You are here

Soniflex RB-ADDA - Alternatives?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Soniflex RB-ADDA - Alternatives?

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:34 am

Are there any alternatives to this unit, and by alternative I mean more "cost effective"...?

My Apollo has SPDIF in/outs, my RME has AES in/outs, the Soniflex is able to handle both, but to get an extra 2 ins/outs per unit I'd have to buy 2 of these Soniflex units; not cheap.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Re: Soniflex RB-ADDA - Alternatives?

Postby James Perrett » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:05 am

TheChorltonWheelie wrote:Are there any alternatives to this unit, and by alternative I mean more "cost effective"...?

It seems to be an area of the market that most manufacturers ignore. Probably the best solution is going to be an audio interface that can work in stand-alone mode. I was going to suggest the Zoom U44 but it appears that you can only use it in one direction (either A-D or D-A) in stand alone mode unless you are happy to have the analogue and digital signals combined. The U44 and the RB-ADDA weren't vastly different in sound quality when I compared them - although it was a fairly quick comparison just to check that things were working properly.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:08 am

James Perrett wrote:Probably the best solution is going to be an audio interface that can work in stand-alone mode.

I wanted to avoid "another" interface, the current setup has the Apollo and the RME in use at the same time and so ideally I wanted a "passive" device that you turn on and leave. I know some interfaces can do that, the RME for example, but in the back of mind it's just another driver/console I'll have to load and learn to use when I'm under the kosh.

I might just have to bite the bullet on the Soniflex......
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:43 am

It's bizarre, but there just aren't many stereo A-D and D-A converters in one box, and of those that do exist, they are nearly all 'mastering grade' and stupidly expensive!

I honestly don't think you'll find anything suitable for much less than the cost of the Sonifex, frustrating though that is! The only realistic alternative that springs to mind is the RME ADI-2FS, but it costs much the same.

https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2.html
H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound