You are here

Low cost field recording rig?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Low cost field recording rig?

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:50 pm

Pushmepullyou < (mid = the side giveth and the side taketh away) > uoYlluPeMhsuP
=
Over here! <=> !ereH revO

I think that sums it up? :mrgreen:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby omsoc » Wed May 20, 2020 3:52 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I think it comes down to what you want to achieve. A spaced-omni technique doesn't give any front/back separation. If you're just recording a general ambience effect that obviously won't matter and may even be a bonus. But if you're after a sound in a specific location, some directivity to focus on the wanted source and reduce any unwanted ambient sounds may be more useful.

Using shotgun mics for stereo can be done, but it's very easy to have a big hole in the centre if you're not very careful, and off-axis sound sources can be very phasey-sounding, especially if they're moving in relation to the mic array.

Personally, when I'm out and about recording natural sounds I tend to use an MS pair (Sennheiser MKH 30/40 or 30/50 usually, sometimes a 30/20 combo) in a Rycote Cyclone windshield, supplemented with a pair of spaced DPA 4060 Cores (personal mics) which are mounted on FM radio aerials to allow me to easily adjust their positioning. All recorded onto a Nagra VI.

Or if I need to be more compact, I'll use one or other of those rigs feeding into a Sound Devices two-channel preamp with MS decoding and monitoring, and record its (unbalanced) output onto an Olympus LS11.

H

what is the manfretto conector that you are using to connect the ariels to ? i have a joby connector thing but it was not compatable with the ariel screws.
omsoc

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed May 20, 2020 4:23 pm

That rig is based around a couple of DAB telescopic antennae screwed into an F‑type coupler which is clamped in a Manfrotto Pico Plier mount.

https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/pico-clamp-max2kg-8-to-15mm-1-4-and-3-8-attach-mc1990a/
The aerials and coupler cost just over £10... and the Pico mount more than doubled the overall investment! (But it is very elegantly engineered and will undoubtedly have other uses).

I use DPA 4060Core mics which are inserted into small foam windshields and then placed inside Rycote fluffies, the latter being pushed down over the DAB aerial ends. It's quick and easy to rig, and works very well even in strong gusty conditions.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby innerchord » Thu May 21, 2020 6:27 am

The Elf wrote:Don't underestimate the power of MS manipulation - once you grasp it you begin to understand the possibilities.

Quite.
More free MS tools:
https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/4u/
https://goodhertz.co/midside-matrix/
innerchord
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Thu May 21, 2020 7:14 am

innerchord wrote:
The Elf wrote:Don't underestimate the power of MS manipulation - once you grasp it you begin to understand the possibilities.

Quite.
More free MS tools:
https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/4u/
https://goodhertz.co/midside-matrix/

MS is one of those things I’m always "about to do" but for some reason I just glaze over when I get the mic's out the draw, oh sod it, just give me a another pair of spaced cardioids.
MS just seems like a lot of effort to go to most of the time, just to get stereo.
I know it has a lot of adjustment potential after the event, but.
This is typical me, I’m well aware, or maybe I’m just becoming more and more lazy lately.
I tell you, it’s become so bad, I tend to reach for my Tascam DR100 these days, rather than get some proper mic's out, and most of the time, for what I do, it’s absolutely fine.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu May 21, 2020 8:19 am

Arpangel wrote:MS is one of those things I’m always "about to do" but for some reason I just glaze over when I get the mic's out the draw, oh sod it, just give me a another pair of spaced cardioids.
MS just seems like a lot of effort to go to most of the time, just to get stereo.
What do you feel is 'a lot of effort'? All it takes is the free MSED plug-in - that's it!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu May 21, 2020 9:12 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:MS is one of those things I’m always "about to do" but for some reason I just glaze over when I get the mic's out the draw, oh sod it, just give me a another pair of spaced cardioids.
What do you feel is 'a lot of effort'? All it takes is the free MSED plug-in - that's it!

You don’t understand, I’ve got to get the mic's out of the draw, and even worse, put them on a stand, and "think about things" it's just plain unreasonable to expect me to have to do that...I’m getting to a point now where I need Studio SOS to be in residence full-time...

:D :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu May 21, 2020 9:15 am

I just have a stand set up so ready to go all I need to do is get the ribbon out of the box (I appreciate this is your first challenge!) and drop the LDC into place above it.
I reckon it would take me about 90 seconds to be set up for MS recording! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby John Willett » Thu May 21, 2020 10:19 am

Arpangel wrote:You don’t understand, I’ve got to get the mic's out of the draw, and even worse, put them on a stand, and "think about things" it's just plain unreasonable to expect me to have to do that...I’m getting to a point now where I need Studio SOS to be in residence full-time...

:bouncy: :lol: :bouncy:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby The Elf » Thu May 21, 2020 11:09 am

For the second time in a week...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Fri May 22, 2020 1:15 am

You don’t understand, I’ve got to get the mic's out of the draw, and even worse, put them on a stand, and "think about things" it's just plain unreasonable to expect me to have to do that...I’m getting to a point now where I need Studio SOS to be in residence full-time...

Some people are just beyond help!!! :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri May 22, 2020 7:50 am

MOF wrote:

Yes, and it’s made worse by the fact I have an MS mixer, with a switch you just engage it and it decodes the mic's into a normal stereo output, but it’s not a portable mixer, and I’m finding I’m making more field recordings these days, and it’s easier just to grab a handy recorder, I’d have to by a blimp for MS, and I just can’t be bothered.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Fri May 22, 2020 9:34 am

Arpangel wrote:
MOF wrote:

Yes, and it’s made worse by the fact I have an MS mixer, with a switch you just engage it and it decodes the mic's into a normal stereo output, but it’s not a portable mixer, and I’m finding I’m making more field recordings these days, and it’s easier just to grab a handy recorder, I’d have to by a blimp for MS, and I just can’t be bothered.

:lol: :headbang:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Arpangel » Fri May 22, 2020 10:42 am

John Willett wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
MOF wrote:

John, my enthusiasm for life in general, let alone music, is virtually non existent, and the interesting thing is, it’s not making a jot of difference to my musical output, or the quality of it. In fact, because I don’t care, it enables me to do loads of things, that I wouldn’t normally accept as being OK, as for judging the quality of what I do, I honestly don’t know, all I do know is that I’m not making any value judgments or so called quality considerations, but that still doesn’t stop me making stuff that sounds alright, and that people seem to like.
Sounds bad doesn’t it, but as I said, who cares? so....
I really am doing it just to keep occupied.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Fri May 22, 2020 11:31 am

Arpangel wrote:
John Willett wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
MOF wrote:

John, my enthusiasm for life in general, let alone music, is virtually non existent, and the interesting thing is, it’s not making a jot of difference to my musical output, or the quality of it. In fact, because I don’t care, it enables me to do loads of things, that I wouldn’t normally accept as being OK, as for judging the quality of what I do, I honestly don’t know, all I do know is that I’m not making any value judgments or so called quality considerations, but that still doesn’t stop me making stuff that sounds alright, and that people seem to like.
Sounds bad doesn’t it, but as I said, who cares? so....
I really am doing it just to keep occupied.

Sometimes the best music can come from this - as you are relaxed, not stressed, and just doing what comes to mind. :thumbup:

Good luck and stay safe. :)
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

PreviousNext