You are here

Overdrive unit/pedal for warming digital synths?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Overdrive unit/pedal for warming digital synths?

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:36 pm

Arpangel wrote:I'm not after a "hovering on the edge" type of sound, just a "nice" valve processor, it's getting that balance, or getting something with a fine degree of control, I just want my Micron to sound like an Oberhiem through a Fender Dual Showman, come on chaps, is that really too much to ask?

:D

Sorry to press the point but, the Dual can go from as clean as a triode ever gets and at neg 10 that is pretty bloody hi fi! To total mayhem in 3 stages and with excellent control.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:45 am

Just spotted this YouTube video that may be of interest:

Does a TUBE PREAMP add warmth to your SYNTH?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joNM5No1Ef8

Jump to 13:03 to hear the A/B (ish) comparisons.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:53 am

Oh, and I just remembered that I wrote this for SOS yonks ago - it might just contain something relevant to your desires Tony ;)

Warmer Sounds From Digital Synths

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... tal-synths

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby BillB » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:19 am

That’s a great article, Martin, just what Arpangel needed. You forgot to mention wooden end cheeks and unnecessary brass fittings, which is surprising for you, but apart from that it was perfect.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:19 am

Martin Walker wrote:Oh, and I just remembered that I wrote this for SOS yonks ago - it might just contain something relevant to your desires Tony ;)

Warmer Sounds From Digital Synths

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... tal-synths

Martin

Thanks Martin, that article jogged my memory about certain techniques, I used to use the PSP Vintage Warmer on a lot of my previous CD's, along with a plug-in called Wow and Flutter, that was on my old XP machine, which I no longer have, I really would like the PSP back again, it's a really great plug-in, and I think it could help me with this problem.
Listening back to a few tracks with PSP on them, they really do sound very nice, not OTT, just nice.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:37 am

Just noticed the ART TPS 11, any opinions on this?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:19 pm

BillB wrote:That’s a great article, Martin, just what Arpangel needed. You forgot to mention wooden end cheeks and unnecessary brass fittings, which is surprising for you, but apart from that it was perfect.

Ah, but this feature had to pass stringent SOS author guidelines, so I'm afraid the polished wood and brass had to go on this occasion :(

A great shame, since as we all know such trappings provide a noticeably warmer sound :ugeek:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:25 pm

Arpangel wrote:Just noticed the ART TPS 11, any opinions on this?

I'm interested to see if anyone has tried one as well. I suspect some people may be suspicious of such products, but to me it looks like stunning value if you want a hardware colouring box with loads of options. The 'hand selected 12AX7A tube' augurs well too! ;)

Who knows, it might just do the job you're after!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:53 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Just noticed the ART TPS 11, any opinions on this?

I'm interested to see if anyone has tried one as well. I suspect some people may be suspicious of such products, but to me it looks like stunning value if you want a hardware colouring box with loads of options. The 'hand selected 12AX7A tube' augurs well too! ;)

Who knows, it might just do the job you're after!

Martin

Yes Martin, looks cool, and if it doesn't do the job, I'll have a nice blue illuminated box to light up my table! My partner has spent more on fairy lights this year!

:D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:17 am

Martin Walker wrote:The 'hand selected 12AX7A tube' augurs well too! ;)

Sounds like another marketing phrase which just means that the valve is picked up by someone by hand from a box of the things, and manually inserted into the socket. I'm sure they'd be too delicate to be machine inserted.

If they said 'each valve is individually tested before fitting to ensure it falls within our chosen range of operating parameters', then I'd be more impressed.

Yes, I'm a cynic, but not as much of one as a marketing person is.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Chimera » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:49 am

If you are looking to get an Oberheim feel then I would recommend the Analog Heat.

Turn both tone controls up and dial in a high resonance on the LPF. Tweak the frequency knob down a little until the sizzle comes in. With this my Prophet 08 sounds frighteningly similar to my OB6.
Chimera
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:52 am

Wonks wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:The 'hand selected 12AX7A tube' augurs well too! ;)

Sounds like another marketing phrase which just means that the valve is picked up by someone by hand from a box of the things, and manually inserted into the socket. I'm sure they'd be too delicate to be machine inserted.

If they said 'each valve is individually tested before fitting to ensure it falls within our chosen range of operating parameters', then I'd be more impressed.

Yes, I'm a cynic, but not as much of one as a marketing person is.

Yes, I'm thinking it's just a couple of valves tacked on to the outputs, but I always find paying fortunes for distortion is a bit of a conn, I wonder what this ART would sound like alongside a Culture Vulture, with varying sources, probably not much different, or a bog standard Boss overdrive pedal.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:11 am

The ART looks a similar device to the dbx386. For that money it has to be worth a chance.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:37 am

The Elf wrote:The ART looks a similar device to the dbx386. For that money it has to be worth a chance.

You may be right, but I find that valve gear is either one of two things these days, OTT distortion, or it's so clean it may as well be solid state.
I grew up with valve equipment, and listened to my records as a youngster on valve stuff, valves have nothing to do with obvious "distortion" as such, exactly the opposite, I used to love the naturalness, open quality, and general all round realism of valves, it's difficult to describe. But it's why people still pay fortunes for the valve sound, but it was normal to us, solid state gear sounded awful to me when we got it.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:00 am

The reason why people spend a lot of money on valve-based equipment has more to do with 'Wizard's First Rule', IMHO, but I do like the subtle degradation that the right valves in the right device can impart on certain sounds.

If you get the ART then let us know about it!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:32 am

The Elf wrote:The reason why people spend a lot of money on valve-based equipment has more to do with 'Wizard's First Rule', IMHO, but I do like the subtle degradation that the right valves in the right device can impart on certain sounds.

If you get the ART then let us know about it!

Elf, I'll order one now, and report back.

PS
just been looking at the Black Star HT Dual, gets a lot of good reviews, looks like its got good clean tones too.
Can't seem to find that much about the ART though.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:21 pm

Chimera wrote:If you are looking to get an Oberheim feel then I would recommend the Analog Heat.

Turn both tone controls up and dial in a high resonance on the LPF. Tweak the frequency knob down a little until the sizzle comes in. With this my Prophet 08 sounds frighteningly similar to my OB6.

Just tracked down the SOS review of that: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/el ... nalog-heat

It does sound good, but street price seems to be around the £500 mark, so it would probably be a more considered purchase than an impulse purchase like the ART TPS 11, which does seem to offer an awful lot for around £175:

You can change the tube if you wish - here's a YouTube on that subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJv2Xl_3KbE

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Wonks » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:10 pm

Martin Walker wrote:You can change the tube if you wish

'Valve', Martin, 'valve'. You'll give Hugh apoplexy saying 'tube'. :headbang: :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:27 pm

Changing tubes is what you do on a bicycle... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:37 pm

Or an old TV set
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

PreviousNext