You are here

Anechoic Chamber Tests

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Anechoic Chamber Tests

Postby recordplay » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:28 pm

HI All,

I have an opportunity to visit an Anechoic chamber :)
Other than the experience I would like to run some tests.
What to actually test though? Interests are modular synthesis, sound design, electronic music production. I will have some kit with me 6U modular synth, portable recording gear
recordplay
Regular
Pinkpenny Records | Twitter

Re: Anechoic Chamber Tests

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:27 pm

The whole point of an anechoic chamber is to remove the sound of the room, so I would explore sounds where it's normally difficult to do just that.

Modular synths are inherently 'dry' sounds, so I suspect there's little mileage there, so I'd be thinking about recording acoustic instruments of some description.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:18 pm

On the one and only time I had the opportunity to visit an anechoic chamber I found it a bit of a strange experience and very disorientating, though very interesting.

Also, turns out we all have a little biological orchestra in our bodies, creaking, thumping, squeaking, clicking and gurgling away all the time and in my case my ears got introduced to that bigtime Image
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby blinddrew » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:27 pm

I'd be thinking about the sound design side of things and stuff that you don't normally get to hear completely dry. Or even capture some stuff completely dry that you'd not normally get the chance to do like that. Shouts, loud claps, chest thumps maybe? Stuff that you could either go to town on with some artificial reverb or drop into something virtually dry for some scary impact.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:36 pm

^ Exactly that. A proper full Anechoic chamber is a very weird place to be, and it really is quite unnerving. I know of people who have completely freaked out after a very short duration in one! And hearing all those bodily noises that normally go unnoticed doesn't help! You'll come out thinking you have advanced arthritis and furred up arteries... although if you're my age you probably will have anyway... :think:

But Martin is right. It's entirely pointless recording a modular in there... You'll get the same result recording the dry output directly!

On the other hand, recording voices or acoustic instruments is extremely informative and revealing because you only hear the sound radiated directly towards the ears (or mic), and none of the other stuff which radiates in other directions and bounces of the walls. It's particularly noticeable with stringed instruments like violins or 'cellos, but also wind and brass instruments. It's amazing how much of the typical character of instrumental sound relies so strongly on reflections from the floor and other boundaries!

And for voices, listening to someone talk in an anechoic chamber with their back to you is very disconcerting! Chest-wall vibrations only... not very understandable!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby CS70 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:26 pm

recordplay wrote:HI All,

I have an opportunity to visit an Anechoic chamber :)
Other than the experience I would like to run some tests.
What to actually test though?

Bring your worst microphone, record a vocal line and marvel on how good it actually sounds! :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page