You are here

Multi pattern LDC with high output £300?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Multi pattern LDC with high output £300?

Postby Dan LB » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:50 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:the reality is that 12dBA is very much on a par with the very best small-diaphragm capacitor mics, and probably 6dB quieter than most.

Which only really leaves acoustic noise as being the real problem here...

H

I was thinking the very same. Either that or there is something wrong with the AT mics themselves.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:56 pm

Wonks wrote:Simply use a louder choir. Problem solved. ;)

"Out of the mouths"....? Can I very repsectfully suggest the mic pre chain is being asked too much of?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:03 pm

Dan LB wrote:I was thinking the very same. Either that or there is something wrong with the AT mics themselves.

If there was a problem with the mics, it's unlikely that both mics would be affected identically.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby dickiefunk » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:59 pm

Just our of curiosity, could you recommend LDC’s that have both lower self noise and higher output around £400? This can be either multi pattern or fixed cardioid.
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:17 pm

https://www.microphone-data.com/

The microphone database is your friend for complex queries like this. You'll need to register, but you can then use the advanced search facility to find mics that comply with all your parameters.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby dickiefunk » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:27 pm

Ah brilliant thanks Hugh, I wasn’t aware of this :thumbup:
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Postby forumuser653351 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:36 pm

In regard to the O/P, I use the Lewitt LCT441 flex and really like it. I've used it on double bass (pizz and arco), percussion, as a room mic, vocals and voice over. I also use it in figure of 8 for mid/side recordings. I'm sure it would be very nice for classical music and choirs.
forumuser653351
Regular

Postby Ariosto » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:23 am

dickiefunk wrote:Hi,

I’m looking to add a few affordable multi pattern LDC’s for both recording and live choirs/classical ensembles. I have a pair of Rode NT55’s but prefer the results I get using LDC’s.
At the moment I’m using three Audio Technica AT4040’s and these work extremely well when I just need cardioid patterns. However, there are occasions where I would like different polar patterns depending on the project.

I’ve had a quick look around and the following options are of particular interest

Rode NT-2a
SE Electronics SE2300
CAD M179
Warm Audio WA-47jr
Lewitt LCT441 flex (slightly over budget)

Ideally I would like something with even higher output and lower self noise.

Has anyone had experience with any of these mics and the Audio Technica AT4040’s?

What would you recommend?
This does not really answer your questions as you want mic's that have varied polar patterns and high output, but I find LDC mic's rather disappointing in general. (There are probably expensive LDC's that are OK but I have no experience of these).

I find I like dynamic mics - including ribbons, for their sound. To my ear most reasonable priced LDC mics have hyped high frequencies and in some cases can also be unreliable if any moisture occurs on the diaphragm. For these reasons I am unlikely to ever purchase another LDC mic. The best mic's I have for spoken voice, vocal and instrumental are dynamics and especially ribbon mic's, although SDC's can be great (such as DPA) and are much more reliable. I prefer also omni mics but of course room sound can spoil recordings.

I dare say there are LDC's out there which may be reasonably good or excellent but priced at well over £1,000 for a single mic, and in some cases three or four times more expensive.

Higher output gain can be achieved with a good pre-amp or even the in line boosters which would provide your needs and allow decent sounding mid priced mics to be used. (But of course a decent pre would cost in the region of £400-£500, which may be outside your budget).
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Previous