You are here

So what gear does Abbey Road recommend for a home studio?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

So what gear does Abbey Road recommend for a home studio?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:30 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: So what gear does Abbey Road recommend for a home studio?

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:43 pm

Aaaargh! Can't believe they start a section about cables, show one of the most commonly confused / misunderstood cable configurations and then only talk about half of its function! :protest: :protest: :protest:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Bunk » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:32 pm

Interesting indeed and it's quite satisfying to either actually have, or be pretty close to, the gear they recommend which is probably largely thanks to the good folk here. I did have to re-read the DAW bit where they suggest initially that Reaper is free. A little bit naughty?
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:34 pm

And, having suggested closed back cans for recording and open backs for mixing they recommend a set of closed back Bluetooth headphones as a guide buy.. :headbang:

Sounds like it was written by the tea boy........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Red Bladder » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:34 pm

AR disappears up its own backside more with every day - thanks to corporate sponsorship and product placement deals. If they had to live from recording revenues alone (as some of us still do!) they would probably run out of money in a matter of weeks.

That list of things to get for your home studio is product placement BS of the first order!

I note with much amusement that they still claim to have the largest recording space in the world - that fact was almost certainly never true. They are not even the largest recording space in the UK. AR's 'Studio One' is not even the largest dedicated recording studio in the world, though I suppose it is the largest in Englandshire, so it is the largest in the world if they think that the world stops at Dover.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Ramirez » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:53 pm

And they claim that Reaper is free :headbang:
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby CS70 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:05 pm

It's probably a long plugger to push their Studio 3 plugin ;-)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby MOF » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:26 pm

If they had to live from recording revenues alone (as some of us still do!) they would probably run out of money in a matter of weeks.

I don’t think Abbey Road struggles to fill its studios.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Ariosto » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:23 am

The Chandler mic they are pushing has no mic noise data. No price either, and why the need for it's own power supply?

I wonder if they ever use this mic in their studios?
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:11 am

And they didn't include the mighty USB cable from Russ Andrews......tsk.....tsk....
Zukan

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:45 am

Ariosto wrote:...and why the need for it's own power supply?

Because its crammed full of antiquated, current-hungry electronics that require rather more power than is available from a standard phantom supply.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Red Bladder » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:22 pm

MOF wrote:
If they had to live from recording revenues alone (as some of us still do!) they would probably run out of money in a matter of weeks.
Even if they filled every minute of every day with people recording (EXTREMELY unlikely!) total revenue from RECORDING ALONE would come to just £2m p.a. - not enough to keep the doors open and make a return on investment.

Start adding up payroll costs, business rates, utilities, depreciation of equipment, contingency and replacement costs, opportunity costs of the value of the building, insurance, building repair and maintenance, marketing - I could go on (and on and on!)

Of course they fill the studios - with corporate events and Japanese tourists! I would do the same. And I would engage with almost every BS sponsorship programme and product placement deal to keep the doors open. We have done similar things and closed down some services and rented out the space to cover costs. We too are diversifying - no studio today can live from recording services alone.

Every time I make that statement, someone tells me about some studio that is living from recording services alone - and then I look at the costs and the revenue and invariably I find that they have conveniently 'forgotten' to calculate basic costs such as replacement costs or the loss of revenue from building rental.

I just wish that AR would not push daft and inappropriate equipment (as mentioned above!) It is a policy that will not serve them well in the long run.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MOF » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:59 pm

Even if they filled every minute of every day with people recording (EXTREMELY unlikely!) total revenue from RECORDING ALONE would come to just £2m p.a. - not enough to keep the doors open and make a return on investment.

I don’t suppose that AR has to compete down to a price, I would imagine that they have costed their business and make a profit. All this corporate stuff is for extra profits.
There are other studios in London that don’t have the kudos of AR, nor the corporate marketing opportunities and they still make a profit, presumably, just not what they made in the 1970-90s.
I’m fairly sure that AR owns the building, so rental cost is not a factor, obviously the opportunity cost of not converting it to luxury flats means that the owners aren’t making as much profit as they could, hence the corporate path they’ve taken.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:05 pm

I can't think of any London studio that doesn't frequently use its rooms to host a lot of non-recording events -- product launches, video shoots, corporate presentations, etc etc...

And yes, Abbey Road does have to price its studios competitively as there are other similarly sized and equipped rooms in London and elsewhere all fighting to attract clients from the same pool of work.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby The Red Bladder » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:58 pm

London has the Big-Three-As (Abbey, Air and Angel) and all have the same equipment and are of similar size. There are also other recording spaces such as what used to be called Watford Town Hall (I've forgotten what it is now) and of course various sound-stages usually used for film, some of which are truly huge - usually between 1,000 and 6,000 sq m.

Because everyone and their mothers-in-law have their own small home studios and a working band will have a rehearsal space with propper recording facilities, nearly all the old band work for commercial studios has vanished. That means that all those 50-100 sq m studios that were full of bands up to about 2005 are now all-dressed-up-and-nowhere-to-go.

The Big Three As rely on film scores - but there is a problem. More and more big film scores are being recorded in places like Hungary and Poland as those countries provide even more generous tax-breaks than the UK and their recording studios are getting better and better and most top musicians drawn to London from E.Europe have returned, frightened by Brexit and the silly cost of living in London.

And not just on the audio side. Look at Bladerunner 2049 and see what a film made in Budapest can look like. Giant complexes like Korda Studios and Origo Studios not only have sound stages every bit as big and well-equipped as Pinewood's 007 stage, but they have backlot areas far larger than anything the UK can offer. More importantly, for the various film industries across mainland Europe, they are a short and borderless drive away.

For the UK creative industries, television (Netflix and Amazon) is helping greatly to fill the gap. But as Hugh states, there is considerable market pressure.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:39 am

This all reminds me of my old friend Mike Skeet, full time free thinker and pro classical recording engineer of many years standing, he managed to make a living "entirely" from his recording activities as a one man band. His expectations were this, to continue recording, which he loved, and to buy his food and pay his mortgage with his earnings from recording,
This he did very successfully up until about a year before he died.
It is still possible to make a living from recording, engineering, alone, it depends on your expectations.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:39 pm

I think that might be a somewhat optimistic view. I was under the impression he had other income streams too... including a BT pension... AFAIK he didn't do anything like enough paid recording work to sustain himself entirely.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:18 pm

Sounds like it was written by the tea boy........

That was kind of my impression. Looks like a standard 'how to build a home studio' blog by any of the big name retailers etc.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:32 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I think that might be a somewhat optimistic view. I was under the impression he had other income streams too... including a BT pension... AFAIK he didn't do anything like enough paid recording work to sustain himself entirely.

He definitely did have enough work coming in when I first met him, always out on jobs, so many he had to sub some out.
True he did have his pension, and in the later days of his life that saved his bacon, literally.
He lived very meagrely, and all money made from recording went back into buying equipment. He also charged very modestly for his services, as his lifestyle was so minimal he didn’t need much.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Philbo King » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:21 pm

It seems to me this is a beginners guide. Which is actually a nice gesture. Perhaps a bit dangerous for those beginners who see it & rush to buy without doing their own due diligence research (but that's always the case).

As such, more experienced people will doubtless make their own decisions.
Philbo King
New here

Next