You are here

Zoom Livetrak l-12 Band + Ableton Monitoring

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Zoom Livetrak l-12 Band + Ableton Monitoring

Postby wfox » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:34 pm

Hello and happy NYE!

TL;DR:
I'm *this* close to forking out for the Livetrack L-12 for use with the band I play keyboard for.
One thing I can't work out from info online is whether the signal from each track that is sent to the computer when used as an audio interface is pre or post fader. Would anybody in the know be able to clear this up?

Longer explanation:
We have 2 semi-acoustic guitars, elec guitar, bassist, 2 or 3 vocalists and my keyboard. We don't have a drummer but have been playing around with a drum machine.
My thought was that I could get the L-12 hooked up to Ableton and then choose which tracks I want to send through Ableton (for realtime effects), add some beats/samples and then send that back to Ch11,12 on the L-12.
Obviously, in this case, I'd want to make sure the tracks that I send through Ableton are not doubled up. I am hoping that I can just set that fader to -inf on the L-12 as it will be routed back to Ch11,12. But if the fader affects the signal into Ableton then I'm stuck.

Thanks for any post Christmas helpers!
wfox

Re: Zoom Livetrak l-12 Band + Ableton Monitoring

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:07 pm

Happy new year!

The recorded signal is taken pre-EQ and pre-fader (and, optionally, pre-compressor following an OS update). So yes, you should be able to do what you need.
Sam Inglis

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:06 pm

Hi wfox

Welcome to the forum. What is your location? I’ve just taken possession of an XR18 (as in a few hours ago) and my L-12 may Now be surplus to requirement.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby acquirethethings » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:30 am

Music Wolf wrote:Hi wfox

Welcome to the forum. What is your location? I’ve just taken possession of an XR18 (as in a few hours ago) and my L-12 may Now be surplus to requirement.

I am in the market for a used L-8, L-12 as well!
Washington State, Seattle area!
acquirethethings

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:38 pm

We're some way apart I'm afraid, I'm in the NW of England.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby acquirethethings » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:04 am

Oh bollocks
acquirethethings

Postby wfox » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:22 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:Happy new year!

The recorded signal is taken pre-EQ and pre-fader (and, optionally, pre-compressor following an OS update). So yes, you should be able to do what you need.

Hi Sam,
Perfect! Thanks for clarifying. Fingers crossed I can actually make some decent sounds to put through it then!
wfox

Postby wfox » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:33 pm

Music Wolf wrote:Hi wfox

Ouch, why didn't I check this sooner! Thanks for the offer but I put in an order for an L-12 a few hours after I sent that message. It's always nice to give a loved bit of kit a second life, but in this case I needed to try and get it for this weekend.
However, I am in the UK too and so if anything goes awry with this order I'll be in touch! :thumbup:

The XR18 looks like it means business. Have fun with that! Record a lot of large live bands then?
wfox