You are here

Overdrive unit/pedal for warming digital synths?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Overdrive unit/pedal for warming digital synths?

Postby Wonks » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:07 pm

Or if you're playing Mornington Crescent.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:33 am

Oh dear, I seem to have stepped on a nerve here.

However, in my defence I was referring to a YouTube video, whose title is ART TPS II Tube Replacement, so I hope everyone can forgive my terrible slip and let me carry on my life without further repercussions :ugeek:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:13 am

Yes, "smell the tube" just doesn't sound right...

:D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:26 am

OK, an idea, I'll buy this ART thing today, if I don't like it I'll pass it around here, if anyone likes it they can have it for half of what I paid for it.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:17 am

It's alright; two years of therapy and some marvellous little pills have allowed me to accept the odd Tube instead of Valve. I don't even need the full phrase, Thermionic Valve anymore.

Sadly, the daemons still return on sight of 'toob'.... Oh...shouldn't have said that... Nurse... NURSE!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:23 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:It's alright; two years of therapy and some marvellous little pills have allowed me to accept the odd Tube instead of Valve. I don't even need the full phrase, Thermionic Valve anymore.

Sadly, the daemons still return on sight of 'toob'.... Oh...shouldn't have said that... Nurse... NURSE!

But you're a doctor now, you don't need the nurse :D
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:29 am

:lol: :clap:

You haven't seen my nurse...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:33 am

Arpangel wrote:OK, an idea, I'll buy this ART thing today, if I don't like it I'll pass it around here, if anyone likes it they can have it for half of what I paid for it.
I know a bloke looking for a decent Hammond snarl. Hit me up of it goes that far and I'll get the two of you to speak.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:40 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:OK, an idea, I'll buy this ART thing today, if I don't like it I'll pass it around here, if anyone likes it they can have it for half of what I paid for it.
I know a bloke looking for a decent Hammond snarl. Hit me up of it goes that far and I'll get the two of you to speak.

It's all gone beserk Elf, I'm reeling, and a rockin, with Christmas pedal adiction.
It's SOS's fault, publishing,about that pedal book, and that amazing shop in Denmark...
AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!! :crazy: :shock:
Now I need to buy a Shallow Water, and Minim pedals, plus this ART preamp....
Father Christmas better be on his way...
Hugh, Tube is bad, but so is "V8 Motor"......
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:47 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote::lol: :clap:

Looks like she may have very natural highs, and a tight bottom end...

Oops.....

:)
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:58 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote::lol: :clap:

Looks like she may have very natural highs, and a tight bottom end...

Oops.....

:)

I feel like I've accidentally wandered into a Carry On film. Oooo, matron...
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:24 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:I feel like I've accidentally wandered into a Carry On film. Oooo, matron...

Carry On SOS!

Great title, we could get the Red Bladder to direct it, bound to be a box office hit!
Cast list could be cool too...

Staring...............Dr Hugh Robjohns etc....

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:36 pm

On the off chance that your credit card is still safe in its velvet-lined wallet, here's a YouTube (oh, no the tube word again!) video with an actual before/after demo of the ART thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV2m9Bqtw2E

Hint - jump between 0:00 and 1:00 to hear the A and B versions - I liked the 'improvement', but of course that's only one set of front panel control settings.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:40 am

Martin Walker wrote:

On the off chance that your credit card is still safe in its velvet-lined wallet, here's a YouTube (oh, no the tube word again!) video with an actual before/after demo of the ART thing:

Hint - jump between 0:00 and 1:00 to hear the A and B versions - I liked the 'improvement', but of course that's only one set of front panel control settings.

Martin

Martin, I didn't like it, in that demo A sounded better, bigger, fuller, nice quality, the ART sounded small and squashed, if that's what it does I'm out.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:17 am

It doesn't help that the two takes weren't loudness matched. In B, the guitar was definitely a bit quieter.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Arpangel » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:48 am

Wonks wrote:It doesn't help that the two takes weren't loudness matched. In B, the guitar was definitely a bit quieter.

I noticed that too, but on the basis of that demo I wouldn't buy it.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:54 am

Arpangel wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:

Martin, I didn't like it, in that demo A sounded better, bigger, fuller, nice quality, the ART sounded small and squashed, if that's what it does I'm out.
Valves cause distortion/deterioration. It just whether your ears like that effect that's the critical factor. One man's 'small and squashed' is another man's 'warmth and mojo'!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:20 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:

Valves cause distortion/deterioration. It just whether your ears like that effect that's the critical factor. One man's 'small and squashed' is another man's 'warmth and mojo'!

Valves have always been sometng I prefer, I don't equate them with adding anything to a sound, they just sound better, and more natural than solid state stuff. Of course, if you over drive them you are going to get distortion, and then as you say it's whether you like that particular character of distortion or not.
My synth is already lacking in body, and is quite "thin" I'd just like something that will restore the body and make it sound a bit bigger, restore it to "normal' as I hear it.
That ART unit isn't suitable I think, I need to keep looking, for something that's going to be of good quality, and capable of more than one sound, so I can have it permanently on the output of a sub-group.
There are two units that I know will definitely give me what I'm after firstly the Summit Audio DCL200, and surprisingly not valve, the Neve Master Buss Processor, I've used the DCL200 many times in the past, and it undisputably ads lots of magic. The Neve too, but it doesn't come cheap.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:02 pm

Maybe have a think about a tape saturation approach instead?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:46 pm

Personally I'd just reach for Kazrog's True Iron plug-in to fatten things up ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

PreviousNext