You are here

Old motorbikes and Merry Christmas to all

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Old motorbikes and Merry Christmas to all

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:46 am

I met a bloke in Newcastle a while back, he had been a totter all his life, a mobile scrap merchant, with a Transit pickup. He had answered an advert I placed, when I had an old BSA C15, which had problems, and I wanted a small reliable Japanese bike. He brought me a Suzuki B100P, the Bloop. We swapped and all was great. He invited me round to his house, and there in his lean to lock-up at the back, were 30 classic bikes he'd collected over the years. I re-visited him many times after that. We would go straight in to the lock up, he would call out "put the kettle on lass" to his wife, and we would look at the bikes, sip tea, smoke roll-up's, look at the Vincent, the Bath tub Triumph, the Velocette, the Ariel Square Four, and all the other lovely bikes.

Now, here in Huay Yai, I find I come into my den, my "studio room", with my cup of tea, (I don't smoke now) and I look at all the stuff I've collected, - a couple of Les Pauls, a Gretsch Brian Seltzer, and of course a Fender Strat, endless keyboards, fabulous recording equipment, great mixing desk, ancient and modern studio swag, etc, and I mostly just look at this stuff, all connected up and working, and I believe I would object to anyone coming in to make a recording.

I think I've discovered a new side of this hobby, just looking! and feeling good about it!

Merry Christmas all, and a happy, healthy New Year.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: Old motorbikes and Merry Christmas to all

Postby BJG145 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:55 am

Howdy Doody Time wrote:We would go straight in to the lock up, he would call out "put the kettle on lass" to his wife, and we would look at the bikes, sip tea, smoke roll-up's.

Ah, the good old days. :thumbup:

(That's illegal now, of course.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:45 am

BJG145 wrote:
Howdy Doody Time wrote:We would go straight in to the lock up, he would call out "put the kettle on lass" to his wife, and we would look at the bikes, sip tea, smoke roll-up's.

Ah, the good old days. :thumbup:

(That's illegal now, of course.)

No it’s not, all is alive and well in Arpangels garage and man cave.
I had a couple of mates round yesterday, and it was "go on! start the TVR up we want to hear it" garage open, they’re all standing there while I squeeze into the car and start it up, water and petrol shoot out the exhausts all over my mates trousers, my partner comes out with a tray of drinks, Talisker single malt, that’s what I call service, but that’s illegal now, of course.

:D

Merry Christmas all.....

:beamup: :angel:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:14 am

At least half the pleasure of ownership of these 'boys toys' is just looking at them. Back in the day I had bikes (3 x Bonneville's and a GS1000), more recently a much missed MX5 and I still have my guitars and boats. I do sail the boats though fettling/bimbling is almost as much fun and I have played all of the guitars in the last couple of weeks.

Merry Christmas everybody :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby IvanSC » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:37 pm

Arpangel wrote: "go on! start the TVR up we want to hear it"

Blimey, Tony! I didn't know you were a TVR geek too!!! Sadly had to sell off my early Grantura when I got divorced, but still have happy memories of roaring around with my bum almost hitting the road!
Happy New Year to you, dear boy.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!