You are here

Yamaha MG12XU or Behringer Xenys UFX1204 ?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Yamaha MG12XU or Behringer Xenys UFX1204 ?

Postby Savio_br » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:15 am

Hi,

Can you help me?

1 - I found that the Xenyx UFX1204 lets you record all of your 12 individual tracks on DAW (not only L/R main). Does the Yamaha MG12XU also allow DAW recording of each individual track?

2 - I am in doubt between these two mixers. Which of these two mixers is better? Which one do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Savio_br
New here

Re: Yamaha MG12XU or Behringer Xenys UFX1204 ?

Postby Bob Bickerton » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:33 am

Welcome to the forum!

The Yamaha mixer only records stereo mix over USB, so not individual channels.

However, if I was looking for an analogue mixer/interface with individual sends over USB, I'd probably go for the Soundcraft MTK series or Tascam Model 16 - both more expensive than the Behringer, but you do get what you pay for..........

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby ef37a » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:29 am

Without ploughing through the manual* I am not at all sure about '16 track USB recording'?
In any case there are only 4 mic inputs. Where/how do you get the 12 other mics in? Yes, I know, some things can be DI'ed, some straight into line inputs but having only 4 mic channels for 16 tracks is rather limiting?

*But there IS no manual! Read some of the reviews, unless Behringer have done something about it, several people say there is no user manual and that is unforgivable for a complex bit of kit like this.

I would think very carefully about exactly what and how you want to record and read everything you can get your hands on WRT specifications (B's also don't give a signal block diagram. Useless buggers) user reports, in short take a good time to sift specs and learn.

You might be better off with a good Audio Interface with ADAT and a Behringer ADA8200?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:36 am

I’m certain the UFX does not do multitrack USB recording, I have the 16 channel version and that definitely does not have this facility. It will only record a stereo mix. Ditto for the Yamaha.
I’d echo what’s been said here already, the Soundcraft MTK series would be my first port of call.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:40 am

We are talking about the UFX not the X1204FX, my understanding from the SOS review of the larger model is that this does allow proper multi-track recording.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:53 am

Consider the Zoom LiveTracks, both of which allow for multitrack recording over USB and internally. Also consider the Behringer XR18, if the design suits your needs.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wonks » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:18 am

blinddrew wrote:We are talking about the UFX not the X1204FX, my understanding from the SOS review of the larger model is that this does allow proper multi-track recording.

What Blindrew said.

https://www.behringer.com/Categories/Be ... rans(en|en)

The Yamaha has 6 mic channels compared to the Behringer's 4 mic channels but as has been said, only records the main stereo outputs over USB.

It might help if you could say what you want to use the mixer for. If it's for playing and recording small gigs, then being able to record individual channels is far better than just the main output. But if it's just for home recording, then you will probably be better off with a proper audio interface and forget about the mixer.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:48 am

blinddrew wrote:We are talking about the UFX not the X1204FX, my understanding from the SOS review of the larger model is that this does allow proper multi-track recording.

I stand corrected, yes, it does allow multitrack recording, also got confused with the X, one letter can make a hell of a difference.

:D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:30 pm

Arpangel wrote:

I stand corrected, yes, it does allow multitrack recording, also got confused with the X, one letter can make a hell of a difference.

Ok but, I will lay odds to sausages that it does not perform as a mixer with direct outs into a 16 way A/D would?

As others have said with me, OP needs to tell us/think carefully what his use and expectations are.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:28 am

ef37a wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

Ok but, I will lay odds to sausages that it does not perform as a mixer with direct outs into a 16 way A/D would?

As others have said with me, OP needs to tell us/think carefully what his use and expectations are.

Dave.

I do know that the Behringers with a main stereo mix over USB have had issues with noise of some sort, so I’d be wary too.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Savio_br » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:25 pm

Hi guys,

I thank for you recommend some others models/brands but I have only these two options here and I have to choose one.

Considering the confusing that some peoples do about Behringer UFX thinking it's not multitracking recorder (I was certain it is), I ask you help me to found the same information about Yamaha MG-XU series.
With these information I'll be able to choose one or other (if only Behringer is multitracking recorder, I'll buy it).

Thank you!
Savio_br
New here

Postby Savio_br » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:37 pm

Wonks wrote:

What Blindrew said.

https://www.behringer.com/Categories/Be ... rans(en|en)

The Yamaha has 6 mic channels compared to the Behringer's 4 mic channels but as has been said, only records the main stereo outputs over USB.

It might help if you could say what you want to use the mixer for. If it's for playing and recording small gigs, then being able to record individual channels is far better than just the main output. But if it's just for home recording, then you will probably be better off with a proper audio interface and forget about the mixer.

The mixer is for playing and recording my gigs with my quartet. That's very important to us.
I only need to know if Yamaha MG-UX can do it.
Savio_br
New here

Postby Savio_br » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:47 am

One more question: can you tell me some good audio interfaces that have ADAT to extend with ADA8200? Are there any Focusrite, which are the easiest to find around here?
Savio_br
New here

Postby ef37a » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:10 am

Savio_br wrote:One more question: can you tell me some good audio interfaces that have ADAT to extend with ADA8200? Are there any Focusrite, which are the easiest to find around here?

You won't go far wrong with a F'rite!

The 18i18 at £299 here seems to be the 'entry level' for ADAT. Note however you only get an ADAT INput. There are 4 line outputs.

I am not sure if that AI in combination with the ADA will have the necessary flexibility for your intended use? Personally I would have thought so if you just want to grab 12 mics?

BTW, the Yamaha MG is just stereo mix recording via USB and 16 bit to boot. Avoid 16 bit mixers like the pox!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:36 pm

Savio_br wrote:One more question: can you tell me some good audio interfaces that have ADAT to extend with ADA8200? Are there any Focusrite, which are the easiest to find around here?

The Audient ID14 is probably the cheapest interface with ADAT inputs although only stereo out.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page