You are here

Amplifier for passive monitors - PMC TB2s

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Amplifier for passive monitors - PMC TB2s

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:54 pm

Jez Corbett wrote: Btw, what's the '12v Trigger' option about?

Common facility on high-end hi-fi to turn devices on-off. It's a 12V DC control voltage.

Typically, a preamp would provide a 12V Trigger output when it's powered up, which would be used to turn on a separate power amp. Or the preamp might have a switched 12V trigger output that could be used to activate the curtains when TV input is selected, etc...

And a power amp would typically have a 'soft' powering mode where it's left permanently powered on, but it shuts itself down unless it receives a 12V trigger signal.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:57 pm

Jez Corbett wrote:Tangential question - I'll be running an out direct from an RME Fireface or Babyface. The babyface kinda is a monitor controller, and the fireface has a master out knob, but should I invest in something between the two anyway to avoid accidental face explosion?

Plenty of people use their interfaces as monitor controllers perfectly successfully, and RME interfaces are far less likely to go loco than anyone else's.

...but maybe have the power amp's on-off switch within easy reach just in case! :D
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ef37a » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:50 pm

You could just have a speaker kill switch box as a panic measure?

There are times anyway when you want to silence monitors, using a live mic for example.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Jez Corbett » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:24 pm

Ok, turns out I need to push the button today due to financial end of year stuff, but having massive procrastination crisis.

Nord One MP NC252 250W, including delivery and VAT will cost me €880.

I can also get a Creek Evolution 50P, as recommended by SOS's power amp article, for €649.

Or I can just get the cheap ART one.

Thing is, how long will I run the PMC TB2s in this way? How long until I get an active surround set and these just become my home HiFi speakers run through a ... spit ... AV receiver?

Basically think I need a reason to justify the (not especially large) cost of the amp when I might only end up using it in its current purpose (driving the TB2s in my studio) for a year.

Or do I just shut up and buy the damn Nord?
Jez Corbett
Frequent Poster
http://www.jeremycorbett.co.uk

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:18 pm

I'm afraid I don't know any of those amps, although the Nord is based on familiar Hypex modules so should be fine...

I'm sure the Creek is lovely, and the recommendation counts for a lot, but as a stereo amp it would be very underpowered for the PMCs. It would be okay if you bought two and ran them bridged.

I've always been impressed with ART stuff, but I'm not sure it would be able to help the TB2s deliver their full potential...

Can you buy on a sale or return basis?

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby James Perrett » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:45 pm

It may also be worth having a look at Apollon for Hypex based amplifiers as I thought they looked slightly cheaper than Nord. I just priced up a 400W per channel UCD based set of Hypex modules which came to 449 euros (inc internal wiring looms but excluding VAT) so 880 euros for an Ncore based ready made amplifier doesn't look a bad price.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Jez Corbett » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:44 pm

Well! I ended up ordering the nord in the end, however it then looks like I might not get it for a month. I'll look into this one, I guess the 250w at 8ohm version would be equivalent to the nord?
Jez Corbett
Frequent Poster

Postby Jez Corbett » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:57 pm

Quick rant time.

Its been almost a month since I ordered my Nord. It apparently arrived in Finland over 2 weeks ago, but UPS didn't attempt to deliver it, wouldn't arrange a delivery when I was actually around, and I just found out looking at the tracking details that a week ago it was returned to sender, and at no point has anyone contacted me about it!

Great!
Jez Corbett
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:59 am

Jez Corbett wrote:I just found out looking at the tracking details that a week ago it was returned to sender, and at no point has anyone contacted me about it!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Poor you :(

I bet no-one will take the blame either, or will erroneously claim to have sent you emails, phone calls or texts :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Previous