You are here

So what gear does Abbey Road recommend for a home studio?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: So what gear does Abbey Road recommend for a home studio?

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:39 am

This all reminds me of my old friend Mike Skeet, full time free thinker and pro classical recording engineer of many years standing, he managed to make a living "entirely" from his recording activities as a one man band. His expectations were this, to continue recording, which he loved, and to buy his food and pay his mortgage with his earnings from recording,
This he did very successfully up until about a year before he died.
It is still possible to make a living from recording, engineering, alone, it depends on your expectations.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:39 pm

I think that might be a somewhat optimistic view. I was under the impression he had other income streams too... including a BT pension... AFAIK he didn't do anything like enough paid recording work to sustain himself entirely.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:18 pm

Sounds like it was written by the tea boy........

That was kind of my impression. Looks like a standard 'how to build a home studio' blog by any of the big name retailers etc.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:32 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I think that might be a somewhat optimistic view. I was under the impression he had other income streams too... including a BT pension... AFAIK he didn't do anything like enough paid recording work to sustain himself entirely.

He definitely did have enough work coming in when I first met him, always out on jobs, so many he had to sub some out.
True he did have his pension, and in the later days of his life that saved his bacon, literally.
He lived very meagrely, and all money made from recording went back into buying equipment. He also charged very modestly for his services, as his lifestyle was so minimal he didn’t need much.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Philbo King » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:21 pm

It seems to me this is a beginners guide. Which is actually a nice gesture. Perhaps a bit dangerous for those beginners who see it & rush to buy without doing their own due diligence research (but that's always the case).

As such, more experienced people will doubtless make their own decisions.
Philbo King
Poster

Postby MOF » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:22 pm

Perhaps a bit dangerous for those beginners who see it & rush to buy without doing their own due diligence research (but that's always the case).
Then they find this forum and ask how to plug it all together and what to do next :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:49 pm

If they're lucky........ :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Argiletonne » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:11 pm

huh? abbey road making house calls now.
Argiletonne
Poster
Attention: Unpopular Middle Child 
Argiletonne Forevier™
1185 Normandy Dr.
Somberland, USA 16370

Previous