You are here

Future proofing a potential new DAW PC. Is it crazy to want the option to expand to 128Gb?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Future proofing a potential new DAW PC. Is it crazy to want the option to expand to 128Gb?

Postby AlasdairEaston » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:20 pm

I'm still trying to make my choices about a new PC. I'm tormented by the following: should I buy a PC that can only ever take 64Gb or should I really be getting one that could expand to 128Gb?

I'm the sort of guy who wants to buy once, buy right, then forget about the whole thing and just get on. No wondering, no checking latest specs every couple of months to see what upgrade paths I might have, etc. I'd be hoping this PC would last me 7 to 10 years. I'm fine, however, with adding RAM and drives space as I go.

To buy myself the option for future expansion to 128Gb costs quite a bit more though. I'm having trouble deciding if I'd ever need that much RAM. Is it crazy? I know there's no one answer really, but I'm interested in what have others found if they've been through a similar situation.

For info, I'm doing recording of live instruments with the usual copious plug-ins, soft synths and a wide variety of virtual instruments, from banjos, drums, horn sections, through to full orchestra (probably Spitfire BBC Symphony Orchestra). On the orchestral side I don't ever see myself doing massive orchestral works, but I do want the the ability to simply load up all the sections to write and record without halting my workflow. I find if I have to stop and use some techie work-around before proceeding then the musical ideas just evaporate (I know, I could really do with upgrading my own brain's memory first).

I'd be speccing the machine with 32Gb initially.

This is all mostly aimed at doing production/library music as a (most often) one-man band.

So, have I just spent too long reading the VI-Control forum and their stories of monstrous orchestral templates? Is wanting the option to go to 128Gb just for the very top of the top end?

Conversely, I can't help reflecting that the history of computing kinda suggests to get the biggest one you can get. Cos some years down the line it'll start to look a bit puny.

Has any kind soul got some experience or wisdom to share?

Cheers,
Ali.
AlasdairEaston
Poster

Re: Future proofing a potential new DAW PC. Is it crazy to want the option to expand to 128Gb?

Postby AlasdairEaston » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:22 pm

By the way, I stuck this in the "Recording: Gear and Techniques" section because I didn't want to limit the discussion to either the PC or the Mac sections. Mod's if you think it would sit better somewhere else then feel free to move it.

Cheers,
Ali.
AlasdairEaston
Poster

Re: Future proofing a potential new DAW PC. Is it crazy to want the option to expand to 128Gb?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:40 pm

How long do you expect to be able to use the computer, and how much bigger is your requirement likely to grow between now and then? Say 5-10 years at most?

I would have thought for most people, the computer is likely to become outdated long before a 64GB memory capacity is deemed insufficient... especially with the ubiquitous use of SSD drives these days which reduces the necessity for very large onboard memory caches.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby MOF » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:22 pm

Unless you’re doing 4k or higher video editing then 32GB of RAM is plenty.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:08 pm

It makes little sense imho. A computer is the result of its parts, and by the time you need 128Gb to do stuff. the rest of the hardware will likely be obsolete.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page