You are here

Tapping In

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Tapping In

Postby LieIng Down » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:23 pm

Tapping, with tap tempo was something I've started doing recently and was wondering if others make use of it?

It seems to help me get down the beat I'm thinking through down on the tempo, before then tapping out a beat on say drumpads on a DSI Tempest for example.

Before I'd be struggling, at times with 'hmmm, that's not quite right' a lot of the time though tapping through with tap tempo makes a difference.

I was wondering if too much computer music is too much restricted by approximations of guesses and estimations of tempo?

Along with do recording engineers, have a play through of a song with a couple of the band and then estimate a tempo to record though at?

Unless my ears are just getting old, and all music now just does sound the same.
LieIng Down

Re: Tapping In

Postby CS70 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:40 pm

Totally agree. I find the lack of obviously facility to input (rather than program) a certain tempo a real pain in the bottom when composing stuff assisted by a DAW.

It's always possible in some way, but the lack of immediacy is disturbing.

I found a personal solution when I discovered that EZ drummer has a "tap" feature and can have the tempo disconnected from the DAW also in plugin mode.. I would not ever have guessed that 110.32 BPM otherwise :D

For rhythm and beats, a trick is to record them anywhere (tapping, using a drum stick or even making beatbox style noises), bring them in the DAW and use the DAW quantization and facilities to find the tempo (and as a bonus, you can even use the peaks to trigger some sampled drums).
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:01 pm

This is yet another thing I like about Reaper - if you move your mouse over its current 'BPM' readout this changes to 'Tap', whereupon you can just start mouse-tapping to enter a real-world tempo.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:00 pm

Will Reaper allow you to average out the tempo over a couple of bars? My delay pedals seem to respond to the last two taps only.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:18 pm

As far as I can see Reaper averages the last two taps just like your pedals, but at least you can still keep tapping until you're happy that the latest average is the best one.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Bunk » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:22 pm

Reaper's "Tap Tempo" is very useful although if I'm going to be recording "real" guitars and vox I'd have a good few practice runs first just to see if it feels right. But as Sam has mentioned, Reaper does seem to base it on an average of the last few taps, as opposed to a couple of bars. If you suddenly and noticeably change the tap tempo it changes immediately.

edit, Martin got there just before me!
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:34 pm

Yeah, I thought so, my tapping can sometimes be a little wayward :blush:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:52 pm

What I tend to do in Reaper is to continue tapping until the BPM readout hasn't changed in a bit.

Tap Tempo may not be averaging during this entire period, but if the most recent couple of taps are identical to the previous ones then you've got a pretty even rendition anyway :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby LieIng Down » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:56 pm

Come to think of it, I think the readout on my drum machines tap tempo is only from the most recent tap ins; yet it seems to reflect more what I mean rather than making educated guesses.

Just not happy with computers only, telling us our tempo where decimal places matter.
LieIng Down