peeps!

Just like to add..IMHO folks do not think/make use of 'sacrificial' cables on their gear nearly as much as they should.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:22 pm

BJG145 wrote:

It's the worst connector ever invented. Whoever is responsible ought to have it inserted in the dark the wrong way up into themselves.

Its easy, just follow the instructions .....

N i g e l
Regular

Postby CS70 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:46 pm

Nigel has it spot on, it's a quantum thing.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby John Willett » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:44 pm

Just move over to USB-C - no wrong way. :thumbup: :bouncy:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby pa28 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:51 pm

Watchmaker wrote:For the same reason toast falls butter side down

Just buttered on wrong side.
pa28
Regular
Capitalisation is the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse  & helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:36 am

The Elf wrote:which way does the cable naturally make the plug want to settle, and which would be the simplest, easiest way for it to fit? And it's always exactly the opposite.

Ward's Law! It's always exciting to be present at the discovery of a new natural law.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Folderol » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:18 am

The only time I have a problem is when some idiot manufacturer mounts the sockets upside down (or sideways) in the computer. However, I do cheat. I look at the end of the lead before plugging it in :lol:
As for USB C, no thanks. it's far too fragile for the real world.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby ef37a » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:27 am

Folderol wrote:The only time I have a problem is when some idiot manufacturer mounts the sockets upside down (or sideways) in the computer. However, I do cheat. I look at the end of the lead before plugging it in :lol:
As for USB C, no thanks. it's far too fragile for the real world.

The only thing I have USB C 24 pin on is my not-ever-so smart Sony phone and that seems quite robust. Far tougher than micro USB that is increasingly used, even on kit that is easily big enough to take a type B such as amps and snyths.

And, WHY did we need that wide. flat thing with a kink in it? I have them on two external drives. ANOTHER bloody cable to find!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby PKRain » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:50 am

Center yourself. You must think like the plug, be as one with the cable.
PKRain
New here

Postby wireman » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:01 pm

I can't decide between SCART and the AUI connector (with the locking catch that never worked reliably) as the most annoying.
wireman
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:11 pm

wireman wrote:I can't decide between SCART and the AUI connector (with the locking catch that never worked reliably) as the most annoying.

To be slightly fairer to the SCART connector it was never intended for constant pluggerating and was made very cheaply for a consumer market.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster