You are here

Home studio audio buzz help

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Home studio audio buzz help

Postby GYL » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:26 am

A little over a month ago anything with pickups I've used; a rhodes, various guitars, basses (basses effected the most) has a buzzing sound. I have tried everything I can think of and it seems like the noise is radio/over the air and not sure what to do about it.

- touching the strings lessens the buzz

- moving around the room can change intensity of it

- i have recordings with the same equipment/same settings before that for sure didn't have the noise

- Haven't added or removed any audio or electrical equipment

- tested re-seating every single plug in my studio

- tested every cable

- Have tested turning every breaker in the house off besides 1 circuit with the audio chain simplified as possible

- Have tested using a laptop running on battery through a USB interface so nothing was using house power

- tested the same guitars and basses at another studio and didn't have the noise

- Buzz with bass plugged in - Image

- No instrument plugged in. On laptop with no outlets used Image

- No Instrument plugged in. On normal recording chain running on house power Image

- I am kind of stuck here on what I can test next or do here if the noise is RFI type interference

Seeing if anyone has had similar issues or offer any advice? thanks
GYL

Re: Home studio audio buzz help

Postby ef37a » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:17 pm

My first suggestion is to dig out those earlier recordings and examine the quiet bits and get an idea of the then noise floor. Then do the same today. Bit tricky since you won't know the old gain settings but it should give you some idea of the relative nois levels?

Once you have a clear idea of the difference, isolate a section of the buzz, and post the noise. The 'quality' of the buzz can give clues as to the source...

A smooth, mostly 50 (60?) Hz hum s direct induction from a transformer. A 'dirtier' buzz with 100Hz and more harmonics could be a transformer under heavy load. A really raucous buzz with extented harmonics COULD be AM TV transmissions . (I have no idea what modern digital TVI sounds like..Hugh?)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:12 pm

OP's images. (You need to copy the image location over, not the Imgur page address. If the link doesn't have .jpg or .png at the end, it won't show up).

- Buzz with bass plugged in -

- No instrument plugged in. On laptop with no outlets used

- No Instrument plugged in. On normal recording chain running on house power
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby GYL » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:32 am

thanks guys! sorry about the images, new here.

Yea I don't have exact settings but I have same instruments DI into same preamps so it should be super close. I think it is definitely on the dirtier side. I will go record some audio of the noise tonight and post it up here.

thanks again!
GYL

Postby GYL » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:56 am

Bass noise 1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QFtGB_8Q6wuavRt_fMsyJ_go1jxUtJld/view?usp=sharing

Bass Noise 2 DI

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WIOW_lPDFYlvZq2o14MbkM2BctRdnUb7/view?usp=sharing

Bass noise 1 chain is
Fender Aerodyne > Hairball LOLA DI > Antelope Orion32+

:00 start in stand
:23 pick up and move around, turn in circle to see how it changes
:58 touch strings on and off hear how it goes away
1:28 plying notes then and on/off touching strings to hear noise go in and out

Bass 2 Noise DI is close to same thing with a Radial Pro2 DI with the ground lifted
GYL

Postby Philbo King » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:15 pm

There are a few ways to deal with this.
- Eliminating the source of the noise. The most difficult approach.
Radiated sources can include light dimmers, transformers (both in your equipment and outside on a power pole), AC motors, even a heavy electrical load in your building such as electric stove, dryer or air conditioner.
Conductive sources can include all the above, but arrives through power mains wiring instead of radio wave or magnetic pickup. Sometimes adding a ferrite toroid (available on Amazon) in line on the power cord will choke high freq components of the hum.

- Shielding
This takes a variety of forms.
It is only effective against radiated sources. Some approaches:
- line the entire room with a well grounded conductive screen (google Faraday Cage).
- Line the interior cavity of your instruments with copper tape, soldered together, and connected to the ground wire

Other approaches:
- switch the pickups to humbuckers
- use a noise reduction algorithm, such as Ozone or Reapers FIR plug, to get a spectral sample of the hum and subtract or gate it out. This can be highly effective if the hum is constant.
Philbo King
New here