You are here

Replacement ear tips for In Ear Headphones

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Replacement ear tips for In Ear Headphones

Postby Mambosun » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:03 pm

Hello everybody,
I recently bought the Audio Technica IEM ATH-E50 and I am plenty satisfied with it. I use them for my Sound Design projects (expect mixing and mastering) and I do appreciate their comfort, especially after 8 hours of continuous work.
The only drawback I see is there's only one eartips which works well for me, the largest one. The smaller models can't provide the level of isolation and the full range sound reproduction (especially bass) of the biggest one.
Which means if I break or loose them, I'm stuck.
I asked Audio Technica about replacement model they would suggest and they recommeded their foam eartips (ref: EP-FT/5 )
They come in 5 pairs of the same size but again too small for me (lack of bass and sound isolation).
So my question is which aftermarket earpieces would be a good replacement ?
I currently use Alpine earplug for my rehearsal and gigs, they are quite good and comfy. They are double flange design which I would like to experiment with my ATH-E50 as well, but maybe earplug and eartips for headphones are not compatible?
What do think and which model/ brand would you recommend for optimal sound reproduction?
Mambosun

Re: Replacement ear tips for In Ear Headphones

Postby ben howes » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:28 pm

The Comply memory foam tips are worth trying. Check the diameter of the stem before you order as they are made in different sizes.
ben howes
Regular

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:36 am

ben howes wrote:The Comply memory foam tips are worth trying. Check the diameter of the stem before you order as they are made in different sizes.

I'm a relatively happy Comply tips user with my bog standard se215s. I find the XL size isn't quite as solid a fit as the ones that came with the Shures but the difference is not a deal breaker.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Mambosun » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:55 am

Thanks for your suggestions.
I've already found Comply foam tips supposed to perfectly fit my ATH-E50 in their website, the T500 models.
However, I worry a bit about many users who have complained about the foam low durability with regards to the high price.
Any experience with Spinfit models?
Mambosun