You are here

Interface Issue and Advice

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Interface Issue and Advice

Postby forumuser773232 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:41 am

Hi everyone,

I just picked up an AKAI EIE PRO interface, bought it off someone who was selling it, excellent working condition and all. I read the SOS review from a few years back, and I was sold on getting one for my studio. So pardon my question and ignorance, but I've hooked everything up and works fine but I'm confused about a few things.

1) Here is screenshot of AKAI audio connections, have I connected it correctly?

The reason I ask is in my DAW (Cubase) it says, "No Audio Connections"?

2) Regarding samples, it is set at default '256 samples' see here:

Again is this correct?

And finally 3) The unit has some constant hum noise when its connected to my computer via the USB 2.0 cbale. I have tested using other cables and it all does the same thing, the hum remains! As soon as I unplug the uni with trhe USB cable, all noise disappears. Can someone please help me in how do I fix this issue?

I'm using WIN 10.

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!
Joe
forumuser773232
Poster

Re: Interface Issue and Advice

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:48 am

1) looks ok for your main stereo out. You'll need to set up the four inputs too in the inputs tab in order to use them.

2) 256 samples should be fine but you can lower it, pretty sure I could get away with 128 on my old Windwos XP PC, so a newer system might well be capable of going to 64 samples.

3) I used to get the same on a PC, Mac Mini and MacBook Pro.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:02 pm

3) is probably a ground loop hum, can you tell us exactly what kit you have and how it's connected please? (Might also be a 'lack of ground' issue).
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Chromeman » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:54 pm

Doubt it will solve the hum problem but you should update to the latest driver 2.9.64....
Chromeman
Regular

Postby ef37a » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:09 pm

I used Cubase Ess6 some years ago but not frequently and I always found it a pain to setup for ins and outs.

K.I.S.Sir and try Audacity as the inital recording software, just about anyone here can tell you how to set that up.

The hum is indeed likely a hum/earth/ground loop. First check, if using a laptop, does it hum with the mains charger disconnected?
And yes, a full description of the whole system is needed for diagnosis.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:39 pm

The outputs are OK, but have you set up the inputs correctly?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby forumuser773232 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:49 am

Thanks for all your help so far. regarding if I have connected the inputs correctly, see here a screenshot:

https://ibb.co/k9YS8jb

I managed to try several different USB Cables, finally the last one I tried seemed to have resolved the noise/hum issue. Strange as they were all the same type of cable.

Regarding the sampling time, my previous recordings were all 44.1Khz/24 bit, so is the 256 samples is fine?
forumuser773232
Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:29 pm

The buffer size is more dependent on the processor's capability.

For mixing, you can leave it set to a reasonable number as it takes some strain off the processor. But when tracking, if you want to hear yourself through software monitoring e.g. when playing a MIDI instrument plug-in (rather than using any direct monitoring capability your audio interface has when recording a hardware instrument or vocals), then you'll want to reduce latency and so use a smaller buffer size. it's easy to adjust, so just see how small a buffer size you can use without getting pops and clicks due to processor capacity maxing out).

What that 'reasonable number' is will depend on your computer (how powerful the processor is) and how many tracks and how many plug-ins (FX and instruments) and the types of plug-in you have running in the DAW at the time. Some plugs can take a lot of processing power, whilst others take almost none at all.

256 samples should be fine, but again, it does depend on the computer power. If you notice clicks, then you generally need a bigger buffer size (sometimes other programs can affect DAW performance so a bigger buffer is not always the answer).

Small buffer = lowest latency but higher processor load
Big buffer = high latency but lowest processor load.

High latency is not a problem at all when just mixing.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby forumuser773232 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:18 am

I've struggled to have this working properly...am now frustrated. So one thing I noticed is the VST Audio System set up says '32 bit' or '64 bit'. I've selected 32 bit since all my previous recordings have been in 32 bit.

But my main issue now is any signal coming through seems to on the audio input activity meter, it only shows one channel (ie not stereo) and when I listen tracking on headphones I only hear it coming out of one speaker rather than both.

Now previously when I recorded with a different interface or all of my previous interface, I also recorded the signal as 'mono' signal' yet the audio activity channel r always had both lights equally moving and on my headphones the playback was always in stereo. And this was without the mono switch enabled. So what am I doing wrong?
forumuser773232
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:55 am

I suspect the 32/64 bit question here is about your OS not your recording. Most current OS run at 64 bit, in selecting 32 you're probably just getting half of the signal.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...