You are here

KRK Rokit RP5 G4 or ILoud MTM?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

KRK Rokit RP5 G4 or ILoud MTM?

Postby marcorossiuk » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:23 pm

Hi Guys

I have an untreated room which measures approx 2m x 3m. I product House and Techno but iv been finding it hard with my larger monitors to trust the bass im hearing in the room.

I have decided to switch to smaller monitors as this is better for a small room with little treatment. I have narrowed my search down to the following based on my budget and room.

KRK Rokit RP5 G4: I have heard these are decent for electronic music and have room eq correction when used with their app

IK Multimedia iLoud MTM: I have seen a good review on SOS and other places on the internet, plus there is also ARC room correction built in.

I haven't seen these 2 speakers reviewed side by side so i was hoping asomeone could help me chose between these 2.
marcorossiuk
New here

Re: KRK Rokit RP5 G4 or ILoud MTM?

Postby Zukan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:10 pm

Any decent shops local to you that you could demo both sets or could loan you the monitors for testing in your environment?
Zukan

Postby marcorossiuk » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:18 pm

Zukan wrote:Any decent shops local to you that you could demo both sets or could loan you the monitors for testing in your environment?

I rang a couple of local ones to me (Wigan) and they said they would have to order in so doubt they would loan me. Im probably gonna have to try Manchester.
marcorossiuk
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:02 pm

I assume there is no chance of at least some acoustic treatment at the mirror points? It won't help the bass and you'll probably still need to check that on cans but it will definitely help with everything else.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby marcorossiuk » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:13 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I assume there is no chance of at least some acoustic treatment at the mirror points? It won't help the bass and you'll probably still need to check that on cans but it will definitely help with everything else.

The problem is my wife lol. When we first moved into the house I claimed the room as my manroom and said id like to put some sound deadening tiles on the walls. Shutdown! "You're not sticking stuff to the bloody walls!" was the response. Are there any that you dont need to stick on the walls.....like mobile walls that you just pop up?
marcorossiuk
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:18 pm

You can hang most foam panels like pictures on picture hooks if you glue a suitable fitting to the back of the foam. PW famously uses old CD-Rs glued to the foam, with the centre hole slipping securely over picture hooks...

Or you can put up wooden battens as you would for shelving and mount the heavier types of panel to that.

Both approaches allow for easy removal with only very minor wall repairs should it be necessary at some point in the future.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:24 pm

If you are prepared to pay for commercially made panels Gik do them with a print on the front so you could just buy her a couple of nice, large 'pictures' ;)

https://gikacoustics.co.uk/product-category/acoustic-art-panels/
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:24 pm

There is one company who do panels that work with mic stands - can't remember who though. GIK maybe?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:27 pm

DIY free standing is also possible, ask 'blinddrew' ;)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:09 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:DIY free standing is also possible, ask 'blinddrew' ;)
Yeah but I wouldn't trust that guy, he hasn't got a clue what he's doing... ;)

Actually, if you designed them as such from scratch, DIY free standing would be pretty straight forward. In fact, there's an example towards the end of this thread: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 24&t=67269
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:11 pm

Which colors are the walls? I have white walls and white fabric on the panel and there's no issue at all.

About monitors, I just got a pair of iLoud micro monitors to my stepson and they are pretty amazing for the size. The only minus is that they look like old Logitech computer speakers :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby marcorossiuk » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:59 am

Wow! Lots of comments...Thankyou! I wasn't expecting so much input. My phone was dead so I just left it on charge, hence why I'm only replying now. The walls are pretty standard magnolia coloured. I will look into the DIY treatment or the ones you hang on hooks. That might work.

On the monitor front I am edging slightly to the ILoud MTM... Decisions decisions.
marcorossiuk
New here

Postby marcorossiuk » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:02 am

CS70 wrote:

About monitors, I just got a pair of iLoud micro monitors to my stepson and they are pretty amazing for the size. The only minus is that they look like old Logitech computer speakers :D
Haha that's exactly what I thought! And funnily enough logitech speakers are the 1st speakers I used to make music back in the day.
marcorossiuk
New here